Shaun Barba

Travel Question (with AP approved)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My wife asked me a question I thought I knew the answer to but wondered if anyone had any experience with this to be sure.

We have our EAD card and her AP approval document.

1) If she were to travel back home to Uzbekistan, would there be any issues from leaving Uzbekistan? Her passport has D/S on the I-94 but her J-1 Visa has expired. We have no question that we could get to Uzbekistan with no problem, and once we land back in the U.S. we shouldn't have any problem with USCIS/DHS in the airport. Our concern is if we're standing in the Uzbek airport, does anyone foresee an issue with them letting us both on the plane with her valid Uzbek passport, expired visa and AP document in-hand?

2) When (thinking positive here) she gets her green card, is there a process to get a U.S. passport? I could most likely look this one up, but I'm looking for real-world experience. Can she/will she get a new Visa for her Uzbek passport or will she be able to get a U.S. passport as a permanent resident?

I thought I was thinking ahead and had all these questions answered, but there are just some details that aren't clear. :)

Thanks so much everyone. :)

-Shaun

si96b1sqs.png

Marriage

2009-06-18 Met

2009-07-18 Engaged

2009-08-12 Married

Medical

2009-08-19 Medical (1st visit)

2009-08-19 Medical (1st visit)

2009-08-20 Medical (2nd visit) [immunizations]

2009-08-22 Medical (3rd visit) [Follow-up for TB Test]

Adjustment of Status (AOS)

2009-08-22 AOS Packet sent!

2009-08-25 Packet signed for per USPS.gov

2009-08-31 Checks cashed!

2009-09-03 Received receipts for all documents

2009-09-08 Received Biometrics appointment for 2009/10/01

2009-10-01 Biometrics appointment completed.

2009-10-02 Received email I-131 (Travel) Approved

2009-10-02 Received email I-765 (Work/Ead) in production

2009-10-08 Received paper AP (I-131)

2009-10-09 Received EAD card

2009-10-16 Received Interview notice for 11/17

2009-11-17 15 Minute Interview & Approval!!! Woot!

2009-11-27 Green Card Received

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

2011-08-17 Mailed I-751

2011-08-22 USPS shows I-751 delivered

2011-08-26 Check to USCIS cleared bank

2011-08-27 Received NOA dated 2011-08-23

2011-09-10 Received Biometrics dated 2011-09-07, scheduled for 2011-10-04

2011-09-21 Early BIO completed in Atlanta, GA - No problems

2012-06-04 Received Text/Email notification of Card Production.

2012-06-09 Received new GC! Expires in 2022! Woot!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

1. I would advise your wife to wait until she gets her Green Card. An approved AP doesn't guarantee a safe return to the US, especially if her visa has already been expired. An immigration officer could give her a very hard time and deny her entry. Unfortunately admission back in the US with an approved AP is a very subjective matter. I wouldn't take the risk. Better to be safe than being sorry!

2. Once she get her Green Card she will be able to travel back home. There is no need to change her passport, the Green Card and her foreign passport will be the only travel documents needed.

A new US passport is issued only when you become a US citizen.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

• 2 months later...
My wife asked me a question I thought I knew the answer to but wondered if anyone had any experience with this to be sure.

We have our EAD card and her AP approval document.

1) If she were to travel back home to Uzbekistan, would there be any issues from leaving Uzbekistan? Her passport has D/S on the I-94 but her J-1 Visa has expired. We have no question that we could get to Uzbekistan with no problem, and once we land back in the U.S. we shouldn't have any problem with USCIS/DHS in the airport. Our concern is if we're standing in the Uzbek airport, does anyone foresee an issue with them letting us both on the plane with her valid Uzbek passport, expired visa and AP document in-hand?

2) When (thinking positive here) she gets her green card, is there a process to get a U.S. passport? I could most likely look this one up, but I'm looking for real-world experience. Can she/will she get a new Visa for her Uzbek passport or will she be able to get a U.S. passport as a permanent resident?

I thought I was thinking ahead and had all these questions answered, but there are just some details that aren't clear. :)

Thanks so much everyone. :)

-Shaun

Shaun,

There are alot of thing "unclear with Uzbekistan Travel " you are not the only one ...

Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner ...

Something else to consider is to make sure Your Wife's UZ Passport has a valid OVIR when traveling back to UZ ! Without this she will face potential problems entering the country - we have heard about "nightmares " on this issue.

I would definately wait for the Green Card because I dont think the UZ Passport Control / Border Control will accept the AP Document.

Let us how things go ...

All the Best !

Charles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1. I would advise your wife to wait until she gets her Green Card. An approved AP doesn't guarantee a safe return to the US, especially if her visa has already been expired. An immigration officer could give her a very hard time and deny her entry. Unfortunately admission back in the US with an approved AP is a very subjective matter. I wouldn't take the risk. Better to be safe than being sorry!

2. Once she get her Green Card she will be able to travel back home. There is no need to change her passport, the Green Card and her foreign passport will be the only travel documents needed.

A new US passport is issued only when you become a US citizen.

Can change old to new passport when arriving to home country and with green card to come back USA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.