baron555

Russia Visitor Visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Baron555,

Yes, with the "TOURIST VISA" you cand stay at a PRIVATE residence. This is how I have stayed/traveled and registered my Visa with my Olya on every visit.

You do not need to get a "homestay Visa". I have used for the last 3 Russian visa's http://www.russia-visa.com/ either apply for the "tourist" single entry or if you feel you will be going there many times before Alla comes to America (or you think you will be exiting and entering Russia a second time on this visit apply for the "multiple entry".

In Olya's town (Kaluga) all we need to do is go to the "Post Office" and fill out the 3 pages of documents and pay the fee (if I remember correctly it was like 180 Rubles). The reason I do not remember the exact amount is because Olya has never allowed me to pay for it (has caused a couple of arguments ).

Have Alla check with her city/Post Office and find out the specifics for her city on what is required (where to go to register your Visa), it really is pretty simple now. Nothing to stress over.

Just apply for your VISA stamp, the site I use notifies by email that they received your passport (I still send it priority mail), notify you when it is given to the Russian consulate (in DC) and what time frame the consulates states it will take. Then they notify you when they have picked it up from the consulate and also when it is mailed back to you (put in a pre-paid USPS priority return envelope - this will save you $10-15). The whole time frame takes about 2 weeks to get the Visa stamp, so plan ahead.

Then arrive in Alla's town and the next day head over to the Post Office to register your Visa. On my last visit Olya and I went up to St. Pete for 5 days and I did NOT register my Visa again in St. Pete, as long as you keep your nose clean you will not have any problems if you visit another city during this trip

Have fun

Bob

Роберт и Оля

began communication Nov 2008

1st meeting March 2009

met Mama March 2009

2nd meeting June 2009

3rd meeting August 2009

1st weekend spent at the Dacha August 2009

1st visit to the Banya August 2009

4th Meeting February 2010

NOA1 February 24 (we are together at this time!)

NOA2 April 13

5th Meeting June 2010

Medical Exam July 1

Interview July 12, 2010 at 10am (originally June 8)

6th meeting --- October 31, 2010 Finished my contract in Iraq and head to Russia so as that we all (myself, Olga and her son Igor) can travel together to America

Arrived --- November 11, 2010

MARRIED --- December 10, 2010!!!!!

Timeline

I don't know when you are planning your trip, but another thing to consider is that 3 days only counts business days. So, for instance, you can stay over a weekend without registering. Or, you can stay over the new year. Everything is closed until the 6th or so, so you don't have to register.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Just few tips:

1. Homestay visa is valid for 90 days and it takes 2-3 months for local OVIR to issue an invitation ("Priglashenie", not "izveshchenie") upon request of a Russian citizen living and working in Russia. Once the official invitation is issued, someone needs to mail you an original document which you will take to the Russian Embassy/Consulate.

2. It is much faster to get a Tourist visa which is valid for 30 days and can be a single or a double entry. Beauty of a tourist visa is that you can get it as fast as in 1 day through a travel agency accredited with the Embassy/Consulate.

Good luck!

But can I stay with a private family at their residence with a Tourist Visa?

yes, you can. Registration is now done by mail at any local post office. No more going to the OVIR or local police to register. It's a relatively new rule that went into effect 2 years ago.

Phil, considering how short your stay is going to be, Oksana is correct-- the Tourist visa will be the easiest way for you to go. Some points:

1) someone else mentioned russia-visa.com . For the vast majority of Russian visas I've obtained over the years, I did most of the work myself and never used an agency. Now that the Embassys and Consulates basically require you to use an agency, I have used Russia-Visa my past dozen or so visas and have been happy with the service.

2) Don't pay the $250 for the 3 day processing--- you're planning a trip for next July for Christ's sake! You've got plenty of time to get the visa. When using Russia-Visa it generally takes about 10 days from the day I Fedex the envelope until the day I receive it back with my passport, visa, and supporting documents.

3) Since the vast majority of your stay will be in Moscow, you should have no trouble finding an agency to register your visa for about $30-50. There's an agency associated with the Russia-visa service, but I've never used them... I just register the visa myself (in the old days at OVIR... now at the Post Office)

4) MOST IMPORTANT--- DON'T BE AN IDIOT! :whistle: Remember what type of visa you are on-- a TOURIST visa!! When you are registering your visa or if you happen to be stopped by police, don't tell them you are here visting your Mother in Law! You are simply a tourist here to enjoy the sights and sounds of Russia and are staying at an apartment provided by a women you've never met before. :whistle:

Overall, getting and registering a Russian visa is NOT that big of a deal--- just read up on the process to keep up with any changes in the procedures and use a bit of common sense and you won't have any problems.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Just wanted to add the info re: registration in Russia by mail. Your Russian-spkng half can translate. Blank form is also atached.

http://www.rg.ru/2007/01/27/migranty-dok.html

http://www.rg.ru/migrant.html

Edited by Oksana81

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Just wanted to add the info re: registration in Russia by mail. Your Russian-spkng half can translate. Blank form is also atached.

http://www.rg.ru/2007/01/27/migranty-dok.html

http://www.rg.ru/migrant.html

Thanks for all the info everybody. My Alla was just worried about having to generate an Invitation letter before she leaves in early December.

This trip is being planned now as we agreed that we will go back many times and as suggested by many to help ease any homesickness she may encounter knowing a trip back is already planned.

And I want to go to meet her family and friends in person.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My 2¢

If you stay with someone in their flat, you need the home stay visa. The problem is it takes a long time to get the invitation processed. However, many visa service companies can get you a home stay visa with an invitation for a price that's not bad and quickly. The visa companies have individuals in country that handle the paperwork and get paid. Technically, this is skirting the law but the Russians don't care as long as the visa company pays off the right people.

The only additional hassle is your wife or person you're visiting will have to go to the OVIR office to do paperwork and pay the fee to register you in that locality. This can be a two-hour deal or longer depending on the line. After you leave the area, your wife has to return to the OVIR office to clear that you have left the area. If she fails to do so, there will be a fine of about $75 USD at some point. I speak from experience.

I do not know the procedure when you visit multiple cities but you can ask the visa service company how that works.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
My 2¢

If you stay with someone in their flat, you need the home stay visa. The problem is it takes a long time to get the invitation processed. However, many visa service companies can get you a home stay visa with an invitation for a price that's not bad and quickly. The visa companies have individuals in country that handle the paperwork and get paid. Technically, this is skirting the law but the Russians don't care as long as the visa company pays off the right people.

The only additional hassle is your wife or person you're visiting will have to go to the OVIR office to do paperwork and pay the fee to register you in that locality. This can be a two-hour deal or longer depending on the line. After you leave the area, your wife has to return to the OVIR office to clear that you have left the area. If she fails to do so, there will be a fine of about $75 USD at some point. I speak from experience.

I do not know the procedure when you visit multiple cities but you can ask the visa service company how that works.

You have any particular service company to recommend?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline
My 2¢

travlevisapro.com

They are the BEST. I have used them many times and very KNOWLEDGEABLE and Friendly.

Timeline
My 2¢

Travel Documents Express in Washington, DC.

1301 20th St NW # 111

Washington, DC 20036

(202) 785-3250

Used them many times and was very happy. Prices are good i think. Helpful staff.

Timeline

Guess I'm a little late to the topic, but none the less.

If you're going for less than a month, then just get a tourist visa. I've done basically exactly what you are doing this way.

I got a tourist visa. The whole process easily takes less than a month (getting invitation filling paperwork etc...).

If you're not close enough to visit an embassy (D.C., NY and San Fransisco only I think), then you'll have to go through an agency; I think a bunch have been mentioned. If you can visit one, then just do it yourself.

I literally just got back from the embassy today and this is all I needed. I'm sure it will be the same if you go through an agency, only they'll tack on an extra fee.

What you need for Tourist Visa:

Passport

Application (can download or pick one up at the embassy)

Passport size photo attached to application.

Money order (or cashiers check) for 131$

Invitation (ordered online for 30$ish took 2 days).

8 days later I get to go back and pick up my passport with the new visa.

Visa Registration:

Yes you can stay in a private residence and register your visa there. Even though a lot of places do it through the post office, some places still do it through the local administration office (maybe they just haven't updated yet?).

Anyway: it's perfectly legal to stay at a private residence and register your visa this way. In fact, a lot of people actually rent flats instead of staying in a hotel and have to go through the exact same process.

It's also easy to register in a hotel. You just tell them to register you if you stay there; can't remember if you need to pay a fee or not.

You may be interested in a post I made about my first trip to Russia. It's a bit lengthy, but I cover all kinds of things you will have questions about; especially including registration. I mentioned my experience with registering both at a hotel and private residence.

You can find it here:

http://www.waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/view...p;highlight=4x4

Timeline

I just now used that russian-visa.com service for a tourist visa and received my voucher in less than 20 minutes in my email... Now THAT is service! I didn't even pay for the same day processing!

Good call on that one! :)

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.