George and Movi

NBI Certificate with alias (A.K.A)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, has anyone of you here ever secure an NBI Certificate after a change of name due to an annulment of marriage?

Here is my experience. My previous marriage was annulled and immediately thereafter, i filed for change of my surname from the surname of my ex husband to my maiden name. The different government agencies as well as my records of employment effected the change and i was issued the new IDs.

I went to the NBI office and ask how will i apply for an NBI Certificate with my new status.I was advised by the staff of the NBI to pay 2 applications, one using my maiden name and one using my ex husband's surname. Since it was already 11am and it was the cut off time, so was advised to come back at 1pm. Upon my return i went to the cashier and informed her that im requesting for 2 NBI certificates, one for my maiden name and one using my ex husband's surname. The cashier told me that i just have to apply for one NBI certificate and the form has a column for me to fill out my husband's name. I asked her " In that case, then the NBI Certificate will show my name using the ex husband's surname, which should not be the case. I want an NBI certificate with my maiden name in it, however, before i was using my ex husband's surname." She said i apply and pay only for one.

I was confused with what i heard, and so i filled out the forms and then used my maiden name. Of course, i was able to secure an NBI in my maiden name.

Days later, i read the blog of MikeinWyoming about his fiancee's NBI Certificate and all the intricacies and bureaucracies of securing it. Thanks to him, I learned that my NBI certificate has to bear my previous married name as A.K.A.

I went back to NBI and wrote on the column for alias/previous name, my complete previous name. To my surprise, when i claimed my NBI certificate, it does not show any alias or my previous name. So i talked to NBI staff again and he said "You didnt tell us that you want your alias to appear."

I told him " I filled out the column for alias/previous name"

He said " we just picked up the data on the first name and surname"

I replied " In that case, my filling out the column for alias/previous name is useless at all if you have not check it."

He answered "No, its not useless, we will change your certificate". And i was advised to come back after 10 days.Good thing i was no longer required to pay for the new certificate.

Today, i went to NBI and finally have my NBI certificate in my maiden name with an A.K.A /alias.

After my experience with the NSO and now with the NBI, i just wanted to make sure that the NBI has provided me with the correct one which i will present to the embassy soon. May i know for those who had an annulment and secured an NBI certificate, how does the a.k.a appear ? please refer to the choices:

1. A.K.A ( ex husband's surname ) (my first name ) y (my mother's surname name prior to her marriage to

to my dad)

or

2. A.K.A ( ex husband's surname ) ( my First name ) y ( my father's surname)

Your comment and help will be very much appreciated.

Please visit our website and make a difference in the lives of the children.www.gracegeneralsantos.org

After my experience with the NSO and now with the NBI, i just wanted to make sure that the NBI has provided me with the correct one which i will present to the embassy soon. May i know for those who had an annulment and secured an NBI certificate, how does the a.k.a appear ? please refer to the choices:

1. A.K.A ( ex husband's surname ) (my first name ) y (my mother's surname name prior to her marriage to

to my dad)

or

Hi,

If done correctly it should be #2. In our case the Consular Officer wrote out that she wanted to see it as #1! probably because she was confused. I think if the original one we handed in had an AKA as #2 she would not have rejected it. Either way - I suspect the Embassy will accept it. It is a game - korek ka dyan - the NBI does not pick up the name on the background check - so that value of the listing is meaningless.

Good luck!

Edited by MikeInWyoming

Mike & Beth, Riverton, WY

I-129F Section:

23 Apr 2009 | CSC Received I-129F

26 Sep 2009 | Wedding

AoS Section:

09 Oct 2009 | I-485 packet received in Chicago

06 Mar 2010 | Green Cards received

I-751 Removal of Conditions Section:

26 Nov 2011 | Filed I-751 ROC packet to CSC

16 Jun 2012 | 10 Year Green cards arrive

N-400 Naturalization - Citizenship Section:

26 NOV 2012 | Sent N-400 to Phoenix Lockbox

30 NOV 2012 | 797C

17 DEC 2012 | Biometrics

Timeline

to my dad)

or

Hi,

If done correctly it should be #2. In our case the Consular Officer wrote out that she wanted to see it as #1! probably because she was confused. I think if the original one we handed in had an AKA as #2 she would not have rejected it. Either way - I suspect the Embassy will accept it. It is a game - korek ka dyan - the NBI does not pick up the name on the background check - so that value of the listing is meaningless.

Good luck!

Please visit our website and make a difference in the lives of the children.www.gracegeneralsantos.org

Timeline

Hi,

Thanks a lot. I really enjoyed reading your blogs. Its informative and helped me a lot specially with this NBI Certificate.

Timeline

Hi MikeinWyoming,

Oops sorry about the above, i clicked the wrong button. Thanks for the help.

My mom had the same case.. they were interviewed last Oct 13 and she submitted her NBI with aka, the next day 10/14. and until now, she is still waiting for her visa :(.. I've been calling the US embassy and they've been telling me the same thing, maximum of 6 weeks if we didn't hear anything to call back.. Goodluck to you guys.. Hoping to get the visa soon..

our timeline:

June 2, 2004- NOA1 (I-130= CSC)

June 21, 2004- NOA1 (I-129F= MSC)

August 3, 2004- I-129F was touched

August 12, 2004- NOA2 I-130 (CSC)

September 13, 2004- case # assigned

October 4, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill sent out

October 12, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill received

October 13, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill sent out

October 14, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill received by NVC

October 20, 2004- DS-3032 arrives in computer

October 21, 2004- wife received DS-3032 from NVC

October 25, 2004- IV-fee bill was generated

October 29, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill sent out by NVC

November 01, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill received from NVC

November 02, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill sent out

November 03, 2004- I-864 received by NVC, IV-fee bill received by St. Louis

November 12, 2004- NVC entered IV fee bill into system

November 15, 2004- DS-230 generated

November 18, 2004- incomplete I-864 sent out by NVC

November 26, 2004- received DS-230 and I-864 for completion

November 29, 2004- mailed out DS-230 and I-864 to NVC

November 30, 2004- DS-230 and I-864 form recieved by NVC

December 2, 2004- DS-230 updated in system

December 13, 2004- CASE COMPLETED

January 24, 2005- MEDICAL and MEDICAL RESULT

January 31, 2005- K3 approved

February 8, 2005- INTERVIEW DATE, APPROVED!! :)

" Do you know that the darkest hour is the hour before sunrise? So when you feel you are at your darkest moment, remember you may be just a moment away from your sunshine. "

Timeline
My mom had the same case.. they were interviewed last Oct 13 and she submitted her NBI with aka, the next day 10/14. and until now, she is still waiting for her visa :(.. I've been calling the US embassy and they've been telling me the same thing, maximum of 6 weeks if we didn't hear anything to call back.. Goodluck to you guys.. Hoping to get the visa soon..

Hi,

Hope your mom gets her visa soon. seems it take a long time before visa is issued once the consul requires another document. It would have been of great help if it was clearly indicated in the requirements that those with corrections/ previous name get the NBI certificate with alias.

Good luck!!

Hi,

Hope your mom gets her visa soon. seems it take a long time before visa is issued once the consul requires another document. It would have been of great help if it was clearly indicated in the requirements that those with corrections/ previous name get the NBI certificate with alias.

Good luck!!

Thanks.. I know.. we hope that they'll get the visa soon.. but I will keep you posted.

our timeline:

June 2, 2004- NOA1 (I-130= CSC)

June 21, 2004- NOA1 (I-129F= MSC)

August 3, 2004- I-129F was touched

August 12, 2004- NOA2 I-130 (CSC)

September 13, 2004- case # assigned

October 4, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill sent out

October 12, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill received

October 13, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill sent out

October 14, 2004- DS-3032 and affidavit bill received by NVC

October 20, 2004- DS-3032 arrives in computer

October 21, 2004- wife received DS-3032 from NVC

October 25, 2004- IV-fee bill was generated

October 29, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill sent out by NVC

November 01, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill received from NVC

November 02, 2004- I-864 and IV-fee bill sent out

November 03, 2004- I-864 received by NVC, IV-fee bill received by St. Louis

November 12, 2004- NVC entered IV fee bill into system

November 15, 2004- DS-230 generated

November 18, 2004- incomplete I-864 sent out by NVC

November 26, 2004- received DS-230 and I-864 for completion

November 29, 2004- mailed out DS-230 and I-864 to NVC

November 30, 2004- DS-230 and I-864 form recieved by NVC

December 2, 2004- DS-230 updated in system

December 13, 2004- CASE COMPLETED

January 24, 2005- MEDICAL and MEDICAL RESULT

January 31, 2005- K3 approved

February 8, 2005- INTERVIEW DATE, APPROVED!! :)

" Do you know that the darkest hour is the hour before sunrise? So when you feel you are at your darkest moment, remember you may be just a moment away from your sunshine. "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.