Rustbelt

Montreal's mysterious "Y" and "O"

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, so our interview is next Monday (yay!) and it's time to put together the document binder which probably won't even be looked at but all us VJ'ers know to be overprepared, right?

So on the interview letter, we have a bunch of documents listed that we submitted. All is fine (nothing missing), but I'm not entirely sure what I need to do with documents marked "Y" (one of the "document status" letters). I understand that for anything marked "O" they got the original, it's been accepted by the consulate as meeting their requirements, and we provide them with a copy if required, but most of the documents with "Y" next to them are ones that were provided in original format. Like the photos. And the I130, DS-230 and so on. So what exactly does this "Y" thing mean? The document status description says that "The required document has been received and accepted" but I'm not sure what that means. I'm taking copies/originals of everything anyway, but I guess I'm worried that if we've forgotten something and/or don't have the actual true original that it will cause problems.

Hope that makes sense. Yes, I'm worrying way too much. Thanks for any insights. :blush:

Timeline

Yes, you are worrying way too much!

Well I haven't seen this question before and I have no idea what the answer is, however, i'm going to take a guess.

I suspect that, as you mentioned, O is for 'Original'. At a guess I would say 'Y' stands for yes.

All of the documents you mentioned, that have Y, are not original/certified forms as such, like a birth certificate, they are things like photos and forms (DS-230, I-130) - it's probably just their own way of sorting documents from actual originals.

Now why they do this, I have no idea.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It's a mysterious bureaucrat speak ;)

I am interviewing 3 days after you and I already started questioning the order in which my paperwork is organized LOL :bonk:

Luckily I already measured the Xpress post envelope so I don't have to obsess about that <just joking> :rofl:

Timeline

See, it would just be so much easier if next to the document status description they said "bring a copy" or "bring originals" or "don't bring anything at all" or something. And how am I supposed to know how many photos to take? (I'm taking two, but I only know that because of VJ).

I've yet to buy the xpresspost envelope. Weren't you going to get the overnight one instead Mikey? You know, the whole guinea pig thing? :P

Timeline
See, it would just be so much easier if next to the document status description they said "bring a copy" or "bring originals" or "don't bring anything at all" or something. And how am I supposed to know how many photos to take? (I'm taking two, but I only know that because of VJ).

I've yet to buy the xpresspost envelope. Weren't you going to get the overnight one instead Mikey? You know, the whole guinea pig thing? :P

Yeah, I haven't kept track of it or anything but they took zero photos from my Husband at the interview - they used the ones we had sent to NVC.

Timeline

Steve, I agree with you that the list is a little confusing. I'm going to bring a couple extra pics, even though we've already submitted some with the application. Also, them putting a "Y" next to passport is weird because you obviously would have to bring your passport, even though it is accepted. We're just going to bring copies of everything because as you said, being over prepared is better than unprepared. Good luck on your interview!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually I did ;) I got priority courier envelope...so I am setting out to be a guinea pig ;)

I am really looking forward to your review :) even though that will be just a couple of days before I fly out to MTL...it's over a week away but craziness is here with me ;)

Timeline

Hey guys...

Any one hear from Americana2009 regarding the revoked interview???

I'm just curious as to how that panned out for them....

PS

I am nervous for all you guys! Geez, just reading about it I got all panicky and it's not even me!

I am going to need some serious face slapping action if it ever gets to be my turn.

Unfortunately... I kid you not...

:D

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There's a definition grid - i've seen it on dis here portal. I'll post in a moment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

* Document Status Description

A = Applicant must acquire this document and present it at the time of the interview.

C = Direct inquiries to your consulate / embassy

F = This form is not necessary for this application.

O = The original document has been received and accepted as meeting post requirements.

P = The police certificate must be requested by the applicant. If you have already applied for this document, no further action is required. The issuing police authority will send the police record directly to the appropriate US Embassy to have on hand at the time of the interview.

T = An acceptable document has been received, but a translation is required as the submitted document is not in English or the official language of the processing post. The applicant must present a certified translation at the time of the interview.

U = The applicant has informed the NVC that the required document is unavailable.

X = The required document is unobtainable for this country per the Foreign Affairs Manual.

Y = The required document has been received and accepted.

I = The required form is incomplete. Please ensure that a complete form is presented at the interview.

S = Scanned document received. The original document must be presented at the time of the interview.

$ = Payment received.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
* Document Status Description

A = Applicant must acquire this document and present it at the time of the interview.

C = Direct inquiries to your consulate / embassy

F = This form is not necessary for this application.

O = The original document has been received and accepted as meeting post requirements.

P = The police certificate must be requested by the applicant. If you have already applied for this document, no further action is required. The issuing police authority will send the police record directly to the appropriate US Embassy to have on hand at the time of the interview.

T = An acceptable document has been received, but a translation is required as the submitted document is not in English or the official language of the processing post. The applicant must present a certified translation at the time of the interview.

U = The applicant has informed the NVC that the required document is unavailable.

X = The required document is unobtainable for this country per the Foreign Affairs Manual.

Y = The required document has been received and accepted.

I = The required form is incomplete. Please ensure that a complete form is presented at the interview.

S = Scanned document received. The original document must be presented at the time of the interview.

$ = Payment received.

Good Luck !

Yes, that's included in the interview letter. But see it has "Y" next to things like the various forms, the photos, financial information and so on. Some of this was sent in as originals, some as copies, and some via email (i.e. scanned). So although I completely get the definitions as given above, I'm just not seeing the pattern, which wouldn't matter except I'm not sure what it means they're expecting at the interview. (Duplicate originals? Copies? Who knows!)

slider100 - Days between "Done at NVC" and "Interview date" = 144. We were done at NVC on June 4th and got our interview date on September 10th. Interview is next Monday. Yep, it feels like it's taking forever when you're waiting.

It's just one of Montreal's Great Mysteries I guess. I'll let you know what they actually wanted after the interview :)

Timeline

Hang on - wait a mo.

Anything submitted electronically at NVC in the 'NVC Electronic Processing' Stage -

YOU MUST BRING THE ORIGINALS on interview day.

I'm certain of that, it's in the NVC Electronic Processing Scant Info Pages up at

http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4409.html

So if it's something you scanned and set in for NVC, bring da originals for Interview Day.

BE GOOD !

Timeline

Specifically for the I-864 - if anything has changed since you sent it in the first time - make an updated version, bring it and the supporting docs in on Interview Day.

Timeline

Thanks Darnell! Yes we actually sent them originals anyway by mail. (Not that I don't trust the process, you understand . . .). Thanks for the heads up though - we'll be sure to take "originals" of anything scanned. And thanks for the heads up on the I864.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.