Julie & Juan

I-160 Hardship Waiver Interview Cuidad Juarez

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So my husband Juan went to Juarez to have his 2nd interview. The 1st was denied for illegal entry into the US and staying for longer than 1 year (he came here 08/2005 & left on his own accord 9/2006). The interview lasted an entire 10 minutes ( the hardship letter took me a few weeks to write) and they then told him that he will receive the answer in 2-5 business days. They instructed him to pick up the response at the DHL center in Juarez. So now he has to wait in a hotel for another week waiting for the response.

The only thing that seemed odd to me was that the consulate kept his passport. Is that normal? Do you really get the response in a few days? I was under the impression that they would tell him yes or no right then and there are the consulate.

Please share your experiences in Juarez so I dont feel so nervous! We began this process in July of 2007 and we are still waiting :( Yes we have a lawyer but he is not always the best person to ask when it comes to question slike this. He is only good with the paperwork side of things.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Julie :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Luck, si man. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
So my husband Juan went to Juarez to have his 2nd interview. The 1st was denied for illegal entry into the US and staying for longer than 1 year (he came here 08/2005 & left on his own accord 9/2006). The interview lasted an entire 10 minutes ( the hardship letter took me a few weeks to write) and they then told him that he will receive the answer in 2-5 business days. They instructed him to pick up the response at the DHL center in Juarez. So now he has to wait in a hotel for another week waiting for the response.

The only thing that seemed odd to me was that the consulate kept his passport. Is that normal? Do you really get the response in a few days? I was under the impression that they would tell him yes or no right then and there are the consulate.

Please share your experiences in Juarez so I dont feel so nervous! We began this process in July of 2007 and we are still waiting :( Yes we have a lawyer but he is not always the best person to ask when it comes to question slike this. He is only good with the paperwork side of things.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes!

The person who takes the hardship packet is different from the person who makes the decision. The adjudicator will take about 20 minutes to scan through the packet to determine if you are clearly approvable. If not, the case will be referred for further review. This can be becausey you did not prove extreme hardship of because of FBI/background checks. If you are referred boxes will be checked to inform you of the reason.

I think it has been close to a year since teh consulate in CDJ has employed the help of DHL. It used to be that people waited inside the consulate all day for decision. Now, the approval/referral notice is sent through DHL. If approved, the passport with visa will be inside along with documents to take to the bridge. If referred reasons for referral, directions for sending in additional evidence, and the passport will be inside.

Good luck. You sould be hearing something very soon.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.