MoLuvsAcory

How soon can i apply for SS#

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello to all!!! Hope everyone is nice and warm. Presently in NY we are getting hit pretty hard by a snow storm & temperature is dropping. Anyhow, i have a question. How soon can i apply for a SS# for my SO? Is it necessary to wait until after the marriage or can i do it sooner than that?

She can apply for SSN as soon as she arrives in the U.S. and until two weeks before her I-94 expires.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Hello to all!!! Hope everyone is nice and warm. Presently in NY we are getting hit pretty hard by a snow storm & temperature is dropping. Anyhow, i have a question. How soon can i apply for a SS# for my SO? Is it necessary to wait until after the marriage or can i do it sooner than that?

It's cold here in Texas, but not as cold as you guys are (or will be soon) - sounds like its going to be a very white Christmas for some.

Your fiancé can apply for a SS Card/# shortly after arriving in the US. Can be before you guys get married or after. Having a SS# isn't necessary to get married (in most, if not all, states) nor to file AOS (so its up to you). You will need at least 14 days remaining on the I-94 though (if you don't, then you'll have to wait until either the EAD or PR/Green Card arrive). Best practices indicate she should apply shortly after arriving (Step 16 in the K-1 Flowchart).

Its pretty simple to apply for - there's a guide with a lot of helpful information (in the AOS Guides).

Timeline
It's cold here in Texas, but not as cold as you guys are (or will be soon) - sounds like its going to be a very white Christmas for some.

Your fiancé can apply for a SS Card/# shortly after arriving in the US. Can be before you guys get married or after. Having a SS# isn't necessary to get married (in most, if not all, states) nor to file AOS (so its up to you). You will need at least 14 days remaining on the I-94 though (if you don't, then you'll have to wait until either the EAD or PR/Green Card arrive). Best practices indicate she should apply shortly after arriving (Step 16 in the K-1 Flowchart).

Its pretty simple to apply for - there's a guide with a lot of helpful information (in the AOS Guides).

Thank you very much for the information. I will take a look @ k1 flowchart as well. My concerns are more so in regards to my SO looking about work. I know he will also need working papers. But if SS# can be applied for b4 marriage, then we will go ahead & get it done.

Timeline

We were waiting to hear if you were approved or not! Share your good news in the yardie forum please! We applied for ours 2 weeks and 2 days after his arrival! Good luck and Congrats to you!

Timeline

I'd read somewhere on this site that you need to wait at least a week for the fiance's information to get around the various gov't systems.

We waited 1-2 weeks then Steven applied for it. They said it would take 2 weeks to be delivered, but he received it in a week.

If you want to start adding your fiance to your accounts (such as bank accounts) now, it may be good to request it sooner rather than waiting until marriage.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Timeline
I'd read somewhere on this site that you need to wait at least a week for the fiance's information to get around the various gov't systems.

We waited 1-2 weeks then Steven applied for it. They said it would take 2 weeks to be delivered, but he received it in a week.

If you want to start adding your fiance to your accounts (such as bank accounts) now, it may be good to request it sooner rather than waiting until marriage.

Ok. Thanks for that information. I will get on top of that.

Timeline
Ok. Thanks for that information. I will get on top of that.

We applied a fews days after Garfield got here and they told him he needed to be in the country for at least 10 days because his info get put into the system. She took all his info and said that they will contact us if they need anything else. If not they will process it and send it in the mail.

Wedding Day: December 15, 2009

oMQjm5.png

AOS

02/17/10: AOS Sent via UPS (Thank you Lord) (Sent Cashier's Check)

02/18/10: AOS Delivered (Signed for by CHIBA @ 9:12am)

02/24/10: NOA-1 Received via Email & Text

02/26/10: NOA-1 Hard Copy Received in the mail (I-485, I-765 & I-131)

03/02/10: Online Status Check Available

03/09/10: Touch (I-485) - Case Transferred to CSC

03/13/10: Biometrics Letter Arrived(Appt 3/24/10) (Finally) - Notice Dated 3/3/10

03/15/10: Transfer of Case Notice arrived in the mail

03/24/10: Completed Biometrics

04/07/10: EAD Card Porduction Ordered

04/07/10: AP Approved

04/12/10: Received AP Hard Copy in the Mail

04/12/10: EAD Document Production Ordered again (dont know why)

04/13/10: EAD Post-Decision Activity (I think they mailed it out)

04/15/10: EAD Arrived in the Mail

09/14/10: AOS touched - Case transferred to National Benefits Center (SMDH)

09/17/10: AOS touched - Case transferred to USCIS for processing (SMDH)

09/28/10: Interview Letter came in the mail (Interview 10/27/10)

10/27/10: Interview Done (Thank God now we wait)

10/29/10: Card/Document Production Ordered

11/03/10: Card/Document Production Ordered

11/04/10: Post Decision Activity

11/08/10: Green Card Received (No more stress until October 2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.