vermontcostarica

Living Abroad Process Logistics IR-1/CR-1

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

We are living together in Costa Rica we have our marriage certificate. Direct Consular Filing isn't an option because I (the US Citizen) don't have 6 months of legal residency in the country. So ok...IR-1/CR-1.

Is there any possibility to complete this process with me living in Costa Rica with all the document mailings, signatures, payments etc.? I'm assuming that I'll have to have the documents fedexed to me by my parents or something...and then send them back to USCIS??!!

Any ideas?

You all are beautiful.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I think it will be possible although you will have to prove domicile. I'd wait for the others to chime in.

Good luck.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
We are living together in Costa Rica we have our marriage certificate. Direct Consular Filing isn't an option because I (the US Citizen) don't have 6 months of legal residency in the country. So ok...IR-1/CR-1.

Is there any possibility to complete this process with me living in Costa Rica with all the document mailings, signatures, payments etc.? I'm assuming that I'll have to have the documents fedexed to me by my parents or something...and then send them back to USCIS??!!

Any ideas?

You all are beautiful.

Me and my hubby are living in Brazil since our wedding. What we did was that we sent all the docts to his parents and have them forwarding to the USCIS. We are also applying for his residency down here, just in case, but that can take a long time.

Before he moved to BR, he changed his address to his parent's place, so all his mail, such as bank statements, credit card bills etc are been delivered at his parents.

We didnt have any problems so far. And I hope the consul will not pick on us at the interview! Good luck :thumbs:

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Yes, no problem living in another country and filing your stuff directly with USCIS/NVC (we did it). Just give them your address in Costa Rica, your documents can be mailed there and you can mail/courier them back.

If you would prefer to use your parents address, or have them mail the stuff back for you after forwarding to them - you can do that too.

Timeline
Hi,

Yes, no problem living in another country and filing your stuff directly with USCIS/NVC (we did it). Just give them your address in Costa Rica, your documents can be mailed there and you can mail/courier them back.

If you would prefer to use your parents address, or have them mail the stuff back for you after forwarding to them - you can do that too.

So can we mail stuff to the USCIS/NVC directly from Brazil?

Somebody told me we would have to have my in-laws sending, and I thought that was silly but I didn't want to take any risks. It's such a pain because it takes some time to get the mail there and then more time until his parents send it to the USCIS. :blink:

I-130 timeline:

NVC Journey:

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

6 MONTHS LATER......

Timeline

Well, all I can say is we did it, from Canada. They sent all the stuff to our Canadian address, didn't seem to be a problem. Not sure why someone would tell you that so I can't really speak to that.

Timeline

Thanks all -

So Trailmix,

you guys were both in Canada living and they didn't ask you to prove domicile in the US for any reason?

Well, all I can say is we did it, from Canada. They sent all the stuff to our Canadian address, didn't seem to be a problem. Not sure why someone would tell you that so I can't really speak to that.

Timeline

Thanks!!! I don't mind too much receiving the papers directly, but the problem is to send them to USA. Takes too long and the fast way is too expansive. Anyway, it's good to know! Thanks a lot :)

** Canada is a beautiful country :)

I-130 timeline:

NVC Journey:

2 YEARS LATER......

6 MONTHS LATER......

Timeline
Thanks all -

So Trailmix,

you guys were both in Canada living and they didn't ask you to prove domicile in the US for any reason?

Absolutely I had to prove 'reestablishing' domicile - all sponsors not living in the U.S. have to prove domicile or intent to reestablish it :)

Yes it is Mrs. Silverman, thanks!

Another option, if you decide to use your parent's address, if you follow the guides on VJ you can really pretty much send them everything in advance that NVC will need so after you pay your fees online (at the NVC stage) you can tell them when to send a particular envelope for the DS-230 or the I-864. While you are waiting for your I-130 to be approved you have a few months to gather all civil documents you will need, download and sign all the forms and get them to them before they are needed.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Maybe I don't know what "domicile" is. If you were in CANADA what does that mean?

Thanks all -

So Trailmix,

Absolutely I had to prove 'reestablishing' domicile - all sponsors not living in the U.S. have to prove domicile or intent to reestablish it :)

Another option, if you decide to use your parent's address, if you follow the guides on VJ you can really pretty much send them everything in advance that NVC will need so after you pay your fees on line there you can tell them when to send a particular envelope for the DS-230 or the I-864. While you are waiting for your I-130 to be approved you have a few months to gather all civil documents you will need, download and sign all the forms and get them to them before they are needed.

Timeline

Thanks for that info...Duh....I can collect all the forms and have them pre-signed and arranged for sending? That seems like a fantastic option. Thanks Trailmix! :thumbs:

Thanks all -

So Trailmix,

Another option, if you decide to use your parent's address, if you follow the guides on VJ you can really pretty much send them everything in advance that NVC will need so after you pay your fees online (at the NVC stage) you can tell them when to send a particular envelope for the DS-230 or the I-864. While you are waiting for your I-130 to be approved you have a few months to gather all civil documents you will need, download and sign all the forms and get them to them before they are needed.

I did exactly that. I was living and working in El Salvador when I met my wife. We married here and lived together here. I also couldn't meet the requirements for DCF so I forwared all of the papers to my mother and she sent them to USCIS and then later to NVC. Domicile for me never was an issue because I'm a missionary and we're are exempt from proving domicile. My advice would be to send all the papers like you were living in the US. They will not know you are living with your wife in Costa Rica and therefore shouldn't have any problem. We had our interview yesterday and were approved for the CR-1.

Timeline

Thanks Trailmix, that's a great idea! Also, how did you prove you were going to reestablish domicile in the US? As he is down here we are using his parents as co-sponsors, so do we still need to prove it or only my in-laws?

I did exactly that. I was living and working in El Salvador when I met my wife. We married here and lived together here. I also couldn't meet the requirements for DCF so I forwared all of the papers to my mother and she sent them to USCIS and then later to NVC. Domicile for me never was an issue because I'm a missionary and we're are exempt from proving domicile. My advice would be to send all the papers like you were living in the US. They will not know you are living with your wife in Costa Rica and therefore shouldn't have any problem. We had our interview yesterday and were approved for the CR-1.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:dance:

Edited by Mrs. Silverman

I-130 timeline:

NVC Journey:

2 YEARS LATER......

6 MONTHS LATER......

Timeline

Wow congratulations Abiding! Thanks for your input. And...congratulations, congratulations congratulations!!

Timeline
Thanks Trailmix, that's a great idea! Also, how did you prove you were going to reestablish domicile in the US? As he is down here we are using his parents as co-sponsors, so do we still need to prove it or only my in-laws?

Your Husband, as the U.S. citizen, will also have to prove domicile or intent to reestablish domicile no later than the intending immigrant.

Although you are using a joint sponsor, he is still the primary sponsor and of course will fill out an I-864.

There is a thread about proving intent to reestablish domicile here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164618

Also be sure to check out all of the instructions about domicile on the I-864.

Maybe I don't know what "domicile" is. If you were in CANADA what does that mean?

No, you do understand, I mean 'domicile' means you are actually living there - even if, say you lived in another country temporarily for a couple of months (how much time you have been out of the U.S. is one important factor), if you have your residence and money and car etc etc all still in the U.S. - for immigration purposes you are probably still considered 'domiciled' there.

But, there are many cases where a spouse has immigrated to another country and can't really be considered domiciled in the U.S. anymore - that is where the 'reestablishing' domicile part comes in.

Anyway, if you read the thread above it will probably make more sense :)

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.