vietazn

How early to show up for interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Is it first come first served?

The reports I got from Phuong and a couple of other girls is that it's not first come, first served. They said the numbers were not being called in order. It wasn't clear what the reason was for this. It is probably due, in part, to which CO your SO is assigned to. One CO might go through their cases faster than another. Also, some cases might need more time to go over the documents submitted at the interview, so the CO might not get to those cases as quickly. As a general rule, it's probably safe to say that a particular case will be completed sooner if your SO arrives early than it would be if she arrived later, but that doesn't mean a girl arriving an hour before another girl will be finished first.

I asked a few people who had interviewed previously in HCM, as well as Mr. Nam, what was the best time to arrive for the interview. The consensus was 1 to 1.5 hours before the appointment time. I asked Hahn, Ralph's wife, why some people arrive at 6am when they have a 9:30am appointment. She said "Because they're crazy!'. :blush:

Phuong arrived at 8:00am. They didn't get to her before lunch, so she had to come back at 1:00pm. She was finished by 2:00pm. Bernie and Elmer's SO's arrived early - around 6:00am or 6:30am I think. Bernie's fiancee was out at about 10:30am. Elmer's wife was out around 11:00am. Based on that, I'm guessing that Phuong might have been finished before lunch if she'd come at 6:00am, but there's no way to know for sure.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

When it comes to dealing with the Gov't, of any kind, you are the one that should be waiting, ie. your local drive license office. So unless your S/O has other "more important" things to do on that interview day than the interview itself, go head, pick your own time. You have to grasp the bigger picture, lots and I mean lots of people are there on any given day. Waiting numbers are given out on a first-arrived, first given-out basis. You'll have a number eventually, BUT your waiting time is also pushes back, as the day progresses with more complicated cases.

Most important factor you have to consider, all C/Os are human and they will get tired and cranky as the day progresses. So do you still want to use this mentality:" Urgh, my appointment is at 1000AM and I was here one hour before that time. Am I doing something wrong?".

Probably no, but not smart, either.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It was not first come first serve. My wife had a 9am appointment...got there at 7am. But she was the last one out right before lunch.

When you turn in your appointment letter, they will give you a number. Even the number is not in any kind of order. She noticed some people got smaller number but went last.

so...who knows...what system they have...

Linh & Ngan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.