Considering Purchasing a Mazda

39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a comment on Subaru vehicles. Depending on where you live, they are a pretty popular vehicle make. A lot of people out in West Jersey and PA drive them. Since 4 wheel drive is standard on it, you get a great value for your price. Where we live, we have a lot of big hills and get some snow in the winter time and the subarus do a great job at handling it. I also drive 1.30 mins to work every day and therefore driving a more luxurious car would be kind of stupid.

For some people, the look of a car is everything. To me, a car is a practical thing and the value of what you get is the most important. Sure, a BMW is a great car, but I don't have 40K to dish out for something that's a want and not a necessity ya know?

It all depends on what your needs are and what you can realistically afford.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

No I totally agree Treble. There are a million different cars out there and no one vehicle is going to be prefect for everybody. I see people driving Subaru's around here all the time, especially the outback, its just not a look I really enjoy. Even though the practicality of a car is number one, I think its also important to like the car you're driving, especially if you're going to make the committment to spend $20k+ on it! With that said, there must be millions of people out there who love Subaru's, because they are hot sellers. I actually saw one yesterday that I thought was cute after posting in this thread... I have no idea what the model was though. It was a 4 door sedan and looked smaller than any Subaru's I've seen. What do you drive?

Interesting thing you guys mention about the Focus. Some people say its a fantastic car and they love it, and others complain about it. Its hard to say! Do you guys have any experience with them since they remodeled them in... was it 2008? They are supposed to be more reliable and drive better then the older model, but I don't know anyone who has a newer one.

I've been trying hard to balance my love of having an attractive car, with the need to get something practical, that gets good fuel mileage, drives nice and is going to be reliable. I really want something small, with 4 doors (no hatch's), 4 cylinders (power scares me), good fuel economy, something that is nimble and drivable, and something that is going to last me for as long as possible! And lastly, is cute. I like rounded features and defined trunk spaces, interesting looking wheels, and a cloth interior (my husbands black leather interior in the Grand Prix burns my butt in the summertime :P). Soo... I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I also think the Nissan Versa is cute, but everyone around here makes fun of them... Maybe because of the price?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you considered a Scion? If I was getting a smaller car, I would probably opt for a Scion. Or a Honda Civic Hybrid.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Scions are very nice. I think the boxy ones are super ugly though.

They're also owned by Toyota.

My father works in one of the Canadian Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plants and he's pretty much brainwashed me into only buying Toyota.

I've also only ever driven Toyotas, so they're all I'd ever buy.

Not to mention, he can most likely get me a discount if I want to lease a new one in the US. Haha.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

Hubby has the 2 door Scion, it's cute and runs well. It's not my type of car, too "sporty" I prefer 4 doors. It's so annoying to have to get out of the car to let your passengers out :lol: or maybe I'm just lazy LOL

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Hubby has the 2 door Scion, it's cute and runs well. It's not my type of car, too "sporty" I prefer 4 doors. It's so annoying to have to get out of the car to let your passengers out :lol: or maybe I'm just lazy LOL

I don't like 2 doors much either, cause I'm usually in the back when I have to be in one of those.

It's tough getting out of them from the backseat.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
I also think the Nissan Versa is cute, but everyone around here makes fun of them... Maybe because of the price?

We have a 2008 Nissan Versa, which I love because it was my first car, and a 2006 Honda CRV.

I'd pick my versa any day over my CRV. The CRV is too bulky and it's too big for 4 Cyl.

Also, the price on my versa with tax was over 15K so if someone is making fun of the price, I'd question their IQ. I mean, who cares what a car cost someone? My 22 year old brother bought a 2008, fully loaded Yukon with 22"s. It's a drug dealers car. Its a 50K car...my brother only bought it because the bank was stupid enough to loan him the money...he certainly can't afford to pay the $900 payments a month and the 6,000.00 a year insurance which my parents are now in charge of.

Again, I think you look for what you are comfortable with and what you can afford. $20,000 is a lot of money. Our CRV was 18K and our payments are $350.00/month on it. It doesn't seem like a lot but once you guys move out of your inlaws and you are paying a mortgage somewhere, it's going to seem like A LOT.

Also, are you financing the car or is your husband. I couldn't finance the versa and I had been in the US almost a year at that point. They told me I had no credit history and so they wouldn't loan the money to me so tech., I don't own it. I own the CRV though as we just got that in Feb.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

I just bought a Nissan Rogue after 20 years of Honda ownership (over the years we have had a 2 door Civic, 4 door Civic, 4 door Accord, Odyssey, Pilot and a year with their briefly produced wagon!) Anyway I was alternating between a CRV and the Nissan Rogue. I decided on the Rogue because my husband already has an Altima, we knew the dealer and were able to negotiate a good price. The Honda dealer was not really interested in us, the CRVs were flying off the lot so I figured there was not much room for negotiation. I also found the interior of the Rogue much nicer than the CRV which really surprised me because I am a big Honda fan.

I love the Rogue. I drove it back to Canada recently (BTW Huggles nothing has changed in Welland :D ) The ride was extremely comfortable, handling good and gas mileage excellent. So far I am sold on Nissan! Only slight negative is the smallish rear hatch window. It takes a bit of getting used to but but so far no other issues.

I think the Versa is cute too!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Timeline

Toyota Camry's are awesome. Used or new. Just thought I'd throw that out there. lol. Oh, and some of the Ford products are excellent too. You just have to know which ones.

Interesting thing you guys mention about the Focus. Some people say its a fantastic car and they love it, and others complain about it. Its hard to say! Do you guys have any experience with them since they remodeled them in... was it 2008? They are supposed to be more reliable and drive better then the older model, but I don't know anyone who has a newer one.

My Mom's got the new Focus. It was ####### when I took one out for a test drive back in 2001, and it is ####### now. (No offense to the Ford Focus lovers out there. lol) My Mom loves it, however. But she's not a really good judge of machinery since she's an "old-lady" driver. lol

Anyone interested in taking over my fiancees lease on her Mazda 3? It's it the Surrey/White Rock area.

If interested PM me and I'll give you the details.

Now may be a good time to point out that you are on a US immigration board. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I just bought a Nissan Rogue after 20 years of Honda ownership

I love the Rogue. I drove it back to Canada recently (BTW Huggles nothing has changed in Welland :D ) The ride was extremely comfortable, handling good and gas mileage excellent. So far I am sold on Nissan! Only slight negative is the smallish rear hatch window. It takes a bit of getting used to but but so far no other issues.

bah! I'm jealous. We should have waited a few more months to save up and get the rogue. They didn't want to negotiate with us at the Honda dealership at all but I thought it was a great car.

I'm not so thrilled, though. We've already had a few problems with it and ti only has 35K miles. The rogue is sleek looking and the interior is so much nicer. I really love nissans and probably will get another nissan after we get rid of the honda.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Toyota Camry's are awesome. Used or new. Just thought I'd throw that out there. lol. Oh, and some of the Ford products are excellent too. You just have to know which ones.

Unless you like a car that goves over 50 mph :P

I absolutely hate scions. I have 3 friends who bough the scion TC. Their performance is subpar for what you are paying and all 3 friends had the same problem with the steering an steering column. Now, I did have a friend who had the box looking scion and that car was very reliable and economical. It's just a box on wheels though :rofl:

Has anyone had any experience with the new Mini Coopers? Mel really wants one of those and i've been hard pressed to find a proper poor review of it. I just hope I can get her to NOT get the sport package one. God only knows how high the insurance will be on that for her :blink:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.