trailmix

U.S. Consulates in Canada

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have often wondered if we aren't overlooking something that might be of benefit to many as a resource. Our local U.S. consulates. The people in these consulates might be able to answer questions for people that we just wonder about, or write to people about - where it ends up in that big black hole.

I know that when I had a question about my I-130 I went to the consulate in Calgary and asked the question, was given the correct answer and that was that.

What made me think about again it is that simstar went to the U.S. (or tried to) to have something notarized, when a notary is available at most consulates for this purpose.

Now of course not everyone in Canada is near a consulate and if you live in Edmonton, for instance, your local consulate is in Calgary and that's not really 'close' - however most large cities do have consulates and it might just be a resource that some people can use.

Using the Calgary consulate as an example, they have a no-appointment system for U.S. citizens every weekday between 8:30 and noon - so in a case where they U.S. citizen is living in Canada or visiting Canada there is no reason why the couple could not pay a visit to the Consulate and ask a question.

Anyway, just a thought!

What made me think about again it is that simstar went to the U.S. (or tried to) to have something notarized, when a notary is available at most consulates for this purpose.

True Trailmix!

Actually, I did look into just going to the US consulate in Vancouver and I can't remember exactly why it wasn't going to work, but I think it was b/c Vancouver has only one day where you could do stuff like that, and since I of course waited til the last minute to get my form notarized (IRS gave us a 45-day limit, which the notary told me they're very strict with)...I had to get it done ASAP...and thereby needlessly complicated my life, lol:-)

But yes, I think you're right... the local US Consulates might very well be a great resource!

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.