nunyab

mena man + green card = can he go to spain?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So we have friends and family in spain.. we have a layover there and wanted to see them but I cannot find anywhere the type of visa he'll need to leave the airport for a night to see family??? any suggestions?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Spain is part of the EEC, therefore it's a Schegen visa:

http://www.maec.es/subwebs/Consulados/SanF...ondon.aspx#sec1

Last significant immigration event:

ROC: Approved : 04/17/2013

USCIS works in mysterious ways...

For USC's - no visa is required for visits (90 days or less). (passport must be valid for 90 days upon arrival - 6 months recommended).

Morocco citizens need a visa to visit Spain. (from what I am reading)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

I just went to the website and yes I understand he'll need a visa but even on that page i tried to click on the attachment and I can't seem to download it :(

I have the local Spainish consulates numbers I guess i'll call on monday..

Timeline
I just went to the website and yes I understand he'll need a visa but even on that page i tried to click on the attachment and I can't seem to download it :(

I have the local Spainish consulates numbers I guess i'll call on monday..

Oh yep, link is broken on the San Fransisco one.

Here is the file: http://www.maec.es/subwebs/SiteCollectionD...ios/Svisain.pdf

You'll probably need an invitation letter from your family, proof of enough incomes, insurance certificate valid in Europe and... A lot of luck.

Timeline
Oh yep, link is broken on the San Fransisco one.

Here is the file: http://www.maec.es/subwebs/SiteCollectionD...ios/Svisain.pdf

You'll probably need an invitation letter from your family, proof of enough incomes, insurance certificate valid in Europe and... A lot of luck.

well #######.. i guess it's not that easy.. we'll just have to wait until he gets the blue passport lol :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you have an overnight layover you can typically get a 24 hr exit visa. We have done this in London and Madrid. This however is given at the airport and at the discretion of the customs agent. We had zero trouble in London with this, however Madrid was a little more tricky. I think that you being together will make it much easier than if he were alone.

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
If you have an overnight layover you can typically get a 24 hr exit visa. We have done this in London and Madrid. This however is given at the airport and at the discretion of the customs agent. We had zero trouble in London with this, however Madrid was a little more tricky. I think that you being together will make it much easier than if he were alone.

thanks a bunch.. I think this will be the only way.. family could visit us at the airport hehehehe :unsure:

Timeline
well #######.. i guess it's not that easy.. we'll just have to wait until he gets the blue passport lol :star:

Yes, Schengen visa is a pain. As is it's for all Europe, they send a request to all european countries, if any of them say no, or doesn't answer in the delay, poof, denial.

For someone from MENA, let's say it, the probability of denial is very high.

The visa itself may be free, but the invitation letter is actually a form that requires a little fee. Your familly would have to go get it at fill it at their city hall. They also would have to justify enough incomes to welcome you and enough space in the house... It's a very intrusive process.

I tried 3 times for a pakistani friend, and it always got denied...

So yes, that's the kind of visit you want to do once your SO has the american passport. :)

Unless you can get that 24h visa at the airport.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

We'd like to do the same this summer -- land in Spain, do the tourist thing a bit, then drive to Morocco. From what I'm reading, it MIGHT be easier for him to get a Schengen visa since he has a 10-year green card and USC wife and child, but there's no guarantee. We'll probably avoid the hassle and wait for his naturalization also.

That reminds me -- I know USCs can enter Spain under the VWP, but VWP countries still have the discretion to turn someone away or require a visa, right? I just wonder how often dual U.S. citizens might be turned away from VWP countries or required to get a visa anyway based on their other nationality.

Yes, Schengen visa is a pain. As is it's for all Europe, they send a request to all european countries, if any of them say no, or doesn't answer in the delay, poof, denial.

For someone from MENA, let's say it, the probability of denial is very high.

Didn't catch this part earlier. Interesting.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband got a Schengen tourist visa to visit his brother in France when he had a greencard...it actually was relatively easy. After he submitted the application, he had to go to the closest French consulate and have proof of lodging, return airline reservation, and enough money in the bank for the trip. He had a 2 minute conversation with one of the consuls, and they approved him. The biggest pain was the money for the visa application and the travel to Atlanta, which is 5 hours away. The rest of it was pretty painless.

I think they are a lot more likely to give a visa to someone from MENA with a U.S. greencard than to someone without. It's not as much of a risk that they will decide to overstay their European visa if they have the right to live and work in the U.S.

Good luck!

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

The problem with Spain, for us here in Seattle, is that there is no local consulate. I contacted the one in San Francisco and they require an in person interview. Sure everyone has time to fly to SF on a weekday. :blink: Omar wanted to go for a day trip since spain is so close to oujda. That and all the paperwork they require (bank statements, work letter, invitation or hotel reservation, etc) we decided to fore go the visa this time. He will be eligible for citizenship soon and this will no longer be an issue, thank the Lord. :dance:

If you can fly through Amsterdam, you might try getting schengren visa through them. Last I knew there was a local lady in Redmond area. Very nice.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline

Hi Rajaa,

I was just reading all the threads. I got a schengen visa for my husband with absolutly no hassle. My husband is agreen card holder has been in th state for only less than 6 month, we didn;t need any relative letter or anything except a hotel reservation confirmation and our tickets reservation as well. We drove to houston and I meet the consulate office of spain she was very nice and helpful and we got a tourist visa for multiple entrie because we were going twice back from morocco to madrid. That was my experience we took woth us our bank statement and our credit card copy just incase the ask for something and to proof for them that we share . My husband wasn;t working. you can logg in to this web site even if is in chicago beacause that what I ahve been told by the sinsulate officer http://www.consulate-spain-chicago.com/. Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day and happy new year

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.