Peikko

Parents given jail terms for relying on prayers to save dying daughter

27 posts in this topic

An American couple in Wisconsin who prayed rather than seeking medical care for their 11-year-old dying daughter were sentenced to six months in jail and 10 years' probation for second-degree homicide.

Dale and Leilani Neumann could have received up to 25 years in prison over the March 2008 death of Madeline Neumann, who died of an undiagnosed but treatable form of diabetes.

Marathon county circuit court Judge Vincent Howard told the Neumanns they were "very good people, raising their family, who made a bad decision, a reckless decision. God probably works through other people," he told the parents, "some of them doctors."

Prosecutors contended the Neumanns recklessly killed their youngest of four children by ignoring obvious symptoms of severe illness as she became too weak to speak, eat, drink or walk. They said the couple had a legal duty to take their daughter to a doctor but relied totally on prayer for healing. The girl, known as Kara, died on the floor of the family's rural Weston home as people surrounded her and prayed. Someone finally called the emergency services after she stopped breathing.

"We are here today because to some, you made Kara a martyr to your faith," Howard told the parents.

In testimony at trial and videotaped interviews with police, the parents said they believe healing came from God and that they never expected their daughter to die as they prayed for her and summoned others to do the same.

The judge ordered the couple to serve one month in jail each year for six years so the parents can "think about Kara and what God wants you to learn from this". One parent would serve the term in March and the other in September. Howard stayed the jail sentences while the couple's convictions are appealed.

Link

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How sad for this little girl. I like how the judge commented that God provides people that can assist, such as doctors.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wonder if the daughter's death has changed the parents view of the almighty - or rather not relying on idiotic superstition to enact spontaneous miracles when perfectly viable medical solutions were at hand.

Filed: Timeline

Makes me so sad and so angry! :angry::blink:

@ M4E...I like what he said too.

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing. Water is surrounding the farmer’s home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up. The man in the boat says, “Jump in, and I’ll take you to safety.”

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.” The boat goes away. The water rises to the second story. Another boat comes up. The man says to the farmer, who is now at the second floor window, “Hurry, jump in. I’ll save you.”

The farmer again says, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The boat goes away. Now the water is inching over the roof. As the farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer, “I’ll save you. Climb the ladder.”

The farmer yells back, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The helicopter goes away. The water continues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof into the swiftly moving water. Unfortunately, he drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says, “What are you doing here?”

The farmer says, “I put my trust in you, and you let me down.”

God says, “What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

Prayer = Always Good

Not seeing the doctor = definite mistake by the parents

(F) for the daughter :crying:

“Acquire the spirit of peace, and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” - Saint Seraphim of Sarov

49893.gif

"The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” - Pablo Casals

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I wonder if the daughter's death has changed the parents view of the almighty - or rather not relying on idiotic superstition to enact spontaneous miracles when perfectly viable medical solutions were at hand.

I doubt it.

Something good happens = Thank God

Something bad happens = It's God's will / God works in mysterious ways / God must have a reason

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
From the article it seems that they genuinely thought that God would save her.

Makes you wonder if God sent someone to help and they refused....just like Annie's analogy.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
From the article it seems that they genuinely thought that God would save her.

Makes you wonder if God sent someone to help and they refused....just like Annie's analogy.

I dunno - its the implied literalism which is odd. Like if you hold a prayer marathon, God will come.

Kinda like "dial 111" for God.

Stuff like this makes me angry and sad..

My MIL teaches at a Christian school, and she said that if a child there were to go through an epileptic fit, they've been told to pray first and then call for an ambulance. Luckily she had the sense to say "no, you call 911 first and THEN pray!"