Master5

Interview and Medical in Moscow

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi, I have some questions about IV interview and medical examination in Moscow.

- I heard that they don't schedule the time of the interview, only the date. What would be the best time of the day to go to the Moscow embassy then to avoid the line? What's the hours they conduct the interviews at the embassy?

- Do they allow applicants with little kids to bypass the line outside the embassy?

- What would be the best place to do the medical: IOM or AO Medicina? First returns the results of the medical on the same day. The second one has more convenient location (lots of hotels nearby) and I heard that some people were able to get the results from them on the same day too (normally it's on the 2nd day).

Thanks!

Edited by Master5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Check out the Mosow embassy website to answer many of your questions and to give you more information--

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/fiancee.html

You can also read through the sticky at the top of the forum (although it probably needs to be re-done since some of the information there is inaccurate and a little out of date)

- I heard that they don't schedule the time of the interview, only the date. What would be the best time of the day to go to the Moscow embassy then to avoid the line? What's the hours they conduct the interviews at the embassy?

All immigrant visa appointments begin at 8:00 a.m. Applicants should arrive at the Embassy's Novinskiy Bulvar gate at 7:40 a.m. So basically all of the interviewees arrive at the same time. You can search the forum for some stories regarding the interview experience, but basically they all go into a room with a bank of windows, turn in their documents, and wait to be called to a window for their interview. The folks who are waiting will be able to hear the interviews that are taking place. Once your interview is finished, you may leave. How long it takes to finish all interviews varies of course, but generally they seem to be finished between 11am-noon.

- Do they allow applicants with little kids to bypass the line outside the embassy?

Again, all applicants show up at basically the same time... so there's not much of a line to bypass. Again, you can check further up the page where it says "Reviews:Embassy" or search the forum for experiences, but I don't recall hearing that they give any special considerations. I know that my first fiancee also had a child with her (not so young--- he was 11 at the time)... but she was the last interview of the day.

- What would be the best place to do the medical: IOM or AO Medicina? First returns the results of the medical on the same day. The second one has more convenient location (lots of hotels nearby) and I heard that some people were able to get the results from them on the same day too (normally it's on the 2nd day).

It's just a matter of opinion, cost, and convenience. Using the Metro, no place in Moscow is particularly inconvenient. IOM, for example --- you get out of the Ulitsa 1905 Goda Metro station, walk one block south, one block east, and 1/2 block south and you're there. Don't rely on being able to get results at AO Medicina the same day. You'll hear good reviews and bad reviews about each clinic. All of them are only doing a basic medical exam --- so what's important to you. Is it that important that you get the results the same day and cut down the number of days spent in Moscow? Then pay a little extra for the exam at IOM. Not in a particular hurry in Moscow? Then choose the cheaper clinic.

Feel free to PM me with any other specific questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As far as I know, all interviews are scheduled at 8am. However, my fiancee was there since 7:30am and her interview only happened at 12:30pm. Your fiancee better be prepared for a long wait if it is a busy day.

No experience with children, so I do not know. Electronics (like phones, etc) stay at the door.

Everybody talks about IOM or Medicina, but there is also Filatov Clinic. My fiancee went there and had a good experience. Her exam results were ready in the afternoon, but she picked them up the next day.

Thanks!

Make sure to check this site every Friday until you see the schedule for your case number.

I used the preemptive approach (constant contact with the consulate via email) and my fiancee's interview was a breeze. She was only asked questions about me and five minutes after she was happy out the door. The interview before hers at the same window had not had a happy ending, which made my fiancee worried.

Edited by clueless_in_usa

Timeline

As far as I know, all interviews are scheduled at 8am. However, my fiancee was there since 7:30am and her interview only happened at 12:30pm. Your fiancee better be prepared for a long wait if it is a busy day.

No experience with children, so I do not know. Electronics (like phones, etc) stay at the door.

Everybody talks about IOM or Medicina, but there is also Filatov Clinic. My fiancee went there and had a good experience. Her exam results were ready in the afternoon, but she picked them up the next day.

Thanks!

Make sure to check this site every Friday until you see the schedule for your case number.

I used the preemptive approach (constant contact with the consulate via email) and my fiancee's interview was a breeze. She was only asked questions about me and five minutes after she was happy out the door. The interview before hers at the same window had not had a happy ending, which made my fiancee worried.

Yeah, I know about the Interview Schedule page. I'm afraid they'll schedule the interview for us in late November or even December at this point (see my signature), it will be freakin cold already in Moscow and we have 1-year old child so we can't stand in that damn line at the embassy for hours. What did you write to the embassy in the email though? How soon do they respond?

P.S. Guys, see my info and signature, I don't have any fiancee. I have a wife and a son in Russia and I'm from Russia myself, just bringing my family in US.

Timeline
Yeah, I know about the Interview Schedule page. I'm afraid they'll schedule the interview for us in late November or even December at this point (see my signature), it will be freakin cold already in Moscow and we have 1-year old child so we can't stand in that damn line at the embassy for hours. What did you write to the embassy in the email though? How soon do they respond?

P.S. Guys, see my info and signature, I don't have any fiancee. I have a wife and a son in Russia and I'm from Russia myself, just bringing my family in US.

Fiancee or wife--- it's the same interview schedule.

You don't wait outside for hours--- you are told to arrive at the gate at 7:40am.... you then go INSIDE the consulate ...all appointments are scheduled for 8am..... in other words, EVERYONE goes inside at the SAME TIME.... that is where the wait will happen. No one will be waiting outside for hours unless they show up at the Embassy at 5am.

You contact the Embassy by using the contact info on the Embassy website. E-mail them at consulMo@state.gov

E-mail response is generally fairly slow ---- generally allow 4-5 days (perhaps even more) for a response. Also don't expect any type of lengthy response or correspondence. 3-4 words is generally the length of their replies.

Edited by Rob_Lesya

Timeline

You don't wait outside for hours--- you are told to arrive at the gate at 7:40am.... you then go INSIDE the consulate ...all appointments are scheduled for 8am..... in other words, EVERYONE goes inside at the SAME TIME.... that is where the wait will happen. No one will be waiting outside for hours unless they show up at the Embassy at 5am.

You contact the Embassy by using the contact info on the Embassy website. E-mail them at consulMo@state.gov

E-mail response is generally fairly slow ---- generally allow 4-5 days (perhaps even more) for a response.

Oh, I see. From what I have read already it looked like people have to wait in line outside the embassy. Yeah, I know the consulate's email address, I'm just not sure what can one write to them? Can one request interview re-schedule via email?

Timeline
Oh, I see. From what I have read already it looked like people have to wait in line outside the embassy. Yeah, I know the consulate's email address, I'm just not sure what can one write to them? Can one request interview re-schedule via email?

Each Embassy is different. At some, you DO wait outside for your interview. At Moscow, you're only outside for the time it takes for them to check paperwork and get people lined up, etc. Again-- if you show up WAY early, then you'll have to spend some time outside. Also, the USC fiances are not allowed inside for the interviews, so many of them who make the trip complain about having to wait outside for hours while the interviews are taking place.

You can write them with whatever questions you may have. You CAN write to request a change in DATE of the interview. I did it my first time through the process. We asked that the interview be moved back a few weeks so that the K2 child would not have to miss school in order to attend. The interview was re-scheduled.

In your case, I guess that you COULD write and ask if your wife could be interviewed first that day since she will have a small child with her. The worst that could happen is that they say "no."

Timeline

Each Embassy is different. At some, you DO wait outside for your interview. At Moscow, you're only outside for the time it takes for them to check paperwork and get people lined up, etc. Again-- if you show up WAY early, then you'll have to spend some time outside. Also, the USC fiances are not allowed inside for the interviews, so many of them who make the trip complain about having to wait outside for hours while the interviews are taking place.

You can write them with whatever questions you may have. You CAN write to request a change in DATE of the interview. I did it my first time through the process. We asked that the interview be moved back a few weeks so that the K2 child would not have to miss school in order to attend. The interview was re-scheduled.

In your case, I guess that you COULD write and ask if your wife could be interviewed first that day since she will have a small child with her. The worst that could happen is that they say "no."

Useful info here, thanks a lot!

Timeline

Now that I'm actually awake enough to be thinking --- DUH! :lol:

I doubt if a 1-year old would even need to be present at the interview. I'm sure there's something somewhere that gives a cut-off age for who needs to be present at the interview and who doesn't. So that would be a good question to e-mail to them.

Timeline

I doubt if a 1-year old would even need to be present at the interview. I'm sure there's something somewhere that gives a cut-off age for who needs to be present at the interview and who doesn't. So that would be a good question to e-mail to them.

I asked NVC multiple times already, they say all children should be present regardless of age. This guide says the same:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MOS-ME...L-0001-0903.pdf

My son is not included in his mother's petition, USC has to file a separate I-130 petition for each immigrating child. So he's basically having his own interview just like my wife. I think I'll email this question directly to the embassy though just to be sure.

Timeline

I asked NVC multiple times already, they say all children should be present regardless of age. This guide says the same:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MOS-ME...L-0001-0903.pdf

My son is not included in his mother's petition, USC has to file a separate I-130 petition for each immigrating child. So he's basically having his own interview just like my wife. I think I'll email this question directly to the embassy though just to be sure.

Yes, after posting my earlier response I did some searching and saw the same thing --- the interview rules for Moscow say that all children must be present. Seems kinda silly to force a 1 year old to make an appearance for an immigration interview --- but then, we're talking about immigration rules ... not common sense!

Again, it wouldn't hurt to e-mail the question to the embassy anyway.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well for your wife and son and that the entire family can finally be together again soon!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is very possible that the consulate may accept rescheduling an interview for a later date. However, I highly doubt that they will ever give you an earlier interview date. I tried and I failed miserably.

One way you can take advantage of the communication with the consulate is to send sensitive documents directly to them, instead of worrying because they may get lost if you send them by mail. Such documents could include electronic copies of your tax transcripts and other sensitive financial information.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

E-mail response is generally fairly slow ---- generally allow 4-5 days (perhaps even more) for a response.

Yes

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.