chyiochan

Two different stories, one ruined wedding. (Posting again and with updates)

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

If i were you amberhoney, I would go with the CR1 over the K3... seriously. It's a landed immigrant visa, upon completion and approval, you will be green card equiped -- you can work almost straight away and since you'll have been married less than to years you do a Removal of Conditions to get your 10 year green card.

It's a far better visa and...

Duhduhduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh...

It's a lot less expensive!!

Do your research first, a little more time to ensure you're doing it right wont' hurt. If your guy is in Michigan, it's not that far to travel really so...

anyway....

just trying to help.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Thanks for that link, lemme read!

The reason why we chose the K-3, was because we had been told (Ugh, I know, old line) that we could be married beforehand and get it processed while living together. Since the original plan was to get married and live in the states, it sounded perfectly fine.

We were told about the Cr1 one that we would have to wait for the paperwork to be completed before we could get married, and we wanted the wedding date to be on a certain day.

I think i said something like that in one of my other posts. I am not sure. let me know if you have anymore questions!

Timeline

Yeah, I know that now. I wonder what the Lady at the Border had meant to us then.

I will research with my fiancee about options.

Question though. To file for the CR-1, do I need the Legal Marriage Certificate, or am I able to use the forms signed by the officiant and Us at the wedding? I am most likely guessing its the full certificate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

One positive thing to remember is that Canada is not that far away and you guys can see each other more often than most of us. Most of us can't drive across the boarder or can fly over a weekend if we want to. I am in no way trying to make light of this situation and I know being seperated is hard. I have been apart from my fiance since May and will probably not see him until January or February. This process is challenging to say the least but the main thing to remember...it could be worse...he could be half way around the world and seeing each other often over the time it is going to take to get this process completed could be a lot more difficult... I wish you guys the best of luck. And as someone had mentioned before, you will find support and understanding on this website because there are a lot of that have gone through it and are still going through it...

You've been given lots of advice so far, and I just want to say that I hope everything works out for you and your husband quickly so that you will be together always.

Keep close to here as there are MANY that have walked down this road in various styles of visa's, some having to learn the hard way too. It's a real common mistake between Canada and America, because often we don't think of ourselves as immigrants...but we are..and so are they.. :) I've mentioned to several people back home before I moved to tell sons, daughters and friends, ( not to mention a few when I did my medical) to check out VJ because it's such a wealth of information. Of course, this was to people involved in a Can/Am relationship, not just random people.. :lol:

I do hope you're together for Christmas. The "paperwork" quite likely won't be completed, but perhaps you can go down and visit for a couple weeks or so.

Best wishes!

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Everyone's pretty much given you all the information you need so I just wanted to wish you good luck. My wife lived in Ontario and I lived in Michigan so we just made sure that I visited every weekend throughout the process and we got through it. I would definitely keep in mind as everyone has said that you can only visit for up to six months during this process and then you'll have to be sure to return home. Even if one border guard or such states that you can stay longer or that something has been sent to the "Higher-Ups" for a faster approval, don't believe it. I have been filing paperwork for my wife as we've been getting stopped at the border every single time since she's received her visa, 2 1/2 years now, and we've had several people tell us that it will be cleared up soon and such. They can expedite it all the way to the president but as most of us have seen, nothing with the government is ever fast or easy.

In the same light if that guard says feel free to stay over the 6 months, you really need to make sure you don't listen to that. If they can in any way document that you had an overstay you could very well be faced with filing for a waiver and those processing times are usually at the very least 8 months to a year on top of everything else. The rules are clearly stated to only visit for six months and everyone here can summarize the process to the letter for applying for a visa so I'd just go the very safe route. There will be no expeditions for spousal visas so I'd just face reality and prepare for a 8 to 12 month wait. Not saying this to be mean or to make you feel bad but I think we all had to eventually face that fact as well.

Good luck to you and just be very thankful that you live close enough to visit each other quite a lot :) Good luck!!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Timeline

Thank you! I think I may have come to terms that everything will not be ready in time for our honeymoon on the 15th for me to be allowed to stay afterwards. I am just hoping that they will allow me for a short visit during that time until my certificate processes, and that so I can get to have my first Christmas together, even if on a visit!

Editing: I won't stay for over the 6 months then. I don't want to get in trouble, and then face penalties for staying longer. Thanks!

Edited by ambermiele

Thank you! I think I may have come to terms that everything will not be ready in time for our honeymoon on the 15th for me to be allowed to stay afterwards. I am just hoping that they will allow me for a short visit during that time until my certificate processes, and that so I can get to have my first Christmas together, even if on a visit!

Editing: I won't stay for over the 6 months then. I don't want to get in trouble, and then face penalties for staying longer. Thanks!

Oh I really think as long as you have enough documentation to show ties to Canada that you'll be okay. I know you stated this might be hard to get but just get as much as you can :) I married my wife in January of 2006 and then came to visit her in Canada every single weekend, major holiday, and a few times during the week when possible and I didn't have any problems.

I just would never trust anyone other than opinions you see on this site from 99.9% of the people on this specific forum or from a lawyer after you've researched what they've told ya. I wish you nothing but the best in your journey, good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

New update!

You all may know of my fiancee and I getting Married on October 26th, 2009. We had been waiting for a proof of urgency from the border, but the lady had said that she cannot tie her name into the process, because it had been a "special" allowance for us. It was a bummer, but we wrote a letter of urgency, and sent proofs of our hotel registered.

Thing that scared me the most, I sent it in finally on the 29th of October (Thursday) Before 10 am, for Next Day Air. A little expensive, but it didn't arrive next day. It arrived on the following Monday (November 2nd). I phoned the head Canada Post office, and they told me the Postal Code didn't exist! I got off the phone and freaked. But after a while I came to realize, she didn't do the confirmation of the letters with me (You know how they say D for Dog, E for Egg. She must have confused the letters with another letter. I'm just glad it finally arrived there!)

The most amazing news had happened though. Tuesday morning, the Registrar General had e-mailed my husband, and told us they understood our situation, registered our Marriage THAT day, and had the certificates processed that day as well, and sent that evening. We were extremely overjoyed for this, and are very excited things have happened this way. We're waiting for the certificates now, since it takes up to 5 business days (Tuesday is the latest we will receive it.)

I want everyone to know to never give up, and everything will work out! I may have gotten very scared, but I wish I didn't.

Guess I had to though so I could get everything in on time! Thanks for the help so far!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's great news! Good for the Registrar General! Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Steve's wife here:

Others have said most of this already but I'll just reiterate a few points.

1. There is dreadful misinformation out there - on other online sources, and from people that should know better (border guards, immigration officials, etc.). This forum generally has the most accurate information. :yes:

2. It's a long, slow, painful process. We've been married since 2001 and it still took us 18 months. (Some of that was a delay on our part thanks to misinformation from our lawyer!!!!) You can bet on about a year. It sucks. But you can't speed up the process for anything - we talked to our congressman and his office advised us that people have had job offers they had to turn down because the process was taking so long!

3. Anytime you talk to a border guard, get their name off their nametag. Repeat back to them what they tell you and ask if you've understood it correctly.

4. The chances of you being refused at the border are pretty good. I came very close myself, but was simply lucky that the guard decided I was "merely" borderline and let me through. I strongly advise getting a job while waiting for the visa - the visa will take time and you might as well be doing something to take your mind off the wait. Plus proof of employment is a VERY good thing for ties to Canada. (I'm self-employed so that was always a tough sell for me). Take paystubs and a letter from your employer anytime you visit stating that you're expected back to work on such and such a date.

5. If you are refused, don't sweat it. (Hard to do, I know). Yes, it will be upsetting, but the USC should still be able to visit the Canadian, so not all is lost.

6. Anytime you have questions, ask the good folks here. Plus read the FAQ's and Guides (links at the top of the page) - it will give you a good overview of the process.

7. If you're crossing frequently, consider getting a Nexus pass which will allow you expedited passage through the border at many major border crossings. Generally you'll have a smoother process at the border. But be aware that you may be turned down for a Nexus pass if you're already married (too much risk in their eyes of illegal immigration).

Lastly - the process seems ENDLESS when you're in the middle of it. And it's FRUSTRATING. We get it. We've all been there. You can safely vent here, but bear in mind that the immigration officials at the Montreal consulate (where you'll eventually get your interview, if you go the CR-1 route) actually read this forum. (Ahem!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.