tibortt

***co-sponsor requirements***HELP!!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I had my interview last week and we were told that we need a joint sponsor, which we have (friend of my husband). But we are still a little confused about the sponsor's requirements. We asked them at the Embassy immediately after the interview, but they were not sure...

So, the questions are:

1. Who needs to be added to the co-sponsor's household size?

My husband and our 3 years old son are both USC, Our co-sponsor is single.

Does he needs to put down on his Affidavit of Support my husband and our son "household size 4" OR only him and me (the immigrant) which makes "household size 2"?

2. Can the co-sponsor shows assets if he is under the 125% poverty guideline? And how many times the shortage needs to be counted?

3. Is there any way to have two sponsors?

It's really a bad situation, because I am still in Ireland with our 3 years old son, while my husband is already in the States.

Thank you all for your help!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The co-sponsor incomes cannot be combined (unless they are household members) so John in Boston and Paul in Chicago cannot combine incomes to sponsor George from Paris. Ringo from New York earning over the required income for his family plus the immigrant can be a co-sponsor.

Assets are counted on a 3:1 ratio. See the form I-864 instructions, page 8 for guidance regarding asset valuation.

Co-sponsor household size is plus one for you the immigrant. If single, then household size of 2. The immigrant is the person being sponsored, not the USC petitioner or their USC children. Thepetitioner must count their entire household and file an I-864 regardless of income level.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
The co-sponsor incomes cannot be combined (unless they are household members) so John in Boston and Paul in Chicago cannot combine incomes to sponsor George from Paris. Ringo from New York earning over the required income for his family plus the immigrant can be a co-sponsor.

Assets are counted on a 3:1 ratio. See the form I-864 instructions, page 8 for guidance regarding asset valuation.

Co-sponsor household size is plus one for you the immigrant. If single, then household size of 2. The immigrant is the person being sponsored, not the USC petitioner or their USC children. Thepetitioner must count their entire household and file an I-864 regardless of income level.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Just one question: My husband's income was not accepted on the Affidavit of Support because he has worked overseas (we have been living and working in Ireland since 2006). Basically he earned nothing however he made well over the poverty line. In this case is still the co-sponsor's "household size 2" OR the sponsor needs to put down my husband and our son as well?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Timeline

Foreign income that does not continue when moving to the US does not matter. Current, continuing income is what matters.

The immigrant is the only person needing a sponsor. If the co-sponsor is single with no children or dependents then their household would be 2 (sponsor and immigrant). They are not sponsoring the USC spouse or USC children of the immigrant.

Look at the example form here on VJ to get an idea of the sponsor's form.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
Foreign income that does not continue when moving to the US does not matter. Current, continuing income is what matters.

The immigrant is the only person needing a sponsor. If the co-sponsor is single with no children or dependents then their household would be 2 (sponsor and immigrant). They are not sponsoring the USC spouse or USC children of the immigrant.

Look at the example form here on VJ to get an idea of the sponsor's form.

I looked at the example and it was clear for me that my USC husband and son do not include into the sponsor's household size, but I just wanted to be a 100% sure that they were wrong at the Embassy when they said that the sponsor's household size is 4. It seems like to me they are a little confused too about the whole immigration system.

I really appreciate your help! Now it makes the process lot faster and I'll get my passport back with the visa in it within a week or so.

Thank you.

Timeline

I have heard that some consulates (India is my best recollection) do require the sponsor to be able to cover the income for the intending immigrant's entire household. But that is uncommon from all that I have seen here on VJ. And the Consulate does have a good bit of latitude in this area.

Of course the person giving the answer may have just made a mistake, or something could have gotten twisted in passing along the information.

Timeline
I have heard that some consulates (India is my best recollection) do require the sponsor to be able to cover the income for the intending immigrant's entire household. But that is uncommon from all that I have seen here on VJ. And the Consulate does have a good bit of latitude in this area.

Of course the person giving the answer may have just made a mistake, or something could have gotten twisted in passing along the information.

Hopefully just a mistake. I would not understand the purpose of sponsoring US citizens. I should get answer sometimes next week from the Embassy.

Keep you posted.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.