Masato+Candace

Affidavit of Support and Bio info issues

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello,

I just have two quick questions.

When it comes to the Affidavit of Support, I am in a rather tricky situation. My fiance, he makes much more money than me and I somehow I have to prove that I can support him financially. The thing is, we were mostly living off of his income, and I'm out of college but with no job. I realize that others can co-sponsor, but to what extent?

I've heard of people being denied if receiving money from the government for living, but I'm not, just flat out of luck with work. Can I be denied because of this? Is it better to have a retail part time job than nothing sort of thing? It's a rather troubling thought to think we may be denied because of the financial situation.. :(

My last question is, on the Biographic Information document, they ask about your non-us fiance's work. He worked completely freelance, so does it need to be filled out differently? Does it need to be specifically noted that he was freelance worker instead of a permanent worker?

Thank you for any help.

And I apologize if these have been asked previously, or I posted in the wrong place.. I'm a newbie to this :(

Hello,

I just have two quick questions.

When it comes to the Affidavit of Support, I am in a rather tricky situation. My fiance, he makes much more money than me and I somehow I have to prove that I can support him financially. The thing is, we were mostly living off of his income, and I'm out of college but with no job. I realize that others can co-sponsor, but to what extent?

If you do not meet the minimum income requirements (125% of the poverty line) then you have to have a co-sponsor. They will have to meet the same guidelines for the number of people they are responsible for according to their tax returns, plus one for your fiance.

When you say your fiance earns more and you're living off his income, is he in the US already and you are adjusting his status or is he supporting you from abroad.

I've heard of people being denied if receiving money from the government for living, but I'm not, just flat out of luck with work. Can I be denied because of this? Is it better to have a retail part time job than nothing sort of thing? It's a rather troubling thought to think we may be denied because of the financial situation.. :(

You are not going to be denied on the grounds of being in receipt of government subsidy. Having said that, isn't it always better to be employed in some sort of capacity than sitting down nothing at all? My SO works pt and earns so little he would actually qualify for food stamps, but at least he's getting out of the house and doesn't feel like he's living on handouts. It's more for your benefit than for the purpose of a visa application.

My last question is, on the Biographic Information document, they ask about your non-us fiance's work. He worked completely freelance, so does it need to be filled out differently? Does it need to be specifically noted that he was freelance worker instead of a permanent worker?

Can't advise on this one. Wouldn't he be technically self-employed if he's freelance?

Thank you for any help.

And I apologize if these have been asked previously, or I posted in the wrong place.. I'm a newbie to this :(

Welcome to VJ! :) I'm sure the questions will have been asked before, but no harm done! Have a look up on the right side under the picture and type your search topic into the box that pops up when you click on forums search.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline

Thanks for the welcome and help! (Even with the search bar.. didn't know, haha!!)

As for the income thing, when we were living in Japan together, he did most of the supporting, and I did what I could with my pt job there. He is currently in Japan, and I am here gathering all the info for his k-1 visa.

I'm glad to hear that what I've heard is incorrect about receiving government subsidy. I will have to find a pt job, and do what I can. Hopefully that and co-sponsors will be ok.

I guess that would technically be self employment.. wonder how that can be filled out.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Thanks for the welcome and help! (Even with the search bar.. didn't know, haha!!)

As for the income thing, when we were living in Japan together, he did most of the supporting, and I did what I could with my pt job there. He is currently in Japan, and I am here gathering all the info for his k-1 visa.

I'm glad to hear that what I've heard is incorrect about receiving government subsidy. I will have to find a pt job, and do what I can. Hopefully that and co-sponsors will be ok.

I guess that would technically be self employment.. wonder how that can be filled out.

An individual cosponsor is ok, not plural. If you are self employed, you simply state that on the I-134 but you don't do that until the end of the K1 process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I believe the self-employment issue pertains to the non-USC fiance and how his G-325A Biographical Information should be filled out.

If he's been self-employed for all of the last five years, that's all he needs to list on the G-325A in the employment information section—"Self-employed" and the dates.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

Thank you for the help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Hopefully this will all work. The guidance on this message board offered by everyone is extremely valuable.

Thank you again!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm still a long way off from this point, but seeing as K-1 visas seem to be the only thing I can think about these days....

I make enough to be over the poverty line for two people, but my position is "temporary" as per the distinction on the form. I was thinking about writing a cover letter with contact info for my boss saying that we have a verbal agreement for me to work for a year or more (asking him if this is okay first, of course!). Is that overkill? I don't have much money in savings as I was traveling (meeting my fiance) and unemployed for about a year and a half, up until mid Sept.

Thoughts? Advice?

I-129F

6 Nov 2009: NOA1

2 March 2010: NOA2 (116 days)

14 April 2010: Interview (159 days) Approved!!

30 April 2010: Married!

AoS

18 May 2010: NOA1 for AoS, EAD and AP

8 June 2010: Case transferred to CSC

10 June 2010: Biometrics completed

31 July 2010: EAD and AP received!

9 Sept. 2010: RFE email for AoS

(RFE for medical. We replied with letter stating that it's not required since done overseas within one year)

18 January 2010: Interview - passed! Card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.