Rustbelt

Quick Review of Montreal IR-1 interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Steve's wife here for this quick review (we're both sleepwalking and poor hubby had all of 1 hour sleep last night).

First off - many thanks to everyone here for their reviews and answering all our questions. It was invaluable!

We stayed at La Square Phillip hotel. Very expensive. Quite lovely. Got there too late to appreciate it.

It's a one block walk from the consulate, which is why we picked it :) Well, one reason anyway.

We were up at 5am (at least I was - hubby was up earlier). Left hotel at 6:45 and got to the consulate at 6:50. There was one other couple in front of us (!!!) - also VJ'ers, sorry I don't know who (but hi if you're reading this!)

Others have posted details of getting up to the waiting room, so I'll just focus on our specifics.

We were called at around 8:25 (we had the letter "B"). Very nice woman at the counter - fairly new I think because my former SSN caused consternation (I USED to be a green card holder - don't recommend going through it twice like I did - long story to that). Anyway, it was quickly sorted out and she checked everything on the form with me. Had fun and games as usual getting my fingerprints to "take". I think I must have half-erased prints or something because this always happens to me. She took my sealed medical envelope off me, never asked for the X-Rays (which I wasn't sure I needed, but hey - too much is better than too little). Handed back my immunization chart. One oddity - I have only used my maiden name but this is my second marriage. She INSISTED on putting my ex's and Steve's last name down on the form in "other names used". I've never used either of those names and never will - not after 8 years of marriage! But they have their own mysterious ways, I guess, so - whatever.

After fingerprinting we went & sat back down in the large waiting room.

Soon after we get called back up to one of the rooms (as opposed to the counter where part one was done) and he goes through all the paperwork again. Nice guy. Shortish, slightly reddish hair. Slight build. A few basic questions about how we met, what I did for a living, what Steve does, where we'd been living. Nothing problematic at all. He had more difficulty with my fingerprints (they have to do them twice - not sure why!) but they eventually "took". He wanted to see the paperwork from when I gave up my greencard a few years back (fortunately I'd had the foresight to bring that along). Checked all my originals (which we'd already sent to the NVC) and that was that.

We then had a prolonged discussion about how once I cross the border I can't return to Canada until I have the physical green card in my hand. Now, I was sure that you got a stamp in your passport when you crossed so you could go back & forth at will, so my question to the community here is a) is anyone certain that this is the case and b ) if not, or perhaps regardless, who do I direct this question to? NVC? USCIS? Local border (Peace Bridge)? I can cross prepared to do it all in one day, but as I am right on the border and moving just the other side I had envisioned moving my stuff in "batches".

Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, he was quite certain that this was the law and how it was and I know better than to argue with an immigration official. :lol:

But after all that lengthy discussion he confirmed that I was approved, welcome to the US, and here is your welcome letter. :dance:

So now I just need to get packing. Anyone want to come to a packing party? :lol:

One last thing - there was a woman there who did a DCF apparently and whose husband has already moved back to the US. She had brought no proof of his domicile, so was sent away with instructions to bring back proof of domicile.

Moral of story: if you're doing DCF be SURE that you bring LOTS of proof of domicile. She was told to send a lease and proof of his job.

Oh, and one other story - there was someone there being sponsored by his sister. He hadn't brought updated police reports, I864 documents or ANYTHING. So if your visa interview takes a while to come up, be prepared to take updated supporting documentation and/or redone forms. He was being given a really hard time (not surprisingly). He didn't even have his envelope!!!

Good luck to all the upcoming interviews. Hope it helps!!

Edited by Steve Treible

Congratulations on your approval!

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Steve's wife here for this quick review (we're both sleepwalking and poor hubby had all of 1 hour sleep last night).

First off - many thanks to everyone here for their reviews and answering all our questions. It was invaluable!

We stayed at La Square Phillip hotel. Very expensive. Quite lovely. Got there too late to appreciate it.

It's a one block walk from the consulate, which is why we picked it :) Well, one reason anyway.

We were up at 5am (at least I was - hubby was up earlier). Left hotel at 6:45 and got to the consulate at 6:50. There was one other couple in front of us (!!!) - also VJ'ers, sorry I don't know who (but hi if you're reading this!)

Others have posted details of getting up to the waiting room, so I'll just focus on our specifics.

We were called at around 8:25 (we had the letter "B"). Very nice woman at the counter - fairly new I think because my former SSN caused consternation (I USED to be a green card holder - don't recommend going through it twice like I did - long story to that). Anyway, it was quickly sorted out and she checked everything on the form with me. Had fun and games as usual getting my fingerprints to "take". I think I must have half-erased prints or something because this always happens to me. She took my sealed medical envelope off me, never asked for the X-Rays (which I wasn't sure I needed, but hey - too much is better than too little). Handed back my immunization chart. One oddity - I have only used my maiden name but this is my second marriage. She INSISTED on putting my ex's and Steve's last name down on the form in "other names used". I've never used either of those names and never will - not after 8 years of marriage! But they have their own mysterious ways, I guess, so - whatever.

After fingerprinting we went & sat back down in the large waiting room.

Soon after we get called back up to one of the rooms (as opposed to the counter where part one was done) and he goes through all the paperwork again. Nice guy. Shortish, slightly reddish hair. Slight build. A few basic questions about how we met, what I did for a living, what Steve does, where we'd been living. Nothing problematic at all. He had more difficulty with my fingerprints (they have to do them twice - not sure why!) but they eventually "took". He wanted to see the paperwork from when I gave up my greencard a few years back (fortunately I'd had the foresight to bring that along). Checked all my originals (which we'd already sent to the NVC) and that was that.

We then had a prolonged discussion about how once I cross the border I can't return to Canada until I have the physical green card in my hand. Now, I was sure that you got a stamp in your passport when you crossed so you could go back & forth at will, so my question to the community here is a) is anyone certain that this is the case and b ) if not, or perhaps regardless, who do I direct this question to? NVC? USCIS? Local border (Peace Bridge)? I can cross prepared to do it all in one day, but as I am right on the border and moving just the other side I had envisioned moving my stuff in "batches".

Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, he was quite certain that this was the law and how it was and I know better than to argue with an immigration official. :lol:

But after all that lengthy discussion he confirmed that I was approved, welcome to the US, and here is your welcome letter. :dance:

So now I just need to get packing. Anyone want to come to a packing party? :lol:

One last thing - there was a woman there who did a DCF apparently and whose husband has already moved back to the US. She had brought no proof of his domicile, so was sent away with instructions to bring back proof of domicile.

Moral of story: if you're doing DCF be SURE that you bring LOTS of proof of domicile. She was told to send a lease and proof of his job.

Oh, and one other story - there was someone there being sponsored by his sister. He hadn't brought updated police reports, I864 documents or ANYTHING. So if your visa interview takes a while to come up, be prepared to take updated supporting documentation and/or redone forms. He was being given a really hard time (not surprisingly). He didn't even have his envelope!!!

Good luck to all the upcoming interviews. Hope it helps!!

At the border they could you give you a hassle about crossing without a greencard but I've heard of a few folks crossing without any issues. You can move assets in batches.

Here's the contact info for WNY Crossings: Lewiston Bridge Complex

(716) 282-1500

Peace Bridge

(716) 881-4447

Rainbow Bridge

(716) 284-5174

Whirlpool Bridge

(716) 278-0200

All are open 24/7, except for the Whirlpool Bridge which is open 7AM-11PM

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Thanks for this, Steve's wife!

Would you mind updating your timeline when you get a chance?

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

Congrats!! There have been quite a few that have traveled back and forth with just the stamp in thier passport. Some have crossed and then immediately turned back (just wanted to get the paperwork rolling)

Keep in mind if you checked off the box on the DS 230 to get ur SSN card, it may NOT arrive via that method. Wait 10-14 business days then head to ur local SSN office and inquire about it, if its not in the system, then apply for a new one. if your on the ball, you can download the form from ssn.gov and fil it out before hand to speed up the process. Take ur passport for ID and proof of residency. congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Woohoo! Good job you guys and thanks for the run down...

best of luck with everything and happy moving!

LGG

:dance:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations. :dance:

Great review.

I returned to Canada one week after my POE at the Peace Bridge and had no problem returning to the US with only the stamp in my passport. Not sure if things have changed since June but I understood that the stamp was equivalent to a temporary green card. Good luck with your packing. :D

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Thanks everyone, and thanks for confirming the stamp thing. I think the interviewer was repeating the letter of the law rather than the practical application of it. But I'll call the folks at the PB (hey, we're almost on first name terms anyway for all the crossing I do!) and confirm it.

He said my passport should be back by the end of the week (or perhaps early next week) but I won't hold my breath, LOL!!

My timeline is actually in the Montreal CR1/IR1 thread, but a quick recap is here:

Filed I130 - May 2008

NOA2 - December 2008

DS230 sent off early April 2009

NVC asks for more stuff in May 2009

Done at NVC June 4th

Appointment letter received via email September 21 (IIRC)

Appointment & approval October 26th

Congrats

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.