Montana + Joseph

Once in the states..

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Alright, so once my fiance is in the states (hopefully May/June), can we register the marriage right away & start filing for citizenship, etc. but wait until August to have the ceremony?

Also, once in the state how long before he can begin to work & drive?

thanks much

xoxo

Alright, so once my fiance is in the states (hopefully May/June), can we register the marriage right away & start filing for citizenship, etc. but wait until August to have the ceremony?

You are kind of putting the cart before the horse. Once married (legally) you will file for AOS (to get a PR/Green Card). Citizenship comes a few years down the road.

Once married (again, legally) - you will file for AOS (and can file for EAD which is work authorization) right away. The EAD will take anywhere from 30-90 days to get and will allow him/her to work. Driving (getting a driver's license) depends on the State you're in - most require either the EAD or PR/Green Card to issue a license. If your fiancé already has a British license, he/she may be permitted to drive using that for a period of time - again, depends on the State.

Suggestion:

For an overview, check out the K-1 Visa Flowchart (particularly Step 14 and on). And to fill in the details, the Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for Adjustment of Status for K1 and K3 Visa Holders

The wedding ceremony can take place when ever is convenient for you guys - the marriage must take place within the first 90 days after entering.

thanks much

xoxo

You need an EAD for him to work. Normally, these take 2 to 3 months. Also, if your SO has an international license, my understanding is that they can drive right away. Check with your state's department of motor vehicles to see what is required to get a driver's license. Nebraska requires an unexpired landing card (i-94), a passport and 2 proofs of address, such as mail that's arrived in his name or a magazine subscription.

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Geez slow down....

You're fiance should be able to drive for 90 days on his UK licence (im in Michigan) But I also registered for my social security numer & took the drivers theory/road test before 90 days on the I-94 expired.

after you file for adjustment of status & employment authorisation your should receive your work permit within 90 days and the green card will come much later (3-6months)

Wow, I'm not even thinkin about citizenship yet...that's years down the line! :star:

K1

5/16/08:Received NA01

2/24/09: NA02 APPROVAL... finally, after 9 MONTHS & 8 DAYS!!

5/5/09 : Interview Date APPROVED!!!!

5/8/09: visa received

From NA01 to interview: 12 LONG MONTHS!!

07/23/09: received SSN

08/17/09: Passed Driving test

08/22/09: Married on beautiful Mackinac Island, MI

AOS

08/31/09: Mailed AOS Package

10/20/09: Received AP

10/21/09 Received EAD card

12/7/09 AOS APPROVED!

12/14/09: Green Card arrived in mail. Happy Days!

It's taken 18 months from applying for K1 to receipt of Green Card! Thank God it's over until 12/7/11

Here we go again...

ROC

09/14/11: Mailed I-751 to Vermont

09/19/11: NA01

10/14/11: Biometrics

7/2/12: Approved. New Card Ordered

7/7/12: Green Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

thanks much

xoxo

You have to become married, then you adjust the status and then wait three years, then you can begin the naturalization process to become a citizen.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.