Apple3

Canadian on TN Visa, Wanting to Marry American

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen on a TN Visa here in the US wanting to Marry and US Citizen. I have just recieved a second renewal of my 3 year TN. My Boyfriend and I are looking into how we go about getting married in the US. We have lived here in the US together for 3 years, however I lived here in the US for 6 years on a Student Visa, 1 year OPT and now going on my second year TN (Total 9th year in US).

I am having a very hard time gathering up exactly what the steps I need to take are to:

1. Get married in the US - and stay in the US

2. What visa's to apply for once we are married so that I can continue working on my visa

3. What kind of time line these take and do I have to stay in the US during this time

4. If we would like to move to Canada in the future what we would have to do

I would like to thank anyone who responds in advance for your help!

Apple3

Filed: Timeline

Hi Apple. Welcome to VJ. :)

I am going to move your thread from the K-1 section to the AOS From Other Visa section. You will find other threads/posters there from members who have gone through the same experience. One member to look for, off the top of my head, who was on a TN visa is Warlord. He has lots of good info.

iagree.gif

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen on a TN Visa here in the US wanting to Marry and US Citizen. I have just recieved a second renewal of my 3 year TN. My Boyfriend and I are looking into how we go about getting married in the US. We have lived here in the US together for 3 years, however I lived here in the US for 6 years on a Student Visa, 1 year OPT and now going on my second year TN (Total 9th year in US).

I am having a very hard time gathering up exactly what the steps I need to take are to:

1. Get married in the US - and stay in the US

2. What visa's to apply for once we are married so that I can continue working on my visa

3. What kind of time line these take and do I have to stay in the US during this time

4. If we would like to move to Canada in the future what we would have to do

I would like to thank anyone who responds in advance for your help!

Apple3

Read this thread - it's very helpful:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212749

You will be able to work until your TN status is expired. If it expires before you get married, renew it before the wedding.

After you get married, DO NOT leave the country. You will be able to work as long as your TN is valid, but if you cross the border and they find out you're married, they will take the TN since you now have permanent intent to stay.

You will need to adjust your status and apply for a green card. Do not leave the country until you get your green card. It could take up to a year.

When you apply for your green card you will be able to get an EAD which will allow you to work once your TN is expired. Once you have your green card you will be able to work.

If you do need to leave the country, you can apply for Advance Parole, but I don't know the specifics about it.

12/06/10 - Day 0: Sent AOS
12/09/10 - Day 3: Received in Chicago
12/14/10 - Day 8: Received NOA1 (Email) and checks cashed
12/18/10 - Day 12: Received NOA1 Hard copies in the mail - also all forms "Touched"
12/23/10 - Day 17: Received Biometrics letter - Appt for January 13, 2011
01/13/11 - Day 38: Completed Biometrics
01/31/11 - Day 56: Received Interview letter.
02/02/11 - Day 57: I-485 Touched. Nothing on EAD or AP.
02/15/11 - Day 70: Received Email that EAD and AP are approved.
02/24/11 - Day 79: Received EAD/AP (Combo Card) in the mail.
03/03/11 - Day 86: Interview - Approved!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01/29/13 - Day 0: Sent I-751
01/31/13 - Day 2: Received in California
02/01/13 - Day 3: Check cashed
02/08/13 - Day 10: Received NOA1 (dated 1/30/2013) and Biometrics letter (appointment for 2/28/2013)

02/28/13 - Day 30: Successful Biometrics appt

06/20/13 - Day 142: Received Email that Card Production is ordered!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/16/16 - Day 0: Sent N-400

11/21/16 - Day 5: Card charged and NOA date

12/21/16 - Day 35: Biometrics

01/04/17 - Day 49: Notice of in line for interview

05/01/17 - Day 166: Received notice of Interview scheduled

6/7/2017 - Day 203: Interview & Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.