Tom_Jim

Removing Conditions on My Own

20 posts in this topic

I'm about to start removing conditions on my own after my wife (the USC) divorced me. I don't plan on using a lawyer for this. I have all my evidence lined up, including affidavits from family.

My question is, should I write my own explanation of the events leading up to the divorce? Something, like a "summary" so-to-speak explaining that my wife didn't want to work on our relationship anymore and I was in utter complete shock that she wanted a divorce.

Has anyone removed conditions on their own? Any sort of guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

I'm about to start removing conditions on my own after my wife (the USC) divorced me. I don't plan on using a lawyer for this. I have all my evidence lined up, including affidavits from family.

My question is, should I write my own explanation of the events leading up to the divorce? Something, like a "summary" so-to-speak explaining that my wife didn't want to work on our relationship anymore and I was in utter complete shock that she wanted a divorce.

Has anyone removed conditions on their own? Any sort of guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry to say, I've heard that it's nearly impossible to do that unless she physically abused you somehow.

I believe you can remove conditions on your own. Some relationships don't last and divorce is very common here in US. You will have to prove that you didn't marry just for the GC and since you've said you have plenty of evidence for that, you'll be okay. Good luck. :thumbs:

"I have all my evidence lined up, including affidavits from family."

Doesn't count much if the affidavits are from your family.

You have to prove you married "with good faith" and not for immigration purposes.

Why do you want to stay in the US if you married for love?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Sorry to say, I've heard that it's nearly impossible to do that unless she physically abused you somehow.

Who told you that?

I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

I- 751 Read part 2. Basis for petition

d. I entered into the marriage in good faith but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

My business is based in the USA and I've made my life here already. That's why I want to stay.

Anyone remove conditions on their own that have input? Thanks.

My business is based in the USA and I've made my life here already. That's why I want to stay.

Anyone remove conditions on their own that have input? Thanks.

My marriage fell apart and we are divorced. Can I still get the conditional status lifted?

A..The I-751 is normally filed by a married couple, but if you have divorced, or your US Citizen spouse has died, you may file the petition on your own. The I-751 form itself contains provisions for a waiver of the requirement to file jointly with the US Citizen spouse. You may file the I-751 immediately upon divorce or the death of your spouse, and you will be required to provide evidence that you married in good faith, rather than to just get a green card by marrying a US Citizen. You will be required to submit a copy of the divorce decree or death certificate.

The I-751 also makes provisions for a waiver for filing jointly with your spouse, if you are still married, but "battered or subject to extreme mental cruelty". If you are in this unfortunate situation, you need the help of an experienced immigration attorney

Who told you that?

I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

I- 751 Read part 2. Basis for petition

d. I entered into the marriage in good faith but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment.

Did I say that it was not allowed? Maybe I'm wrong, but I just haven't seen someone say that they have done this and actually had the case approved. I have seen many people online saying that they were doing this, but none that have come back and said, "Yeah! My self petition was approved!"

Can you point to a few successful cases?

Edited by toma1

A friend did the trip on her own and it was a piece of cake. No interview, Her hubby died tho.

I've seen a LOT of people saying they divorced or were in the divorce process and had filed.

Never have seen one come back on VJ dancing.

Never seen one come back and say they were being deported either.

Good luck.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

A friend did the trip on her own and it was a piece of cake. No interview, Her hubby died tho.

I've seen a LOT of people saying they divorced or were in the divorce process and had filed.

Never have seen one come back on VJ dancing.

Never seen one come back and say they were being deported either.

Good luck.

Yep. DIED is a whole different ballgame, but that is not the case here.

I don't think most people that bother to file legally and fail end up being deported, most probably just leave voluntarily. I think they give you 30 days from the interview date to get your affairs in order.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, divorce waivers get approved and people report back dancing. Divorce waivers are a minority though.

Here is an example.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223789

I have seen a few others approved this year (3 or 4), you can search for them on VJ if you like...

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Yes, divorce waivers get approved and people report back dancing. Divorce waivers are a minority though.

Here is an example.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223789

I have seen a few others approved this year (3 or 4), you can search for them on VJ if you like...

applying for the waiver based on the divorce. Both waivers require proof of marriage in "good faith", but the waiver based on abuse requires additional evidence of the abuse. The only additional evidence required for a waiver based on divorce is the final divorce decree.

Lot's of I-751's with waiver requests are approved without an interview. Maybe even most.

I got my Fee Waived and 1 year extension and travel. Biometrics tomorrow. Submit Certification from Domestic Violence Advocate and Church pastor. I applied my I-751 one day before my green card expired. I am emotionally and economically abused. we have 1 child.

I will update you all of my status. I'm in the state of florida (no fault law).

MY NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

10/01/2012 - Sent N-400 via USPS PRIORITY MAIL from Florida to Texas Lockbox
10/03/2012 - Package delivered to Texas Lockbox
10/10/2012 - Received an email on Acceptance Confirmation
10/10/2012 - Check Cashed
10/30/2012 - Biometrics 11:00 AM
11/30/2012 - Received NOA for Test Interview
01/07/2013 - Interview @ 1:00 p.m. - Passed
[color="#0000FF"][b]02/22/2013 - Oath Ceremony[/b][/color]

Great advice Len. Thank you. Yes, I have an over-abbundance of evidence stemming from life insurance, joint taxes, bills, lease, credit card bills, airplane tickets, affidavits attesting to the bona fides, photos.

I went to a lawyer today, and he wanted 1,500 just to file it... and if I need to appear, that's another 1,000. I think I'm getting a raw deal since I have all the stuff on my own.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.