nats6624

Is there anyone out there who got married in the US without a K-1?

36 posts in this topic

The out of status doesn't matter, I was out of status for years and I am a LPR now. What's important is that you and your husband have a bonafide (real) relationship, good luck :)

Absolutely, unfortunately there are posters on this site who make it up as they go along.

Well, I apologize. I was pretty sure I had read many times that if you over stay by more than 180 days that you trigger a 3 year ban and that if you stay even longer than that you can trigger a 10 year ban.

What's the point of going through all the K1/CR1/etc if you can just do this? Shoot, maybe my fiance and I should just get married this week when he comes over...

:blink:

It doesn't work that way! It's no easier than any other way, other than should you not catch your IO on his or hers finest day, & they so choose to deny you have no grounds for appeal! So that said, the grass is not always greener! We were a sucessful AOS story from VWP, but I would never have even attempted to go thru immigration if there had been any intent at POE.

Kimberly Troth

Details

Met online Dec 2007

Started talking online (Xbox) 02/15/2008

Came to US to meet 08/29/2008 (return home date was 11/14/2008)

Got engaged 10/05/2008

Got married at sunset on the beach 11/01/2008

7fdc6d7397.png

I-130/765/485

02/27/2009 sent papers Usps to Chicago Lock Box

03/07/2009 received NOAs dated 03/04/09 (130 & 765 show online 485 does not)

03/13/2009 received biometrics appt notice for 03/27/2009

03/27/2009 biometrics appt @3pm (in & out in less than 20 minutes)

04/16/2009 Received pink notice of medical exam needed

04/17/2009 Had medical exam done by Civil Surgeon (have to return on Tuesday 04/21/2009 forResults)

04/24/2009 Papers delivered to Lees Summit (MSC) :o)

05/07/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD card has been ordered & should arrive within 30 days

05/08/2009 Received email from CRIS that EAD Approval Notice was sent

05/09/2009 Received EAD card in mail YAAAAAY

05/12/2009 Applied for Social Security Card

05/15/2009 NOA received with I-485 interview date 07/20/2009

020b50f4b0.png

07/20/2009 AOS Interview in Orlando FL

07/21/2009 Email received " Card Production Ordered " YAAAAY 139 days!

07/24/2009 Welcome letter received! & Approval of I-130 also received! Yaaay

08/04/2009 Green Card received! Hoooraaaaay!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out of status for 12 years, and now am a LPR... Dont worry, every thing will be fine.

Wow! You're the only one I've ever seen with an overstay longer than the one we dealt with. ;)

Was never a problem for AOS, we did worry a lot though.

24q38dy.jpg

The out of status doesn't matter, I was out of status for years and I am a LPR now. What's important is that you and your husband have a bonafide (real) relationship, good luck :)

Absolutely, unfortunately there are posters on this site who make it up as they go along.

Yes. Don't listen to the haters here. You are golden, as long as you dont cross back into Canada anytime soon. Many seem to like to rain on your parade. Just pull out your umbrella and ignore!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Yes. Don't listen to the haters here. You are golden, as long as you dont cross back into Canada anytime soon. Many seem to like to rain on your parade. Just pull out your umbrella and ignore!

I don't think I deserved that comment since I didn't post a judgmental comment, but that's neither here nor there.

I admit that it's frustrating that if you decide to get married to a foreign citizen on VWP and don't even think about the impact of that on immigration, that you're allowed to stay. But people who do research on immigration and get a visa have to wait for many months in order to be with their loved ones. I have a very short immigration timeline so far, for which I am grateful.

But it's heartbreaking to read other stories of seemingly good people who have been waiting 10+ months or even years in order to be with their loved ones. MARM, Chris&Mara, estadia, and ParisHeart come to mind. Is it fair to them that they have to wait so long?

In the end, it's the government that has allowed this to be legal and I bear the OP no ill will. I would caution more prudence before making life-changing decisions, though, and I apologize again for my errant information :blush:

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Other Timeline

Justine -

I'm not sure if the comments were directed at you.

Boiler's comment is noteworthy though. And spot on.

The INA allows for the adjustment of status of aliens who are married to a USC. The INA allows for a number of indiscretions (which would normally be deportable offenses) to be forgiven all because of a marriage. This is done in the name of family unity.

Some people do 'make it up as they go along'. They read and learn about our system and make their plans. Some committed couples will purposely choose to use the VWP or a B2 visa to step off the legal path.

Sometimes, individuals will enter the country on a valid visa, overstay and work, stay in the shadows and date Americans.

USCIS doesn't forgive the transgressions though until the adjustment is approved. That's the element of risk.

At any rate - I think you get what I am saying. The US government remains lenient toward aliens by even allowing them to marry without a visa. Other countries - not so much. There may come a time when you can't obtain a marriage license unless both parties are citizens or one of the parties has a visa.

I don't think I deserved that comment since I didn't post a judgmental comment, but that's neither here nor there.

I admit that it's frustrating that if you decide to get married to a foreign citizen on VWP and don't even think about the impact of that on immigration, that you're allowed to stay. But people who do research on immigration and get a visa have to wait for many months in order to be with their loved ones. I have a very short immigration timeline so far, for which I am grateful.

But it's heartbreaking to read other stories of seemingly good people who have been waiting 10+ months or even years in order to be with their loved ones. MARM, Chris&Mara, estadia, and ParisHeart come to mind. Is it fair to them that they have to wait so long?

In the end, it's the government that has allowed this to be legal and I bear the OP no ill will. I would caution more prudence before making life-changing decisions, though, and I apologize again for my errant information :blush:

Dude, relax. I was agreeing with you. Keep your chin up! :star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.