Estu and Torry

what does this say about the police cert??

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

i cant get a good handle on this sentence... please help

Police certificate

Indonesia,

"Unavailable for applicants inside and outside Indonesia. Indonesian police certificates require initial processing at a local or village level, which is nonstandard in nature, can be subject to capricious decisions by officials and may require nonofficial payments to proceed further."

what exactly does this say? does it mean that she doesnt have to get one because the police in indonesia are corrupt?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Police certificate

Indonesia,

"Unavailable for applicants inside and outside Indonesia. Indonesian police certificates require initial processing at a local or village level, which is nonstandard in nature, can be subject to capricious decisions by officials and may require nonofficial payments to proceed further."

what exactly does this say? does it mean that she doesnt have to get one because the police in indonesia are corrupt?

Yes. "Unavailable" means you don't need to get one. Any document that can be "bought" isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Police certificate

Indonesia,

Yes. "Unavailable" means you don't need to get one. Any document that can be "bought" isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

:whistle:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

As Jim stated, if the State Department's reciprocity page states that a given document is "Unavailable" from the listed country, it means that DoS recognizes that it can't be obtained and therefore the consulate will not require it.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline
As Jim stated, if the State Department's reciprocity page states that a given document is "Unavailable" from the listed country, it means that DoS recognizes that it can't be obtained and therefore the consulate will not require it.

thank you very much for the help everyone... i really just wanted to make sure that it was saying that so thank you for the help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Consider yourself lucky that you dont need it. Took us almost 5 months to get one from lebanon.

Edited by mari joe

Vermont Service Center Consulate: manila, philippinesI-129F Sent : 2009-03-23 I-129F NOA1: 2009-03-25 I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-02

NVC Received : 2009-09-04 NVC Left : 2009-10-07 Consulate Received : 2009-10-15

interview date: 2009-11-05 APPROVED!! Thank you Jesus!!

AOS

I-485 sent 2010-08-02, NOA 2010-12-02

I-765 sent 2010-08-02, NOA 2010-12-02

I-131 sent 2010-08-02, NOA 2010-12-02

Transfered to CSC 2010-26-02 Biometrics 2010-03-03

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dual...nship_faq.htm#1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Better get prepared with very strong and convincing reason though. Because other people have managed to get it, and the Embassy does ask for it during document screening prior to interview. It is also needed for AOS after your fiancee arrives in the US.

Good luck.

D

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Timeline

just out of curiosity, because my sayang is from Indoneisa too, what IS this police document for? Is the USCIS asking for my fiancee's police record? I just want to be prepared for whatever comes my way, as I am awaiting the NOA2

thanks

Timeline
just out of curiosity, because my sayang is from Indoneisa too, what IS this police document for? Is the USCIS asking for my fiancee's police record? I just want to be prepared for whatever comes my way, as I am awaiting the NOA2

thanks

It's for interview at the US embassy in Jakarta, and also needed later for Adjustment of Status after your fiancee arrives in the US. You can tell your fiancee to start working on getting it, because it takes time. I was getting mine when still waiting for NOA2.

Timeline:

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

01-05-09 RFE received

thanks

It's for interview at the US embassy in Jakarta, and also needed later for Adjustment of Status after your fiancee arrives in the US. You can tell your fiancee to start working on getting it, because it takes time. I was getting mine when still waiting for NOA2.

Um... no police certificate is required for AOS. If you've been arrested or convicted of something, you have to provide arrest and/or court records. The I-485 instructions do not ask for foreign police certificates for applicants adjusting from K-1 nonimmigrant fiance status. See the VJ AOS guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

thanks

Um... no police certificate is required for AOS. If you've been arrested or convicted of something, you have to provide arrest and/or court records. The I-485 instructions do not ask for foreign police certificates for applicants adjusting from K-1 nonimmigrant fiance status. See the VJ AOS guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Oh really? I sent mine (copy of it anyway) when I applied for AOS because I read the instruction for I-485 downloaded from USCIS website. I do kinda remember that it was not on VJ check list for AOS though. I got my green card, so I guess I did it right :P (got an RFE but for totally different reason...) Anyways... the police certificate is asked for by the embassy. I really don't know what would happen if one just said "Sorry I don't have one because I can't get it", but I suspect it would not be a sufficient reason because many people have managed to get it. My husband and I agree that being fully prepared is totally worth it (one thing is for a peace of mind), and that's what we did when we were working on our K-1 and AOS. I started getting police certificates (one from Indonesia and one from Japan) way before we received our K-1 NOA2.

Best of luck to Estu and Torry :)

Timeline:

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

01-05-09 RFE received

Oh really? I sent mine (copy of it anyway) when I applied for AOS because I read the instruction for I-485 downloaded from USCIS website. I do kinda remember that it was not on VJ check list for AOS though. I got my green card, so I guess I did it right :P (got an RFE but for totally different reason...) Anyways... the police certificate is asked for by the embassy. I really don't know what would happen if one just said "Sorry I don't have one because I can't get it", but I suspect it would not be a sufficient reason because many people have managed to get it. My husband and I agree that being fully prepared is totally worth it (one thing is for a peace of mind), and that's what we did when we were working on our K-1 and AOS. I started getting police certificates (one from Indonesia and one from Japan) way before we received our K-1 NOA2.

Best of luck to Estu and Torry :)

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, and I fully agree that every effort should be made to provide everything the embassy asks for. As Gary says, there's no such thing as "too much gun" when it comes to this process. It's far better to provide extra information that's not strictly necessary than to get delayed, RFE'd, or denied for not providing enough.

That said, I did check the I-485 instructions, and they say that police clearances are required for applicants adjusting from certain statuses as specified on I-485 supplements. K-1 is not one of those statuses; police clearances are not necessary for K-1s. But, like you said, sending it obviously didn't hurt you. On the other hand, people shouldn't worry unnecessarily because they don't have a copy of the certificate to send with the AOS package—it's not required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.