SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

:D :D :D

It's over. At last! I fell asleep before he called, and then when he did call me at 5am I went right back to sleep. I am SO glad I took today off! I will post more later today after he and I have spoken again (which should be pretty soon), but he told me it went OK except for the time between the first document check and the actual interview, when he felt like he was going to, um, throw up? I think it was nerves and the hangover. :angry: Anyway, the interview was fine, he was able to self-sponsor no problem and now he's back at his flat. :D

I have SO much to do but I will come back with more details. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE FINALLY DID IT! Thanks SO much to all of you for EVERYTHING the last six months. :luv: :luv: :luv:

Congrats, little miss.star_smile.gif Let's figure out some time to have dinner one of these days.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey All,

Just thought I'd post a summary of my K1 interview experience in London. Had it on the 27th Oct at 9am.

Lexi, my fiancee, was over so was able to attend with me. She certainly helped to organise and calm me down. For some reason, even though we knew there was really nothing they could refuse us on, I was a total bag of nerves and terrified of the Entry Clearance Officer giving me a stern and incontestible "Denied."

As the trains were a total rip-off, we opted to catch the National Express coach from Leeds to London at midnight. At that time it takes 6 hours to get there, with 10 stops along the way. Sure, it saved us a LOT of money, but neither of us managed to get any sleep, so we were pretty groggy when it arrived at Victoria Coach Station. We then strolled up towards Hyde Park and Marble Arch. It was pretty weird to wander around a pre-dawn London. The streets were virtually deserted, even outside Buckingham Palace.

After getting some much-needed breakfast (and taking a much-needed leak) at McDonalds on Oxford Street, we made our way to Grosvenor Square. We soon came to the famous Gould Pharmacy, where we handed over our electronic gizmos for storage and got my passport photos taken. Clearly, they get tons of business from visa applicants as they really had their stuff in order and fixed us up in 5 mins. So, then it was round the corner to the embassy to join the snake line of interviewees outside the security booth. Even just before 8am there were a good 30 people in front of us.

The line moved pretty fast. The officers were pleasant enough and going through was just like going through an airport security check. I hadn't called them to say Lexi was going to be attending, but it was no problem. They checked to make sure she was on my docs as my fiancee, looked at her passport, scribbled her name on my appointment letter, then waved us on.

Inside the embassy foyer, I handed the receptionist my letter and she gave me a number. We then entered the waiting area, which was far more pleasant than I expected. I guess I thought it'd be like a hospital waiting room, but it was more like a hotel lounge, albeit with no tables, only chairs, and a dozen windows off to the side behind which the staff sat. We took a seat and stared like everyone else at the screens, waiting for our number to be called to whatever window.

We were fully prepared for a wait of up to 5 hours, but we were fortunate. Things moved fast and after about an hour our number came up.

A word of advice: make sure you have your interview letter, birth/adoption certificate, police certificate and affidavit(s) of support ready to go. You don't want to be fumbling around in your files and peeving the person behind the glass off. Thanks to my super-organised girl, I was able to give the guy just what he asked for. No questions at this stage; he was just fingerprinting, processing and checking. He was British and very officious. Not rude, just kind of abrupt. Anyway, the only other thing I had to do was pay the $300 fee at the next window, which I did in a couple of minutes by Debit Card. After I handed over the receipt, he told me to return to the waiting area til I was called again.

It took about another hour before I was called again. This time we knew it'd be the interview. Maybe it was lack of sleep or getting step one done, but I didn't feel too nervous at that point. I wandered round, files in hand, to another window where a very friendly American chap took my fingerprints again, made me swear to tell the truth and asked me some questions:

How did you two meet?

When did you first meet in person?

What do you do for a living?

What does she do?

Where are you going to live?

This all sounds like an interrogation and very cold, but this guy was so nice it was like a chat and I wasn't nervous at all so the answers just flowed out freely and accurately. Then he told me that our case was extremely straightforward and we were approved. He gave me a pink form to complete so the courier could send my passport and immigration package to me then sent me on my way with a smile.

I was beaming. I'd have skipped down that corridor had I not been loaded down with coats, drinks and my forms! I told Lexi the good news and we wasted no time in completing the form and handing it over at the DX Courier counter at the back of the hall. We opted for 3-5 working day delivery before 10am. It cost £25. It took a couple of days for my item to appear on their website, but it's there now and scheduled to be delivered on Monday (3 working days).

So yeah, it was surprisingly swift and painless. Walking out of there, I think we both felt a massive weight had been lifted.

We spent the next few hours enjoying the sights of London. Unfortunately, we had a 'mare getting home as there was a crash on Park Lane that brought the traffic everywhere to a near-standstill. The coach was delayed by an hour and took 5 hours to get us home. We arrived home absolutely shattered, but, hey, it's a small price to pay. Now we can finally be together.

Hope all you guys have as easy an experience as us, and a positive outcome.

Nick

Edited by Going Green

OUR TIMELINE:

Met in June 2009 a silly little comment, that changed our lives forever...

I-129F sent: April 19, 2010

APPROVED October 27, 2010

MARRIED NOVEMBER 20, 2010!!!

AOS: Sent March 2nd

Recieved March 3rd

NOA1 March 8th!!! via txt

Hey All,

Just thought I'd post a summary of my K1 interview experience in London. Had it on the 27th Oct at 9am.

Lexi, my fiancee, was over so was able to attend with me. She certainly helped to organise and calm me down. For some reason, even though we knew there was really nothing they could refuse us on, I was a total bag of nerves and terrified of the Entry Clearance Officer giving me a stern and incontestible "Denied."

As the trains were a total rip-off, we opted to catch the National Express coach from Leeds to London at midnight. At that time it takes 6 hours to get there, with 10 stops along the way. Sure, it saved us a LOT of money, but neither of us managed to get any sleep, so we were pretty groggy when it arrived at Victoria Coach Station. We then strolled up towards Hyde Park and Marble Arch. It was pretty weird to wander around a pre-dawn London. The streets were virtually deserted, even outside Buckingham Palace.

After getting some much-needed breakfast (and taking a much-needed leak) at McDonalds on Oxford Street, we made our way to Grosvenor Square. We soon came to the famous Gould Pharmacy, where we handed over our electronic gizmos for storage and got my passport photos taken. Clearly, they get tons of business from visa applicants as they really had their stuff in order and fixed us up in 5 mins. So, then it was round the corner to the embassy to join the snake line of interviewees outside the security booth. Even just before 8am there were a good 30 people in front of us.

The line moved pretty fast. The officers were pleasant enough and going through was just like going through an airport security check. I hadn't called them to say Lexi was going to be attending, but it was no problem. They checked to make sure she was on my docs as my fiancee, looked at her passport, scribbled her name on my appointment letter, then waved us on.

Inside the embassy foyer, I handed the receptionist my letter and she gave me a number. We then entered the waiting area, which was far more pleasant than I expected. I guess I thought it'd be like a hospital waiting room, but it was more like a hotel lounge, albeit with no tables, only chairs, and a dozen windows off to the side behind which the staff sat. We took a seat and stared like everyone else at the screens, waiting for our number to be called to whatever window.

We were fully prepared for a wait of up to 5 hours, but we were fortunate. Things moved fast and after about an hour our number came up.

A word of advice: make sure you have your interview letter, birth/adoption certificate, police certificate and affidavit(s) of support ready to go. You don't want to be fumbling around in your files and peeving the person behind the glass off. Thanks to my super-organised girl, I was able to give the guy just what he asked for. No questions at this stage; he was just fingerprinting, processing and checking. He was British and very officious. Not rude, just kind of abrupt. Anyway, the only other thing I had to do was pay the $300 fee at the next window, which I did in a couple of minutes by Debit Card. After I handed over the receipt, he told me to return to the waiting area til I was called again.

It took about another hour before I was called again. This time we knew it'd be the interview. Maybe it was lack of sleep or getting step one done, but I didn't feel too nervous at that point. I wandered round, files in hand, to another window where a very friendly American chap took my fingerprints again, made me swear to tell the truth and asked me some questions:

How did you two meet?

When did you first meet in person?

What do you do for a living?

What does she do?

Where are you going to live?

This all sounds like an interrogation and very cold, but this guy was so nice it was like a chat and I wasn't nervous at all so the answers just flowed out freely and accurately. Then he told me that our case was extremely straightforward and we were approved. He gave me a pink form to complete so the courier could send my passport and immigration package to me then sent me on my way with a smile.

I was beaming. I'd have skipped down that corridor had I not been loaded down with coats, drinks and my forms! I told Lexi the good news and we wasted no time in completing the form and handing it over at the DX Courier counter at the back of the hall. We opted for 3-5 working day delivery before 10am. It cost £25. It took a couple of days for my item to appear on their website, but it's there now and scheduled to be delivered on Monday (3 working days).

So yeah, it was surprisingly swift and painless. Walking out of there, I think we both felt a massive weight had been lifted.

We spent the next few hours enjoying the sights of London. Unfortunately, we had a 'mare getting home as there was a crash on Park Lane that brought the traffic everywhere to a near-standstill. The coach was delayed by an hour and took 5 hours to get us home. We arrived home absolutely shattered, but, hey, it's a small price to pay. Now we can finally be together.

Hope all you guys have as easy an experience as us, and a positive outcome.

Nick

Thanks for posting such an in-depth account! Our interview is Wednesday, and I sent this link to my fiance to read so he'd have a much more detailed expectation of how it will go. Congratulations on being approved!

Edited by ECWilloughbys

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

Hey All,

Agree with EC - and don't forget to Copy/paste the whole thing into the VJ reviews database (There's a handy link when you view your timeline to submit your review!)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Timeline

I just checked the Dx Courier website.

Due for delivery on the date below. Rearrange online or call 0844 371 3331

03/11/2010

Somebody please pinch me, this feels very surreal.

We are sorted. Mister Coffeemuse, here i come (L)

I just emailed him at work, he has no idea! Im shaking with shock tu boot. Time for the answer to all lifes problems. A cup of tea.

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

03/11/2010

I just emailed him at work, he has no idea! Im shaking with shock tu boot. Time for the answer to all lifes problems. A cup of tea.

Hooray!!! Congrats! You've both been waiting so long, that's great news!

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

03/11/2010

I needed pinching, I was like - it's going to be delivered in 4 months in MARCH?! No wait, it says it was already delivered in March! No nononono! I'm reading the date in American, and she's written it in British. :D

Glad to see that it's on it's way, after they made you wait extra long. :)

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Right! The month and day are backwards from America! Well, I think when my dad was in the Air Force they did it day/month/year also, which actually makes sense going from smaller date unit to larger but oh well, America is dafty about some things or as Twinkles would say "crazy Americans".

It was a long wait for sure. I updated my post in the general K1 section also. Muchas Gracias!

Yes, I'm pinching myself too!

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thanks for posting such an in-depth account! Our interview is Wednesday, and I sent this link to my fiance to read so he'd have a much more detailed expectation of how it will go. Congratulations on being approved!

What's the status? Any news yet?? Fingers crossed for you two!!

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

What's the status? Any news yet?? Fingers crossed for you two!!

We passed! It was a walk in the park! Will write a longer post tomorrow about our interview and experience, but it was all positive and we're so excited! Got very little sleep last night and then as soon as we were approved we went for champagne at a nearby hotel, so I have been a zombie all day. But a very happy zombie!

K-1:
April 21, 2010: I-129F Sent (from London to VSC)
April 27, 2010: NOA1, check cashed
July 9, 2010: NOA2 (hardcopy)
July 12, 2010: NVC sent petition to embassy in London
October 7, 2010: Packet 3 logged at embassy
November 3, 2010: Interview: APPROVED!
December 7, 2010: POE: JFK
December 10, 2010: Wedding

AOS:
April 27, 2011: Sent I-485, I-864, EAD and AP to Chicago
May 5, 2011: Received text notifications, check cashed
May 9, 2011: NOA hardcopy via mail
May 14, 2011: RFE (for incorrectly filling out I-693)
June 3, 2011: Biometrics
June 17, 2011: RFE response delivered
June 21, 2011: Case under RFE review
June 23, 2011: Transferred to CSC!
June 29, 2011: EAD and AP approved!
July 9, 2011: EAD/AP card arrived via mail
January 4, 2012: RFE
January 28, 2012: RFE response delivered
January 30, 2012: Case under RFE review
February 8, 2012: Green card in production!
February 14, 2012: Green card received in mail

ROC:

December 4, 2013: Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

December 9, 2013: NOA1

January 13, 2014: Biometrics

May 15, 2014: Green card in production!

Update- Ryan had to go back to England before he could do his biometrics, while his AOS was still pending. Soooo, unfortunately we had to withdraw his AOS and now we have to do an I-130 to bring him back. Does anyone have or has anyone heard any information on this process. We are pretty sad about the whole thing, as we have heard it is taking over 5 months just for the I-130, not to mention everything else after that. I am really confused on if we should do the K-3 as well. What to do, what to to?! Someone tell me!! Yucky!

Update- Ryan had to go back to England before he could do his biometrics, while his AOS was still pending. Soooo, unfortunately we had to withdraw his AOS and now we have to do an I-130 to bring him back. Does anyone have or has anyone heard any information on this process. We are pretty sad about the whole thing, as we have heard it is taking over 5 months just for the I-130, not to mention everything else after that. I am really confused on if we should do the K-3 as well. What to do, what to to?! Someone tell me!! Yucky!

What?? I'm sorry you've already withdrawn the AOS, it limits your options pretty severely...no use crying over spilled milk. :( Just follow the CR-1 guide, I guess. Don't do the K-3, because it's a waste of time, and could possibly even delay your petition further. Good news with the CR-1 is you won't have to adjust again, he can come in as a green card holder.

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

What happened?? It's such a shame that he couldn't do his biometrics before he left, as I think he's then eligible to get an emergency AP to leave the country and re-enter. But as Heather says, no use crying over spilled milk. Look at the Guides for the best available option, I think it's the CR-1 and the last time I looked there was a total waiting time of about 5-7 months. Please use this forum as your guidance though, lots of people have done it.

Oh noooooo! I'm sorry this happened, but I'm sure your husband had a really good reason for needing to go back home.

PM me if you want to discuss! I don't know anything about the I-130/CR-1 process, but I'm a good researcher, and I'd be happy to help you guys out!

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.