Ohio_hunter

Conditional Resident and Divorce

6 posts in this topic

My USC spouse and I were married early this year (09) and everything was going great and we loved each other more than ever.

I was granted CR1 late May this year.

I hide the fact that I wasn't doing well in school from her because I was worried I was going to lose her if she knows the truth...I made a poor judgment call that I thought was right at the time. And that is the only thing I hide from her, I have never cheated, violated the laws, etc...

Anyhow, the roof caved in and the truth came out (my mother-in-law used her job to dig into my past) and now she wanted a divorce. She is shielded by her parents from talking to me and have told me repeatedly that it is over.

I have tried in the past month trying to talk to her and offer to meet with a counselor, mediator, and is willing to openly talk about what does it meant to both of us. However, she seems to have no interest in the continuance of our relationship...

I am devastated and I cannot eat, sleep, or do anything besides thinking about her - I want to be a man but it's just I love her so much that I can't seems to be able to move on. My families, priest, and close friends all told me the same thing: "if she cannot stood up for you and caved into her parents, this is bound to happen anyway, she doesn't deserve you" or "marriage is hard if she doesn't want to work it out, it won't work anyway"...but I just want to save our marriage, I just want to make everything right again. Or that she is acting like we are just dating in high school... Everyone wants me to be mad at her but I can't

I want her to be happy, and I want to take the responsibility of my mistake by working it out and follow through my commitment to her...but she just kept shutting me down.

She is now saying that they(her parents and her) have met with an immigration attorney and threating me with the removal preceding from USCIS if I don't get a dissolution - but I do not agree with our separation and frankly, I really don't care if I get to stay or not if I cannot spend the rest of my life with her. It hurt so much to know that she has already met with a lawyer...I thought I knew her and I can't even begin to count how many times she have told me in the last 2.5 years that she would never leave me...

I have couple questions as to the situation

(1) If we do get a divorce, what do I do with my CR? Do I just leave the country or I should stay to file a waiver?

(2) The conditional PR card is valid through may of 2011, do I file the waiver then?

(3)Any suggestions as to what should I do with my situation please do share...

If filing a waiver would help me to stay and fight to keep our marriage, I am more than willing to stay. I believe that she will realized one day that she is manipulated by her mother - the mother that doesn't even allow her to read Cosmo the magazine.

Thank you my follow VJers.

american-flag-2a.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Pardon my prying, but how old are you and your wife?

Seems that you are very young?...

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Pardon my prying, but how old are you and your wife?

Seems that you are very young?...

Age isn't really the point here, now is it? My husband and I were 19/20 when we married.

To the OP - you know you shouldn't have hid that information from your wife. I suggest you try and sit her down and have a long, thorough discussion about your relationship before heading straight into a divorce.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

she's mad at you because you're doing bad in school? come on......seriously? that sucks dude. :( sorry to hear...

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What you need to so is to collect the evidence of bona fide marriage - check what I-751 instructions suggest as such.

Get a divorce.

File for removal of conditions.

Move on with your life.

The reason I asked about your age is because it seems your wife is heavily influenced by her family and neither of you are quite independent financially. She will not come back, her family will not let her. They probably just don't want her to be married to a guy who's got no family or riches or bright future (that's where your poor grades fit in) in the US. May be you will have a nice future, but they don't see it that way. She's young, she'll meet someone else, etc... Best to let her go and focus on yourself.

she's mad at you because you're doing bad in school? come on......seriously? that sucks dude. :( sorry to hear...

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.