menina

tourist visa Brazil

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Has anyone received a tourist visa in Brasilia? My fiance's family is planning to come to our wedding in the US. The visa interview is next month. THey have already completed the forms and are preparing documents to support their intent to return to Brasil. They will letters from their employers. bank statements, evidence of ownership of house, etc. as well as the round trip itinerary. My fiance's mom is concerned about how they will be treated at the embassy, what questions they will be asked, and if they will have sufficient documentation to be approved. I am trying to reassure her that as long as they provide the required documents and evidence, all will be fine. Any advice or someone that has been through the Brasilian consulate that can give her peace of mind? To complicate things further, their flight goes through Mexico which requires them to also obtain visas for Mexico since they will be stopping in 2 different cities on the way back. ( I verified this with both the airlines and the Mexican consulate). So, she is a little stressed about trying to get everything done. Thanks for your help!

event.png

For Mexico, I believe they will only have to fill out a customs form that will count as their visa. I have never once needed a visa to go to Mexico. Before we were married, my wife and I went to Cancun (me from the US and her from Venezuela) and she only needed to fill out the customs form that was given to her on the airplane.

As far as the US goes, I guess if they fill out all their forms and show all the proof that is requested of them, they should have no problems either.

Hope I was able to help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hmm, as a USC with a US passport, can hop down to Colombia, Mexico or Venezuela without a visa, see that Brazil is different. But all those folks from down there need a visa to come here. Wonder who makes this determination.

"ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: A passport and visa are required for U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil for any purpose. Brazilian visas must be obtained in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to the traveler's place of residence. There are no "airport visas" and immigration authorities will refuse entry to Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. All Brazilian visas, regardless of the length of validity, must initially be used within 90 days of the issuance date or will no longer be valid. Americans reentering Brazil must be able to show an entry stamp in their passport proving that the visa was issued within 90 days; otherwise they will not be allowed reentry. Immigration authorities will not allow entry into Brazil without a valid visa. The U.S. Government cannot assist travelers who arrive in Brazil without proper documentation. "

I see Brazil has 8 consulates in the USA, bit better than Venezuela with only three, I know with Venezuela have to show up in person, assume the same is true for Brazil. Perhaps why many immigrants even after obtaining USC still maintain their foreign passports, but doesn't help the sponsoring USC spouse.

Mother-in-law went through that to come here from Colombia for a visit, does own a couple of homes and has family in Colombia, they just want to make sure you are going back. Two of my wife's co-workers have very wealthy parents from Venezuela and Mexico, they come here as they please, even seen their I-94 stamped for a year. It's those that rent or have little family that find it impossible to get a visa. My step son falls in that class, we just go visit him.

Timeline

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately Mexico has a new policy for people who are transiting through if they stop in more than one airport within Mexico, they must have a visa. As for the US visa, we will just provide all the evidence of ties to Brasil that we can and hope for the best. My fiancee's family lives a fairly simple life and have not had any dealings with immigration type things except for when he got his K1 visa. So they are understandably nervous, but I think everything will be fine. Thanks again!

event.png

Timeline

Tell me about nervous, wife and daughter were shaking like a leave when we were greeted by a slew of armed guards at the St. Paul USCIS office.

Could have your spouses parents print this out and bring it in for their interview.

newcolossus1.jpg

Can be found at the base of the Statue of Liberty, but have them say, we only came for a visit. If they ask for a reason as the USA depends heavily on foreign tourists, just have them say, they want to come here to spend a lot of money, LOL. I married a Latin American woman, yep, they use America too. Most wonderful woman I have ever met. Congratulations on your coming marriage, hope her parents have a strip inspection free visit and enjoy themselves.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately Mexico has a new policy for people who are transiting through if they stop in more than one airport within Mexico, they must have a visa. As for the US visa, we will just provide all the evidence of ties to Brasil that we can and hope for the best. My fiancee's family lives a fairly simple life and have not had any dealings with immigration type things except for when he got his K1 visa. So they are understandably nervous, but I think everything will be fine. Thanks again!
Can't they come directly to the U.S.? My fiance is flying from Sao Paulo to Miami.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-06

Touched: 2009-03-10

Touched: 2009-07-08

Touched: 2009-07-09

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 :2009-07-30

NVC Received :2009-08-04

NVC Left :2009-08-05

Consulate Received :?

Packet 3 Received :2009-09-01

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview: 2009-09-22 Approved!

K-1 Visa Received:2009-10-01

Arrived in U.S. 2009-10-21

Married! 2009-11-22

Honeymoon-San Antonio

EAD Approved-2010-03-23

AOS Interview-2010-09-16

AOS Appproved - 2010-10-04

9de103d828.png

Timeline
Can't they come directly to the U.S.? My fiance is flying from Sao Paulo to Miami.

Yes, we had originally planned to do that, but found that the tickets were so much cheaper through Mexico. Also they do not speak any English, so changing planes in the US would have been difficult. THis way they can come directly to SFO from Mexico and not need to transit through any other US cities. Also, we did not find out about the visa problem until we had purchased the tickets. Brasilians did not previously need a visa to go to Mexico.

event.png

Timeline

Yes, we had originally planned to do that, but found that the tickets were so much cheaper through Mexico. Also they do not speak any English, so changing planes in the US would have been difficult. THis way they can come directly to SFO from Mexico and not need to transit through any other US cities. Also, we did not find out about the visa problem until we had purchased the tickets. Brasilians did not previously need a visa to go to Mexico.

Just recall we were at an airport in a country we didn't have a visa for, for a flight change, and were locked in an area waiting for our next flight. Least they had a restroom and a coffee machine. Accustomed to open boarders between the USA, Mexico, and Canada, all that is changing recently, difficult to keep up. Airline travel is positively miserable, hate it with a passion, not a paying passenger anymore but a prisoner. Kind of particular too with the aircraft, really don't trust Airbus, so look again. Ever read the small print on your plane ticket, if they kill you, your survivors only get a couple of bucks, and mean that literally. Both my wife and mother-in-law had to go through a strip search, I was so furious, was about ready to kill.

All because the CIA and FBI were not doing their jobs, FBI is way too busy checking kids sharing MP3 files. It's crazy.

Edited by NickD

Brasilians changing planes in Mexico can be a pain. I know that Brasilians understand spanish, but the Mexican Immigrations officer that my wife dealt with a year ago did not understand nor speak Portuguese. She got detained in the "no visa" transit lounge and was miserable. At the time she only had AP (without a visa), which is worthless in Mexico. It is definitely a great decision to get the visa for Mexico.

Good luck.

Our Story so far...

K-1

7/26/07- I-129F sent to CSC

8/02/07- NOA 1

12/13/07- NOA 2

2/12/08- Interview in Rio- APPROVED!

2/15/08- Visa Received

2/18/08- US Entry

2/20/08- Wedding Day

AOS

3/04/08- AOS, EAD and AP mailed

4/07/08- RFE

4/11/08- AOS, EAD and AP re-mailed

4/18/08- NOA's received

5/06/08- Biometrics Appt

6/14/08- AP approved

6/17/08- EAD approved

11/07/08- Greencard Approved!

11/22/08- Greencard Received

Gabriel was born on January 12, 2010!

Timeline

Brasilians changing planes in Mexico can be a pain. I know that Brasilians understand spanish, but the Mexican Immigrations officer that my wife dealt with a year ago did not understand nor speak Portuguese. She got detained in the "no visa" transit lounge and was miserable. At the time she only had AP (without a visa), which is worthless in Mexico. It is definitely a great decision to get the visa for Mexico.

Good luck.

Well, according to the consulate, they only need a visa if they are changing planes more than once in Mexico. His family is changing planes twice on the flight back, so that is why we need the visa. However, my fiance is only changing planes one time, so he was told that he does not need the visa. I would prefer for him not to have to deal with any problems, obviously. Was your wife's situation similar, or did she have to change planes more than once? It was my understanding that my fiance would remain in a secure area of the airport as he is changing planes with the same airline. Therefore, he would not be passing through immigration or security in Mexico. Am I wrong about that? Thanks for your help!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.