baron555

Wonders of the new World

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Interesting.. I live in Moscow at the moment. It's more than 'urban'. During my visits to the US and in my everyday life I met people from Texas, MA (Boston), New York and New Jersey. None of them were neither stupid, nor bad.

They were friendly, intelligent, joking. Most of those with whom I was communicating - were people who achieved certain goals in life, people who look into the future and know how to get there changing 'Today'.

May be I was lucky. But I am going to stay that way.

The reason that most of the Americans you meet overseas are likable and open-minded is because Americans who travel beyond Mexico and Canada tend to be curious and intelligent by nature. (note: there are stupid and annoying Americans who travel beyond Mexico and Canada, but you can usually identify them by their loud shirts, loud voices, and they'll be the idiots whining about how they can't get ice in their Coke.) Stupid Americans, on the other hand, stay in their own home towns all their life, and think going overseas means going to a Western style resort in Acapulco. They think they are worldly travelers because they once went to the Canadian side of Niagara for their cousin's wedding. They are afraid of anybody with brown skin, and they think Jesus wants us to destroy any countries with brown skinned people. They hate Europe because...well nobody's really sure why they hate Europeans, but they hate them SO much! If you want to meet stupid Americans, Kansas is a great place to do it. Or Walmart. (I hear tell there's a Walmart in Kansas where the stupidity is so concentrated that it's actually formed a singularity of stupid where, if you go past the event horizon, all you can see is Carrie Underwood singing "Jesus take the wheel." It's science.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Mox, you're not saying Americans are stupid...you're saying WHITE Americans are stupid. If that is true you're in luck because in a few years white people will be in the minority and "brown skin" people will have the majority say.

So...if I follow you're Huffington Post style of analysis of Americans, we should be a very smart and wonderful country very soon.

Mox, you're not saying Americans are stupid...you're saying WHITE Americans are stupid. If that is true you're in luck because in a few years white people will be in the minority and "brown skin" people will have the majority say.

So...if I follow you're Huffington Post style of analysis of Americans, we should be a very smart and wonderful country very soon.

Meh, I'm just being satirical. Don't read too much into it. Stupid comes in many flavors. White people made stupid fashionable, but we don't have the corner on it. ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I met Americans overseas and in the US, Mox. Actually most of them - inside the US (Russians travel too, even women, even brides).

And Americans i met live in the cities or in the countryside. It doesn't matter.

They are good people.

I'm not going to defend your country in your eyes for you, guys :).

Just an Idea - each time Mr.Complainer thinks that America is bad - he should do something good.

And enjoy the difference he brought to the world.

Happy Christmas !

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Don't take what I say too seriously Kailey. :) You're right...your average American will give you the shirt of his back if you need it. We are charitable, always ready with a smile, and have a powerful spirit of independence. We are not without our faults, but we do occasionally learn from our mistakes. :) I am at times highly critical of my country, but there's nowhere else I'd rather call home. Your experiences with Americans doesn't surprise me, and I'm glad you made some friends from here. :)

But seriously, what's the f*cking deal with Carrie Underwood?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I feel strange posting an on-topic reply, after this thread has gone so horribly awry.

Nevertheless, here goes...

As discussed earlier in the thread (when it was actually on topic), my wife has also discovered many new things, wonderful and amazing. However, there were a couple of things I really thought she WOULD find amazing, yet she DOES NOT.

For instance, peanut butter. I really thought she would love it, but she could care less.

More astonishing, she hates pancakes and maple syrup! What?? How is this possible? She not only dislikes it, but seems offended by the taste and smell of the syrup. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just my crazy wife??

Edited by Scott and Iryna

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

As discussed earlier in the thread (when it was actually on topic), my wife has also discovered many new things, wonderful and amazing. However, there were a couple of things I really thought she WOULD find amazing, yet she DOES NOT.

For instance, peanut butter. I really thought she would love it, but she could care less.

More astonishing, she hates pancakes and maple syrup! What?? How is this possible? She not only dislikes it, but seems offended by the taste and smell of the syrup. Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just my crazy wife??

My wife is somewhat indifferent to peanut butter, but will on occasion eat it on toast. However, she loves pancakes and maple syrup, and insists I make pancakes for breakfast at least one day of the weekend.

Timeline

I have to actually bring 2 jars of peanut butter with me to Russia, so that should tell you how my SO feels about it. And she loves pancakes and syrup.

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One of the things my wife was most amazed with was....the roads! She couldn't believe how flat and smooth they were.

She was also very impressed with how clean everything is, the lack of trash, etc....I've told her that sort of depends on where you are.

Let's see what else....

Movie theatres (especially the IMAX we saw Batman in)

Khol's, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, Frys, etc.

Friendlyness of most people and how much they smile, greet one another, and are polite.

Nature. She'd only seen squirrels a few times in her life...here they are all over the place. She really freaks out when she sees deer or the occasional racoon or opposum.

Grocery stores...how many we have and how large they are, size of aisles, etc. Fruits and vegetables year round.

Internet speeds...we've got about 25Mbps atm...she was getting around 1-5Kbps before. (probably why she DLs anything and everything)

Cheap Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations. Apparently they were hard to come by.

Those are a few off the top of my head...I'm sure I'm leaving out some big ones though.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline
Meh, I'm just being satirical. Don't read too much into it. Stupid comes in many flavors. White people made stupid fashionable, but we don't have the corner on it. ;)

Ah...satire. I was too stupid to get it. Please cut me some slack...I'm a white American.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Darn... I was afraid it was just my crazy wife that doesn't like pancakes and syrup...

Another thing she finds new and amazing... skunks. Unsurprisingly, she is not impressed.

Ирина и Скотт (Iryna and Scott)

Feb 25, 2008 - Sent K-1 petition to VSC

Feb 25, 2008 - Received NOA1

May 30, 2008 - Received NOA2! Woo-hoo!

Jul 18, 2008 - Interviewed in Kiev. Everything went well!

Jul 24, 2008 - Visa received. Yippee!

Jul 31, 2008 - Visited my girl, and we spent my birthday in Odessa!

Aug 05, 2008 - We both arrive in America. Hooray!

Oct 31, 2008 - Married!

Timeline

My wife has not demonstrated a lot of "shock" and "wow" comments about very much here. She likes some foods better here, others see likes Russian better. She does like that our local area is clean and well taken care of.

She has commented drivers are better here than Russia with less crazy traffic jams..which tells me just how bad it must be on the Russian roads.

Overall, not much has garnered special comments one way or the other. Only thing I can offer is she was surprised how ugly and poorly dressed Americans are. Both men and women. And I'm sure Mox would agree. :)

My wife has not demonstrated a lot of "shock" and "wow" comments about very much here. She likes some foods better here, others see likes Russian better. She does like that our local area is clean and well taken care of.

She has commented drivers are better here than Russia with less crazy traffic jams..which tells me just how bad it must be on the Russian roads.

Overall, not much has garnered special comments one way or the other. Only thing I can offer is she was surprised how ugly and poorly dressed Americans are. Both men and women. And I'm sure Mox would agree. :)

Hehe, yep on everything you posted. :) She wasn't surprised about much, and mostly notes anything different without much surprise. Sort of like we all did when visiting her country. "Oh, coat checks. Interesting." My wife did say, however, that Americans must be worse drivers because they are so careful. :P

Timeline
Hehe, yep on everything you posted. :) She wasn't surprised about much, and mostly notes anything different without much surprise. Sort of like we all did when visiting her country. "Oh, coat checks. Interesting." My wife did say, however, that Americans must be worse drivers because they are so careful. :P

I would agree on driving - when in Boston i was told that traffic there is just awful and drivers are crazy and rude ... hmm... then this is what I saw: polite people queueing in a traffic jam.. noone tried to drive on the sidewalk, noone was using a horn every 3 minutes just to vent, noone did set up a purchased on the black market police siren on the car roof and started a siren forcing the way (that happend in Russia quite often at the late 80s-90s:) ).

In Texas with its straight roads that just whisper 'let's drive faster, road is so clean and straight' people still seem to drive 60 if the sign says '60'. I understand that not 100% drive like this and yes, you can see a daredevil here and there but that's the key word: 'here and there', and not everywhere :).

Actually that topic made me curious - would an average ( by 'average' I mean not criminal, not on drugs, just a good citizen that has no time to spend in a traffic jam) American driver use a sidewalk to shorten the way? Or drive behind a tram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram ) ON tram road using tram as a shield? :)

+ I remebered one more 'wonder' - size of plates (portion) in restaurants!!! :blink:

Also that people you see for the 1st time in your life start a conversation and you can talk for 5-10 min as if you know each other for years :) . That can happen in Russia too but not as often as in the USA.

Edited by Kailey

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.