dasaleph

German Driver's license in Texas

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't know if this is the right sub-forum to post it, but I'll try.

Shortly (if all goes well at the POE :unsure: ) I will life with my wife in El Paso, TX.

I read that I can use my German driver's license for half a year and then have to have a Texan driver's license.

Does anyone know if I have to do it all over again or if I can simply show my German driver's license at the DMV and get the Texan one?

CR-1 Journey

09-08-2008: Married

11-20-2008: I-130 sent to Chicago

02-24-2009: I-130 approved

10-29-2009: Case completed at NVC

11-24-2009: Medical exam in Munich

12-16-2009: Interview in Frankfurt : Approved

12-22-2009: Visa received

02-11-2010: POE: Atlanta

ROC

11-17-2011: Filed for removal of conditions

11-21-2011: NOA1

02-07-2012: Biometrics appointment

09-04-2012: I-797: Approved

09-18-2012: Card received

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

- Jack Handey

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

most states require that if you have never had a US license (or have allowed it to expire) will require some level of re-testing

YMMV

Timeline

Well, thanks.

I was kind of looking for the specific case of having a German driver's license and wanting to obtain a Texan one.

But thanks anyway.

Anyone else?

CR-1 Journey

ROC

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

- Jack Handey

Timeline
I don't know if this is the right sub-forum to post it, but I'll try.

Shortly (if all goes well at the POE :unsure: ) I will life with my wife in El Paso, TX.

I read that I can use my German driver's license for half a year and then have to have a Texan driver's license.

Does anyone know if I have to do it all over again or if I can simply show my German driver's license at the DMV and get the Texan one?

You will have to apply and Test..

xl91yv7f.png

Timeline
Well, thanks.

I was kind of looking for the specific case of having a German driver's license and wanting to obtain a Texan one.

But thanks anyway.

Anyone else?

A German, Canadian, UK license is a non-US license.... they are all treated the same

YMMV

From the Texas DPS website:

New residents from out-of-country:

* Proof of Identity. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.24.

* Proof of Social Security Number. (If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will need to complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) form.) 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.42, Texas Transportation Code 521.044.

* Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.

* Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.

* Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.

* Pass the written, driving* and vision examinations. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.52, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.56, Texas Transportation Code 521.161.

* Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.

* Applicant must provide vehicle.

More info here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administratio...swers_dl_id.htm

Edited by trillium13
24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
A German, Canadian, UK license is a non-US license.... they are all treated the same

Except for the Canadian ones... Those can simply be traded in for a US license.

I had to show proof of insurance for my car (say you don't have a car if you don't have one, obviously), my green card and provide a social security number (don't remember if I had to show the card, I might have). Then I was asked if I've ever held a license from any US state or territory, or Canadian province, and if so, if it had ever been suspended. Nope. OK, in that case: vision test, "written" test (multi choice on a computer: do download the TX drivers' handbook and try to memorize the sections re/teens and alcohol, everything else is common sense), and driving test. You bring the car (but don't drive yourself there ;) ), it has to be insured, registered and have a valid safety inspection. The driving test was pretty much the same as the German one, except much shorter.

Done. You get a printed paper license, and a few weeks later you'll receive your plastic card in the mail.

They don't care about German licenses at all ;)

But you can drive in Texas on one for a certain amount of time, 30 to 90 days after taking up residence, or up to a year if you're just visiting.

Edited by Kar_98

Timeline

Thank you very much for that detailed answer, Kar_98! :thumbs:

Would have been too easy if I just would have gotten the Texan driver's license for my German one.

But oh well. At least it's much less of an ordeal to get it in Texas than it is here.

Cheers!

CR-1 Journey

ROC

- Jack Handey

Timeline
Also much cheaper, by several orders of magnitude: $24.

Yeah, that is quite amazing! I mean, for $24 the driving instructor doesn't even shake your hand here. :yes:

CR-1 Journey

ROC

- Jack Handey

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Thank you very much for that detailed answer, Kar_98! :thumbs:

Would have been too easy if I just would have gotten the Texan driver's license for my German one.

But oh well. At least it's much less of an ordeal to get it in Texas than it is here.

Cheers!

We got so lucky in Washington! All my husband had to do was show his German license, his passport with his K1 and smile for the camera :)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline
We got so lucky in Washington! All my husband had to do was show his German license, his passport with his K1 and smile for the camera :)

Yeah, that's what I had hoped for since I have a very charming smile. :D

CR-1 Journey

ROC

- Jack Handey

Karin had to do both the 'written' and driving tests.

Supposedly this is changing (or has changed recently) to where a German Driver's license holder can get a TX DL with no testing (eye test required for sure though). A friend of ours got half way through her testing recently with only having taken the written test (when she got to the driving portion, they told her she didn't need to test and approved the DL). Plan on doing both and perhaps be pleasantly surprised. :star:

Karin had to do both the 'written' and driving tests.

Supposedly this is changing (or has changed recently) to where a German Driver's license holder can get a TX DL with no testing (eye test required for sure though). A friend of ours got half way through her testing recently with only having taken the written test (when she got to the driving portion, they told her she didn't need to test and approved the DL). Plan on doing both and perhaps be pleasantly surprised. :star:

That would be nice! Hubby got his back in May, and had to do both. I wonder if it depends on what county you're in or something.

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.