darkchilde794

Social Security Card Bah Humbug!

22 posts in this topic

So I went to the office last Thursday and brought my passport with visa/I-94, Canadian driver's license, marriage license and the form they wanted me to fill out. And when I got to the local agent/personnel, I was told that I cant get my name changed until I get my GC. She said that USCIS has not updated my file yet and so my number is "locked" in my maiden name and can't be changed to my married name.

I received a SSN in my maiden name when I first arrived here, then wanted to change it after I got married (I haven't even applied for AOS yet, will be submitting applications at the end of the month).

The woman at the SSO told me it couldn't be done because I had to change my name with USCIS first. Disheartened, I came home and browsed the topic on these forums and learned it COULD be done. So I went back to the SSO. I anticipated some resistance so I brought along a copy of their policies, an email I received from their head office and asked to speak to a manager. Even the manager told me it couldn't be done, but I was firm (but polite) in my position. Finally the manager told the customer service rep to just try putting it through... and what do you know, it worked! Got my new SSN card in my married name less than a week later in the mail.

Next up: my fight with California DMV. I was told by their customer service line (by 3 different agents) that Canada is considered "out of state" and can get the driving test waived if they have a valid license (which makes sense to me). However, everyone on this board from Canada has had to take the test. Will I be successful? I'm not optimistic but Tune in Dec 21st to find out... :lol:

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Filed: Other Timeline

Hugglebuggles-Lol..You are going to get a 3rd SSN card in the future too...as when you get US Citizenship, they issue you another SSN card......:lol:....

Seriously though, I'm going to side with you on this one.....(sorry hugglebuggles' husband)

On a technical level, yes, on the back of the SSN cards, it does say..."property of the Social Security Administration..blah, blah, blah...

But...as long as they don't want it back, and don't demand such from you, then I don't see any reason as to why you can't keep it.

Besides, with all the grief they have put you through, think of it as a "souvenir" for your time and troubles with the SSA..lol....

Just make sure though, that you keep all those cards in a safe place, and "not carry it with you", as specified, and keep it safe from identity theft too.

As for the USCIS.....wish they let us keep all those cards and documents....they have to be "surrendered/exchanged" for a naturalization certificate when one goes for the citizenship process...unfair, indeed! (especially considering the grief in having to deal with them)

Hope this helps too....

Ant (still keeping my 2 valid SSN cards and 2 valid driver's licenses....)

I have 2 SSN cards too ant. One is in my married name and one is in my maiden name. Should I shred one or keep it for some reason? My husband keeps telling me to shred it but it seems wrong, like shredding government property or something.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

Miranda&John-Good luck with the California DMV.....Lol..From my experience, the DMV is way better than the USCIS or SSA....

As for exchanging Canadian to US driver's licenses...It varies from state to state...Some states allow it, some don't..

For example, here in New York State, they allowed me to do such..In and out in 10 mins...From Canadian License to American License....lol....

Hopefully your state is one that does allow this direct exchange....If not, then good luck on your driving tests!

On the bright side, at least you have prior driving experience, so that will be easier, indeed! Good luck!

Ant

Next up: my fight with California DMV. I was told by their customer service line (by 3 different agents) that Canada is considered "out of state" and can get the driving test waived if they have a valid license (which makes sense to me). However, everyone on this board from Canada has had to take the test. Will I be successful? I'm not optimistic but Tune in Dec 21st to find out... :lol:

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, so its two against one and I'm going to keep it! :lol: I guess I'll just collect them. At some point I need to go down to the SSN office and get the work conditions removed from it as well, so maybe I'll end up with 4. But I agree, with all the grief I've been given I diverse it!

Hugglebuggles-Lol..You are going to get a 3rd SSN card in the future too...as when you get US Citizenship, they issue you another SSN card......:lol:....

Seriously though, I'm going to side with you on this one.....(sorry hugglebuggles' husband)

On a technical level, yes, on the back of the SSN cards, it does say..."property of the Social Security Administration..blah, blah, blah...

But...as long as they don't want it back, and don't demand such from you, then I don't see any reason as to why you can't keep it.

Besides, with all the grief they have put you through, think of it as a "souvenir" for your time and troubles with the SSA..lol....

Just make sure though, that you keep all those cards in a safe place, and "not carry it with you", as specified, and keep it safe from identity theft too.

As for the USCIS.....wish they let us keep all those cards and documents....they have to be "surrendered/exchanged" for a naturalization certificate when one goes for the citizenship process...unfair, indeed! (especially considering the grief in having to deal with them)

Hope this helps too....

Ant (still keeping my 2 valid SSN cards and 2 valid driver's licenses....)

I have 2 SSN cards too ant. One is in my married name and one is in my maiden name. Should I shred one or keep it for some reason? My husband keeps telling me to shred it but it seems wrong, like shredding government property or something.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello! I'd very much like to see the documents you referred to when making your case with the social security office. I went today and they told me the same thing. We need to update my wife's I-94 with USCIS in order to issue her a social security card with her new married name. I admire your tenacity, and want to do the same thing, but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I'd very much like to see the documents you referred to when making your case with the social security office. I went today and they told me the same thing. We need to update my wife's I-94 with USCIS in order to issue her a social security card with her new married name. I admire your tenacity, and want to do the same thing, but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks!

This thread is a couple of years old, so I am not sure that everything still applies in it....I didn't read through it all. It is a bit of a hassle to change the name on the SS card if you have not filed AOS. The SS office runs off of the SAVE system, and they are only able to issue a card in the name that is in that system. You do not have your timeline filled out so I am unsure if you have filed for AOS yet. If you have, once you get your NOA1 it should be in your married name (assuming that you applied for AOS in your married name) and you should then be able to get your card updated to your married name as you will have been updated in the SAVE system. You may be best to wait until you have your EAD (if applied for) or your green card to change the name as you will be able to have the disclaimer of work being allowed with DHS authroization only on it (and save you another trip to the office for that). I had no issue having my SSN in my maiden name until I was able to change it.

Why oh why does the SSA hire such people? If you are having trouble getting the SSC in her married name. Go back and get it her maiden name. Use the passport, I-94 (as long as there is still about 2 weeks before the expiration date as the SSA will not issue a SSN to anyone whose I-94 is past the 74th day), the K-1 visa to prove that she is eligible to work with proper DHS authorization, and her birth certificate. That will proved them with identy, immigration status, work eligibility, and age. I noticed their website has changed and they are requiring two documents for proof. When we applied for Roza's SSC she just used the passport and I-94. Once you have obtained the SSC in the maiden name, go back with the original marriage certificate to show the marriage and get the name changed. The hardest part of this is getting them to issue a SSN in the first place. Once obtained the process goes much better.

This is one reason I am glad ROza decided to keep her maiden name during the whole immigration process and she may change it if she becomes a citizen.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.