Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Has anyone had to renew their Jamaican passport since they have been in the states? Roy's doesn't expire for a year (I'm a freak, I know :wacko:)

Oh boy Mindy - you have me freaking out now :huh: I have NO idea when Tony's passport expires and we're leaving for Barbados in less than 2 weeks!!! What do we do if it's expired??? How long are they good for from the time you get them? Isn't it 10 years? If it is (like our U.S. ones are) he has plenty of time left on it. He just got it right before we started the Visa process.

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phone card thing I check Rhonda. I get a minute at 6.9 cents. I bought a card for 20 dollars at I Chat and got 292 mintues. Using division and multiplying it comes out right. Tell me if that checks out to be right. There is 0 connection fee and no rounding up after a certian dollar amount. You have had me puzzled all day. hmmmm ???? :)

I don't know :huh: I wrote down the info. and everything. It said it was 7 cents for regular calls but when I looked for cell phone calls, I got 27 cents. When you got 292 minutes, are you sure it doesn't use them up quicker if you call cells?

I'm gonna have to go and look at that website again. I know I looked at I Chat because I knew that was the one you mentioned. This whole phone card thing is a pain in the butt. I was happy with IDT until they raised their rates recently <_<

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Sorry I bailed out again. Too many happy people here for my situation. I spent the majority of the 8 months in Jamaica with my wife. I'm about ready to try for the third time, if I can ever get past the madness in Kingston. My wife's 3 years is up. This time it should only be fresh photos and another interview, if we can ever get ahold of someone to reopen the case.

Welcome back stranger :P We're not always THAT happy on here :blush: What happened when you appealed your case? There have been more people on here to get denied for the same reason as you guys who are wondering what their options are. I'm glad her 3 year ban is now up - good luck with the interview. Please keep us posted.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

The Phone card thing I check Rhonda. I get a minute at 6.9 cents. I bought a card for 20 dollars at I Chat and got 292 mintues. Using division and multiplying it comes out right. Tell me if that checks out to be right. There is 0 connection fee and no rounding up after a certian dollar amount. You have had me puzzled all day. hmmmm ???? :)

If you go to the site and click on "I Chat" on the left hand side, THIS is what comes up:

Phone Card Name: I Chat Phone Card Rate Highlights: No Connection Fee calling card.

Super Aggressive Rates To Latin!

Honduras 55 min. Trinidad 118 min.

Dominican 286 min. Haiti 94 min.

El Salvador 157 min. Cell 121 min.

Panama 820 min. Peru 331 min.

Argentina 1360 min. B.A. 2632 min.

Bahamas 421 min. Belize 76 min.

Bolivia 172 min. Brazil 541 min.

Colombia 241 min. Cuba 17 min.

Chile 922 min. Ecuador 112 min.

Guatemala 148 min. Cell 97 min.

Jamaica 244 min. Cell 73 min.

Uruguay 184 min. USA 604 min.

Venezuela 622 min. Caracas 1204 min.

These minutes are for a $20 phone card. I also did it the way you're doing it, click on Jamaica cell and input I Chat and it comes up at 7 cents a minute! It is very confusing.

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Question for the married ladies..Did you change your name when you got married?

I am thinking of not changing mine to avoid the hassle of changing so many documents.

Do you know if Social Security needs to be notified if there is not name change?

For pesonal reasons I did not change my name.

I did not notify social security.

Working in personnel, I understand the hassle.

I've changed my name three times now :blink: ...I hope I have it right now :wacko:

That is the reason I do not want to go through with it again and I have had this last name for 19 years so there are so many document, policies and people to contact. And I was listing them last night (out of guilt) and it would take me a month to do it. I guess that will be up for discussion this weekend with Bert. If he feels strongly about it I will do it.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Darlene

I didnt change my name either. We are pressing middle age here, and I had my name for so many years, I couldnt quite adjust. And it did seem to be a big hassle to change over all my documents, etc. My mom has my name on quite a few of her investments as well, and so we just decided it was easier for me to keep mine.

I asked hubby what he thought of it, he never really gave me too much of an opinion, I figured I could still change it someday or hypenate it if I Want.

Now...I DID sign everything as his name last on my AOS documents, I wasnt sure how to go about that, but they accepted everything. I guess two years later I am still in limbo. haha

Jill

Thank you again. I didn't even thing about what my mother has in my name too. Thank for the info on the AOS documents.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If you go to the site and click on "I Chat" on the left hand side, THIS is what comes up:

Phone Card Name: I Chat Phone Card Rate Highlights: No Connection Fee calling card.

These minutes are for a $20 phone card. I also did it the way you're doing it, click on Jamaica cell and input I Chat and it comes up at 7 cents a minute! It is very confusing.

It is 292 mintues for a 20 dollar phone card to a dig cell

Goodmorning everyone happy Tuesday!!

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

It is 292 mintues for a 20 dollar phone card to a dig cell

Goodmorning everyone happy Tuesday!!

Oh now I see where it says that list but I got way more minutes like 292!! I have used it all week and still have 73 minutes remaining on my balance.

Trust me on the weekend we talked a lot. Hours

Anyways :)

Rhonda thats a 5 dollar card not a 20 dollar card!!

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
Has anyone had to renew their Jamaican passport since they have been in the states? Roy's doesn't expire for a year (I'm a freak, I know :wacko:)

Oh boy Mindy - you have me freaking out now :huh: I have NO idea when Tony's passport expires and we're leaving for Barbados in less than 2 weeks!!! What do we do if it's expired??? How long are they good for from the time you get them? Isn't it 10 years? If it is (like our U.S. ones are) he has plenty of time left on it. He just got it right before we started the Visa process.

Jamaican passports are good for 10 years, at least those issued in the last 4 years (Machine readable). You used to be able to renew them at some consulates here in the US, (Chicago for example) Though I heard somewhere that had been discontinued. I don't remember the source of that information so I would still enquire.

As far as name changes on Jamaican passports, I believe they did ammend the passports before the machine readable passports. The form was still available online in 2004. When I got my Jamaican passport I enquired about updating my wife's. They said they did not do that anymore.

I was informed by the US embassy in June when getting a copy of my wife's passport noterized so my wife could get an ITIN and I could refile my last 3 years of taxes that they do reissue a new passport under the new name. You must apply for a new passport. This is according to the US government.

01/21/2003 Married

I-130 filed August 2003

K-3 filed August 2003

K-3 Approved Dec 2003

01/07/2004 Interview I Denied at embassy (Marijuana detected blood test) Barred 3 years

Move to Jamaica March 2004

I-130 approved (November 2004)

Return to US to try again October 2005

04/07/2006 Interview II The Sequal Told case would be on hold until Jan 8th 2007

02/20/2007 Interview III Told another Physical requred

02/27/2007 3rd physical

03/23/2007 Police report expires

04/03/2007 Interview IV rescheduled due to police report being late

04/19/2007 Interview V They did not put her on the list

US Senators office had to call for them to see her

Finally approved

04/28/1007 Arrive Miami Held up in Immigration misses flight to Indy

Fly to Dallas, then Indy arrive 11pm instead of 3pm

05/10/2007 SS Card arrived

05/12/2007 Welcome to the US letter arrives

05/14/2007 10yr Green Card Arrives

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
As far as name changes on Jamaican passports, I believe they did ammend the passports before the machine readable passports. The form was still available online in 2004. When I got my Jamaican passport I enquired about updating my wife's. They said they did not do that anymore.

Hello,

I just found a website which states the following:

How do I add my married name to my machine readable passport?

If you already hold a machine-readable passport, your married nameCANNOT be added to that passport. In order for your married name to be included, you will have to apply for another machine-readable passport, supplying your marriage certificate along with the other required documentation. This will be treated as regular processing, and will take a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks.

Here is the link:

Jamaican Embassy - Passport Info

Mars.

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sorry I bailed out again. Too many happy people here for my situation. I spent the majority of the 8 months in Jamaica with my wife. I'm about ready to try for the third time, if I can ever get past the madness in Kingston. My wife's 3 years is up. This time it should only be fresh photos and another interview, if we can ever get ahold of someone to reopen the case.

I have some interesting information for those who have high phone bills calling Jamaica. Check out http://www.flowjamaica.com I have spoken with their office and they will have a VOIP phone available that we can get for use in the US, that would have a Jamaica phone number. This would also include free calls to/from MiPhone Cell phones. Of course we are still looking at $0.15 cents a minute to a digicel phone, but landline phones cost will be equivilent to normal land line to land line costs in JA.

I was told this would become available next month.

It's good to be back in the US again, hopefully other than the interview it will be close to permanant.

EricDrewry, what a cute picture. I wish you the best. Im sure things will work out fine for the two of you this go round.

08-25-06 Package Sent
Package was redirected to CSC
9-07-06 Recd NOA1
11-14-06 Touch
11-17-06 Touch
11-18-06 Recd Original Birth Cert in mailed
11-18-06 Touch (On Saturday?)
11-20-06 Recd NOA2 in mailbox No emails notices, or website updates @ USCIS, just a perfect letter in mail!!
12-4-06 NVC has packet issued case #
12-6-06 Recd email confirming NOA2 Approval finally.
12-6-06 File in the mail to Embassy per NVC.
12-8-06 Embassy sign for NVC packet
12-18-06 Embassy emails stating Packet 3 in mail to Fiancee.
12-18-06 Embassy provides appt. date & time for Fiancee to pick up Packet 3. Rules have changed.
1-3-07 Embassy receives DS 230
1-19-07 Embassy confirms interview appt. date & time via phone.
1-26-07 Fiancee receives Interview Letter (Packet #4) in the mail. Still no Packet #3
2-20-07 Medical @ Andrews completed
2-15-07 Received Packet #3 in mail

[b]Interview Date: March 13, 2007 9am[/b]
APPROVED 3/13/07
Had to fly back without Fiancee 3/20

PICKED UP VISA @ EMBASSY DAY 22!!!!
Visa Recd-4/4/07
Sweetie enter US 4/5
TEXAS BOUND-TEXAS ARRIVAL 4/11
Fiancee Abandoned 4/18

:dance:Good to see you Eric..... :dance:

He can get it renewed thru the Consulate. There is one downtown Chicago on Jackson but you have to be there very early. Sorry I meant to say King Dr. I was thinking of the immigration bldg. Check this website.
The Jamaican Consulate in Chicago it just for "looks." I have already been on their website. I know what we have to do I was just wondering if anyone has done it. We will need to send it to Washington DC for processing.
I was looking for deals on grocerys because I am trying to find ways to save when my husband gets here
That's so funny that you posted this. I have NEVER clipped coupons in my life -- now, it's all I do. I even check between all the sale papers to see who has the better deals. <I never cared about this before :wacko:> Feeding two humans and three dogs is definitely a challenge. Thanks Jax -- I'm gonna go sign up right now!!
Oh boy Mindy - you have me freaking out now. If it is (like our U.S. ones are) he has plenty of time left on it. He just got it right before we started the Visa process.
It's good for 10 years....you have a while before you have to worry. Roy got his in 1998. We tried to "upgrade" to the new machine readable before he left Jamaica and they wouldn't let him. They said it has to be close to expiration to do that.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline

Welcome back stranger :P We're not always THAT happy on here :blush: What happened when you appealed your case? There have been more people on here to get denied for the same reason as you guys who are wondering what their options are. I'm glad her 3 year ban is now up - good luck with the interview. Please keep us posted.

I never filed the I-690, though when I went in for my wife's IR1 interview, and they brought up the 3 year bar, expecting the issue I pulled out a completed I-690, the shocked interviewer took the form and went to talk to people and can back 20 minutes later saying they do not accept this form there. That being the case, I believed that I could eventually file it, then of course be denied on it and have to file an administerative appeal. Since at that time I was only 9 months away from the end of the 3 year bar, I determined that since the government moves so slow, especially there the amount of time gained by following that route would be minimal if even successful.

01/21/2003 Married

I-130 filed August 2003

K-3 filed August 2003

K-3 Approved Dec 2003

01/07/2004 Interview I Denied at embassy (Marijuana detected blood test) Barred 3 years

Move to Jamaica March 2004

I-130 approved (November 2004)

Return to US to try again October 2005

04/07/2006 Interview II The Sequal Told case would be on hold until Jan 8th 2007

02/20/2007 Interview III Told another Physical requred

02/27/2007 3rd physical

03/23/2007 Police report expires

04/03/2007 Interview IV rescheduled due to police report being late

04/19/2007 Interview V They did not put her on the list

US Senators office had to call for them to see her

Finally approved

04/28/1007 Arrive Miami Held up in Immigration misses flight to Indy

Fly to Dallas, then Indy arrive 11pm instead of 3pm

05/10/2007 SS Card arrived

05/12/2007 Welcome to the US letter arrives

05/14/2007 10yr Green Card Arrives

Timeline

I have some interesting information for those who have high phone bills calling Jamaica. Check out http://www.flowjamaica.com I have spoken with their office and they will have a VOIP phone available that we can get for use in the US, that would have a Jamaica phone number. This would also include free calls to/from MiPhone Cell phones. Of course we are still looking at $0.15 cents a minute to a digicel phone, but landline phones cost will be equivilent to normal land line to land line costs in JA.

I was told this would become available next month.

It's good to be back in the US again, hopefully other than the interview it will be close to permanant.

Welcome back Eric!!

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.