mrsjohnsonscat

Tashkent?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So I call NVC to get the application status and they were pleasant, quick and effective; as most posters say they are. However I was caught by surprise when given our new case number. It wasn't Moscow, as I assumed it would be; but Tashkent. Now it's true, she was born in Tashkent, but hasn't lived there in close to twenty years. She's been in Moscow all that time.

I took a look at the Tashkent embassy site and didn't see much info on the process.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

somehow based on information you provided they determined that tashkent has jurisdiction... if she lives in Moscow, you can request a consulate change

YMMV

Timeline
So I call NVC to get the application status and they were pleasant, quick and effective; as most posters say they are. However I was caught by surprise when given our new case number. It wasn't Moscow, as I assumed it would be; but Tashkent. Now it's true, she was born in Tashkent, but hasn't lived there in close to twenty years. She's been in Moscow all that time.

I took a look at the Tashkent embassy site and didn't see much info on the process.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

What citizenship does she have? Is she ethnically Uzbek? Things get complicated with the Soviet Union since when it fell apart people ended up with different citizenship and passports.

Timeline
What citizenship does she have? Is she ethnically Uzbek? Things get complicated with the Soviet Union since when it fell apart people ended up with different citizenship and passports.

Yes she's ethnically Uzbek, but I don't remember whether she had her citizenship changed. I remember and my memory may be faulty, that she said she couldn't have dual, so the assumption is, she was still using her Uzbek and needed to change. I'm waiting for her to SMS me, so i can verify.

Timeline
somehow based on information you provided they determined that tashkent has jurisdiction... if she lives in Moscow, you can request a consulate change

How big a deal is the consulate change? Which agency do I contact? If it's an easier proposition to toss her on a plane and let the system do its thing, I'll rather to do that, than muck up the works.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How big a deal is the consulate change? Which agency do I contact? If it's an easier proposition to toss her on a plane and let the system do its thing, I'll rather to do that, than muck up the works.

not necessarily a big deal but it will introduce a delay.... not sure how the case file travels between consulates.... but it could add several weeks

YMMV

Timeline

Ok, heard from my girl:

"When I received the citizenship of russia, I could only do so after the refusal of the nationality of Uzbekistan. I just wrote the paper with the notary and sent by mail to the Embassy of Uzbekistan. But for russian goverment I send just copy of this paper and to russian goverment came notice that this paper was received at the Embassy of Uzbek. I thought all was completed, but now I see that it was not. The Russian government told me it would be all that I required to do and they gave me a passport.

My Uzbek passport is invalid. I have a Russian passport now and I cannot enter Uzbekistan because I now have dual citizenship. I do not think they will even allow me to leave the airport."

is she making a lot of assumptions, or is it really that complicated? She's going to try and call the embassies to see what they say. I'm hoping its not going to as big a mess, as it sounds.

I was like, can't you get a visitor's stamp or something in your Russian Passport? It's clear that the Uzbekistan government still considers you a citizen, wouldn't a phone call to them and few "i'm sorry, The Russian government gave me the wrong information," sort this out?

I just don't know enough about how the government works to give her an answer or fully appreciate her situation. Any advice is welcomed.

Timeline

update in case anyone is interested.

I called NCV and fortunately they hadn't sent the paperwork out yet. It looks like they just saw her birthplace as Uzbekistan and stopped reading. The rep I spoke to read me Yule's home address in the database and said it was in Uzbekistan. I told her it was in Moscow and that on the forms we supplied, we listed her citizenship as Russian and her home as in Moscow.

She said they would have to pull the original file in order to check what the form says, if it says Moscow; they'll change it there. If not, I'll have to send a change of address form. It'll take 10-15 days to get a decision.

Again, the rep I spoke to was pleasant and didn't give me any grief. I also sent an email to them, but I don't expect a response.

So I guess this is the best result I could I ask for, as the changes are being made before it leaves the US and I still have 'some' access to the process.

Edited by mrsjohnsonscat

Timeline
update in case anyone is interested.

I called NCV and fortunately they hadn't sent the paperwork out yet. It looks like they just saw her birthplace as Uzbekistan and stopped reading. The rep I spoke to read me Yule's home address in the database and said it was in Uzbekistan. I told her it was in Moscow and that on the forms we supplied, we listed her citizenship as Russian and her home as in Moscow.

She said they would have to pull the original file in order to check what the form says, if it says Moscow; they'll change it there. If not, I'll have to send a change of address form. It'll take 10-15 days to get a decision.

Again, the rep I spoke to was pleasant and didn't give me any grief. I also sent an email to them, but I don't expect a response.

So I guess this is the best result I could I ask for, as the changes are being made before it leaves the US and I still have 'some' access to the process.

Well, Uzbekistan is visa-free for citizens of the Russian Federation. So it appears your fiance is misinformed about not letting her out of the airport. Even with an internal Russian passport (the non-international passport) she can stay in Uzbekistan for up to 90 days without a visa.

I hope you can work things out and she can get everything moved to Moscow. Especially if the papers are still at NVC, it won't even slow things down. If she has a Russian passport, I can't imagine that she would have a problem.

Timeline

Damn! I screwed up, instead of putting Russia as the state/country I put Kaluga. So they assumed it was in Uzbekistan...of course on part B, it does have Russia as the country. You would think when they inputed the data, the data on part B would've raised a flag and cause an inquiry...but ultimately it's on me. Hopefully they won't require a change of address from us and just make the correction there.

Be back in 10 days.

Timeline

No I think she was concerned that Uzbekistan hadn't accepted her renouncement of her citizenship and that she had in effect 'dual' citizenship which isn't allowed and can be a problem in Uzbekistan. Apparently a few years ago, one of her relatives was in a similar situation and had to bribe her way out of Uzbekistan. The whole, "you're going to have to go to Uzbekistan", made her panic a bit about her papers being in order.

She's cool now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.