CdnMN

Thanksgiving

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Explained to an American friend that it was Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada.

She wondered what we ate for Thanksgiving....Told her walrus or caribou...she wondered what it tastes like :innocent:

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Moose! I told Varba's friend that last year and he contemplated making it LOL

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

I've had Moose meat Chili before.

It was... questionable.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I must say I am NOT looking forward to Thanksgiving in Florida this year. The American Thanksgiving that is. My fiance's family has about 50 people over for that day and I am so NOT looking forward to that at all. Call me a baby-la-la but I can't stand huge gatherings like that and considering I can't eat more than half the things they'll serve it should make for an interesting evening.

For Christmas my future mother in law has 70 people over....can you say: me in a corner with a bottle of red wine rocking back and forth trying to keep my sanity :wacko:

Filed: Timeline
I must say I am NOT looking forward to Thanksgiving in Florida this year. The American Thanksgiving that is. My fiance's family has about 50 people over for that day and I am so NOT looking forward to that at all. Call me a baby-la-la but I can't stand huge gatherings like that and considering I can't eat more than half the things they'll serve it should make for an interesting evening.

For Christmas my future mother in law has 70 people over....can you say: me in a corner with a bottle of red wine rocking back and forth trying to keep my sanity :wacko:

Ugh. Ditto. :(

She wondered what we ate for Thanksgiving....Told her walrus or caribou...she wondered what it tastes like :innocent:

Tell her chicken. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I was going through some old pictures the other day and there were pictures of my two Sisters and their families on Christmas day a few years ago (my Sister from Nebraska and her family were visiting my other Sister in Texas and her family). Anyway, my niece is miserable, most of the group looks miserable actually (like 20-25 people) - I believe there were a few people who were probably drinking that looked a bit jolly.

So I said to my Sister (the one who lives in Nebraska) - why the heck did you go to that Christmas 'celebration' - she said it was my other Sisters, Husbands yearly xmas family get together and it was awful - she didn't want to go, but they did anyway - to be nice I guess.

I don't know, I guess I am different, but I just wouldn't go, I wouldn't even lie about it, I would just say, I don't want to go, but thank you. That doesn't seem to be the norm though?

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

It's a southern thing. We have family reunions every Thanksgiving.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Timeline
I believe there were a few people who were probably drinking that looked a bit jolly.

:lol:

I don't know, I guess I am different, but I just wouldn't go, I wouldn't even lie about it, I would just say, I don't want to go, but thank you. That doesn't seem to be the norm though?

There are far too many polite people on this earth! You wouldn't know it from reading VJ, though. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

:lol:

Well, in retrospect, when I was say, in my 20's, I probably would have gone, for the good of the team rah rah rah - then at some point I thought to myself, in general, what if I just say no to stuff, I mean what are the repercussions of just saying no.

So I started to, instead of making up some long winded story, for instance, about why I couldn't go for coffee or go shopping with someone, I would just say, you know, I really don't feel like doing - whatever - today.

The repercussions were - nothing. Some people don't accept no - ohhhh come onnnn, it willll be funnnn - the only thing is - it's fun for them, not me. After a while, continuing with my no policy, when I didn't feel like it, people just started to accept it, and when I said no, that was that.

It is wonderful :)

My fiance goes to his sister's for Thanksgiving... I'm not too fond of his sister for various reasons.

They don't do a whole Christmas thing either, thank goodness. I'm sick of family Christmas. The only thing I like about it is the hashbrown casserole my mom makes and I can make it too.

I look forward to a non crazy Christmas with just a simple dinner.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had moose sausage actually...it is very good.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I'm American and my family had a tradition of getting together for Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Once I was in my 20's, hardly getting any time off of work, I would plan my long vacations around those times to maximize my time off, much to the chagrin of my relatives. After doing that for a while, the expectation of having me there was way less AND now that I've been away so often during the holidays, they're so happy when I DO go. Honestly, I think that sometimes too much importance is placed on these type of events. My husband and I have our immigration interview on the 23rd of November (a Monday) and my sister said, "Great! You can still make it for Thanksgiving!" Geez!

Filed: Other Timeline

:halloween: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all Canadian VJers! Enjoy and be thankful for this holiday filled with family, friends, and food! :halloween:

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I still wanna see a real live moose.

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.