5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I need an advice. My fiancee came in K1 visa about 10 days ago and we got marry last week. We went to Social Security office, to apply for Social Security, but the officer staff told us that he doesnt need to apply because the INS usually will send it automatically... is this true? I read somewhere in this forum, he is eligible to apply for Social Security. Is there a certain time limit before he can apply? if he wants to apply driver license, does he need the social? I cant get any info from DMV either...

When he entered in LA port of entry, the immigration officer told him that with K1 visa, he can apply for SS, DL and K1 visa is a working permit also which is valid for 90 days...

Any suggestion in what we should do, we greatly appreciate it....

Does anyone has the most recent time limit? we are thinking to apply as soon as we get our marriage license in 2 wks. thank you

Timeline

10/05/09 - I-485, I-131, I-765 package sent

10/14/09 - Received NOA 1

10/16/09 - Check cashed by INS

still waiting for biometric

11/16/09 - Called INS customer service for service request on biometric appt

11/20/09 - Received biometric appt (Finally) notice date 11/3/09, sent on 11/18/09

11/23/09 - Walked in Biometric Appt in ASC Pomona, CA (scheduled for 12/3/09)

11/23/09 - I-485 & I-765 touched, No update on I-131 :(

11/24/09 - Received e-mail of approval notice on I-131, EAD card ordered, I-485 touched

11/25/09 - I-131 & I-765 touched

11/26/09 - I-131 touched

11/27/09 - I-131 touched

11/27/09 - Received another biometric appt letter for 12/3/09

11/28/09 - Received AP document in the mail

12/01/09 - I-765 touched, received e-mail I-765 approved

12/02/09 - I-765 touched

12/05/09 - Received Interview notification on 01/06/10

12/10/09 - Received e-mail I-765 card undelivarable :(

12/11/09 - Called USCIS, service request was placed (hope to get the EAD soon)

12/14/09 - Received e-mail, EAD card was re-send

12/16/09 - Received EAD card on hand

01/06/10 - GC approved YAY!!!!

01/19/10 - Received GC in the mail

Does anyone has the most recent time limit? we are thinking to apply as soon as we get our marriage license in 2 wks. thank you

We also went through LA. Unless things changed in the last year, he will need to apply for the SSN. The INS updates the information in the computer, so the SSN administration can verify he is legally in the US. This takes about two weeks. He can then apply for the SSN. He must apply at least three weeks before the I-94 expires, otherwise they will not issue a SSN. If you wait too long, he will have to wait until AOS is complete, and he has his green card. (Some SSN offices don't know how to process a K-1 SSN applicant. When we applied, everyone said no, until they called in the office supervisor, who knew where to find the information on the SSN computer).

He will need a SSN to get a drivers license. They want to see the actual SSN card. A copy was not good enough in our case. The K-1 is not valid for work.

H.

AOS Timeline

11/29/07 - Fedex'd to Lockbox (Chicago)

12/3/07 - Delivery confirmation..........

12/21/07 - Checks cashed!!!

01/10/08 Paper NOA1 for daughter received - Postmarked 12/20/07

MSC# on back of check doesn't match MSC# on NOA.

01/31/08 Still no news for wife. All three numbers still come up red on-line.

02/26/08 Called USCIS 800 number. Very friendly and helpful individual and supervisor.

Found out correct MSC numbers. Also found out that we missed the Bio!

We never received any appointment letter. (Originally set for January)

Went to local support office and asked about re-scheduling the Bio. Very nice manager at the office

did our Bio then and there, without having to wait since they were not busy.

April 8 and still waiting.......

May 11....and waiting, and waiting...not even a touch.

May 24 received NOA2 appointment for Interview for 30 July. Web page still not updated.

July 30 - Interview. APPROVED. Green card will be sent.

9/12/08 Called USCIS asking where GC's are?

10/15/08 Get letter from USCIS that GC's were sent August 8. Never received them.

10/20/08 Sent forms and $740 for two new GC's.

11/7/08 Received confirmation of receipt for new GC's.

11/12/08 Received BIO appointment.

11/25/08 Bio done.

Waiting, waiting, waiting

January 2009 finally received GC!

May 3 2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions.

June 21 Bio appointment.

August 11 Approval letter. No Interview.

August 21 - 10 Year card received.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone, I need an advice. My fiancee came in K1 visa about 10 days ago and we got marry last week. We went to Social Security office, to apply for Social Security, but the officer staff told us that he doesnt need to apply because the INS usually will send it automatically... is this true? I read somewhere in this forum, he is eligible to apply for Social Security. Is there a certain time limit before he can apply? if he wants to apply driver license, does he need the social? I cant get any info from DMV either...

When he entered in LA port of entry, the immigration officer told him that with K1 visa, he can apply for SS, DL and K1 visa is a working permit also which is valid for 90 days...

Any suggestion in what we should do, we greatly appreciate it....

No. Nothing is automatic. GO BACK and appl;y for the card in her MAIDEN NAME. Do not try to change the name now, that will result in all kinds of new problems. Use her maiden name EXACTLY as in her passport. When she receives her green card, then go back and change the name. The number will stay the same. If the same untrained clerk is there and does anything except say "You are all set, you will have your card in about 10 days, call tomorrow to get your SSN" Then ask for a supervisor. DO NOT leave until you talk to someone that knows what they are doing.

The K1 is NOT a work permit, he is NOT eleigible to work until the he has an EAD or Green card. The officer (NOT an immigration officer and NOT with USCIS) is WRONG. Untrained people should keep their mouths shut or ask trained people before they speak.

As far as driver's lisences go that is entirely up to the state you live in. Vermont has a very liberal policy regarding such things and requires you prove you can remain in the US for at least 180 days. That means a K-1 MUST be married and MUST have filed for the AOS before they can apply for a drivers license. MANY states require the person to have an EAD or Green Card. Check with your state DMV, NOT the Border Patrol person at the airport.

If he recievec the "employment authorized" stamp at the POE it is worthless for a K1. He does not have the documents required by the I-9 form which all employers must complete for each employee.

The only thing the untrained loudmouth was correct about was the SSN. He IS entitled to get an SSN and I suggest you do it RIGHT AWAY. My wife had hers 16 hours after arriving, no need to wait longer. You will need it for bank accounts, utilities, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The SAVE system, which records legal entries of persons into the USA, is updated EVERY night at midnight. Unless there is a computer glitch, you can apply for the SSN the next business day after arriving. You DO NOT have to wait two weeks. I suggest you do it before unpacking the suitcase. You do not have to be married first. Always use the name as in the passport. Change married names AFTER you have a green card (if applicable)

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Good point about the DL. Each state is different. Our son (k-2 to follow) was issued a drivers license without a SSN (Vermont) as he is not eligible for an SSN until he has his green card (K-2s do not get them until they adjust status) but our state does not require an SSN just that you prove you can remain for 180 days legally.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.