After Oath and Name Change - some questions

7 posts in this topic

So my wife finally has her oath in a few weeks, and will also have her name changed. There are a lot of things to take care of, and I am wondering if the following is a good strategy:

- Go to oath, receive Naturalization Cert + Court Order of Name Change.

- Go to SSA office, show them the above received documents, and update status and get a new card with her new name.

- Go to DMV and update status and get a new Driver's License.

- Make copy of Naturalization Cert and Court Order of Name Change.

- Go to County Clerk and apply for passport. Relinguish the Naturalization Certificate temporarily (since it needs to be sent in).

- Update banks with new name (Court Order of Name Change should be enough?).

Is there anything I am missing? The strategy involves taking care of DMV and SSA while I still have the original Naturalization Certificate, before giving it up for the passport application. I heard someone on Visajourney had to relinguish the Court Order of Name Change as well, which would affect my ability to update banks.

Anything else I need to take care of, or any other complications that might arise?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Slightly confused as to why you are having a court ordered name change but everything you have listed sounds good to go!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Slightly confused as to why you are having a court ordered name change but everything you have listed sounds good to go!

Oh, the name change is happening as part of the oath. I thought it comes with some kind of Court documentation of Name Change?

Oh, the name change is happening as part of the oath. I thought it comes with some kind of Court documentation of Name Change?

You're right! It does come with a court order even if part of the naturalization process. I requested name change and had to sign few extra papers on the interview and I was told that one if the papers goes through judge, who needs to sign it too. This happens before the Oath Ceremony, but I'll get it on that day.

Everything sounds good to me! :thumbs:

1285270uwjm9gdss7.gif 1258764lk0t479j1w.jpg dev131bfs__.png

Boy I hear you in my dreams

I feel your whisper across the sea

I keep you with me in my heart

You make it easier when life gets hard

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have requested a name change as a part of naturalization process. Actually, it won't even be a major change, I'm just replacing letter "i" in my name with an "e" to make it easier to pronounce. I know that I will have to update my SSN records, my drivers license, my bank stuff, and my work records. I do have a question though. My marriange certificate has my name spelled with an "i". Do I need to request another copy with a new spelling? Also, I am a CPA. I will update my name in the State Board of CPA's records. But do I need to request an updated copy of my CPA certificate (not license) as well? Anyone has any experience?

April 13, 2010 - N 400 sent

April 14, 2010 - Received confirmation of delivery from mail carrier

April 23, 2010 - NOA date

April 26, 2010 - Check cleared

April 27, 2010 - NOA letter received

May 7, 2010 - Fingerprint letter received

May 24, 2010 - Fingerprint appointment

July 13, 2010 - Interview (passed!)

July 29, 2010 - Oath letter received. Oath scheduled for 08/26/2010

August 26, 2010 - I'm a US Citizen!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.