ealachan

last-minute interview prep questions - please help!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hiya folks -

We've got some questions ahead of Mark's interview on the 11th. I've read the FAQ's and lots of posts from people, but we're still unclear on a few things, so I wanted to ask for direct clarification...thank you for bearing with us! :star:

- Will Mark need a copy of his birth certificate along with his original, or will just the original suffice? If he DOES need a copy, can it be just a photocopy, or does it need to be an official copy?

- For the 1-134, we have photocopies of pay stubs of mine, a letter from my employer confirming my salary, a copy of my 2008 tax return and my original 2008 W2's. Is that sufficient? I fall comfortably above the cutoff, so we need no co-sponsor.

- Mark has 2 copies of his police certificate. Should he bring them both, or will one suffice?

- What exactly are the charges (outside of travel) going to be? Is the visa fee $131 US, or will they accept the equivalent in pounds? There is a courier charge on top of that as well, yes?

- Are UK-sized passport photos ok, or does he need to have US-sized ones?

We might be coming back with more questions eventually, but these seem to be the most pressing ones at the moment.

Thanks so much everyone for your help! Once we get over this hurdle, it's going to be a huge relief! :)

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

6/2006 - first face-to-face meeting (he's been over 7 times total since then).

1/26/09 - filed I-129F with VSC

1/27/09 - package rec'd, NOA1 sent

1/30/09 - NOA1 hardcopy rec'd

1/31/09 - touched

4/29/09 - NOA2 email rec'd from CRIS! YIPPEE!!

5/12/09 - Mark rec'd Packet 3

5/29/09 - returned packet 3

7/12/09 - resubmitted packet 3 after being told for weeks that it was never rec'd

8/19/09 - interview scheduled for 9/11/09! Medical moved to 9/10/09.

9/10/09 - medical - passed

9/11/09 - interview - approved pending embassy receipt of medical results!!!!!!! Hard to believe it's finally done!!

10/2/09 - POE: Logan Airport in Boston, MA. Absolutely no problems, aside from the customs official not knowing what to do with the visa and having to find someone to help.

10/10/09 - Married!! :D :D :D

12/2/09 - SSN applied for in Montpelier, VT

12/7/09 - SSN received in the mail - that was fast!

1/9/2010 - AOS & EAD package sent

1/15/2010 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD applications

1/22/2010 - biometrics appointment letter rec'd - appt is for 2/2 in St. Albans, VT.

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Hiya folks -

We've got some questions ahead of Mark's interview on the 11th. I've read the FAQ's and lots of posts from people, but we're still unclear on a few things, so I wanted to ask for direct clarification...thank you for bearing with us! :star:

- Will Mark need a copy of his birth certificate along with his original, or will just the original suffice? If he DOES need a copy, can it be just a photocopy, or does it need to be an official copy?

Yes, brign a copy. PHOTOCOPY is fine.

- For the 1-134, we have photocopies of pay stubs of mine, a letter from my employer confirming my salary, a copy of my 2008 tax return and my original 2008 W2's. Is that sufficient? I fall comfortably above the cutoff, so we need no co-sponsor.

If by tax return you mean ALL schedules and such (not just the 1040 summary), then yes, you should be good.

- Mark has 2 copies of his police certificate. Should he bring them both, or will one suffice?

Yes, bring a copy (as with all other documents). PHOTOCOPY is fine/accepted.

- What exactly are the charges (outside of travel) going to be? Is the visa fee $131 US, or will they accept the equivalent in pounds? There is a courier charge on top of that as well, yes?

Yes, courier fee on top, that's about 14 pounds. If I remember correctly, they do accept in pounds, they just charge the exchange rate etc.

- Are UK-sized passport photos ok, or does he need to have US-sized ones?

This is the step where US sized is required. Can get them at snappy snaps (I think that's what it's called) or try the photo booth in the waiting area of the embassy, but only as a last resort, as it may be out of order!

We might be coming back with more questions eventually, but these seem to be the most pressing ones at the moment.

Thanks so much everyone for your help! Once we get over this hurdle, it's going to be a huge relief! :)

It is a huge relief! Good luck!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

re: taxes - I use TurboTax, so I printed out the whole 1040 return...the entire deal that gets transmitted to the IRS when I electronically submit my tax return...so hopefully that will cover us? It shows everything...income, deductions (not that I have any outside of the standard one and my student loan interest), etc. I don't think there's anything more complete than that!

re: passport photos - is the Snappy Snaps place right near the embassy? Does Goulds Pharmacy offer anything like that, perhaps?

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

1/31/09 - touched

7/12/09 - resubmitted packet 3 after being told for weeks that it was never rec'd

9/11/09 - interview - approved pending embassy receipt of medical results!!!!!!! Hard to believe it's finally done!!

10/2/09 - POE: Logan Airport in Boston, MA. Absolutely no problems, aside from the customs official not knowing what to do with the visa and having to find someone to help.

1/22/2010 - biometrics appointment letter rec'd - appt is for 2/2 in St. Albans, VT.

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

re: taxes - I use TurboTax, so I printed out the whole 1040 return...the entire deal that gets transmitted to the IRS when I electronically submit my tax return...so hopefully that will cover us? It shows everything...income, deductions (not that I have any outside of the standard one and my student loan interest), etc. I don't think there's anything more complete than that!

re: passport photos - is the Snappy Snaps place right near the embassy? Does Goulds Pharmacy offer anything like that, perhaps?

I don't think you need *every* sheet Turbo tax prints out. There's a lot of "info only" sorts of things, but if you don't feel comfortable sorting them out, then just send the whole thing.

Sorry to not be more help on the pictures - I'm the USC, so I can only repeat what I've read elsewhere. There might be a place he can get them at home before he's in London and in strange territory. He'll need several copies, tell him to get more than one.

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Gould's website says they do do them- 5 pounds for 2. Not sure if they'll have someone there to do them at 7:30am though. might be worth giving them a call to check.

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Timeline

So, to review, our complete packet that Mark is taking to London currently looks as follows - if you notice anything missing / wrong / out of place, please let me know ASAP! :)

- Entire I-129F packet - originals

- I-134 (original) plus check stubs (3 pay periods' worth, all photocopies), tax return (copy from TurboTax), W2's (originals), letter from employer (original)

- birth certificate (original - photocopy needed)

- police certificate (original - photocopy needed)

- completed DS-156 - original

- completed DS-230 + supplemental - original

- G-325A - originals - one for Shelby (US Citizen) and one for Mark (UK Citizen)

- I-797 - original and photocopy

- updated Letter of Intent from Shelby (dated 5/5/09)

- boarding passes from my trip to the UK to visit Mark in May 2009.

Can anyone see anything we're lacking?

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

1/31/09 - touched

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Not seen this in this thread but you need to take the original of each your own documents and a photocopy. They will take both the original and the photocopy when you hand over the documents when you go to the window first time.

When you go up the second time they will hand back the originals and keep the photocopy. If you don't give then a photocopy they will keep the original.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Make sure you add UKC's passport to the check list.

Also, the embassy appointment letter.

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Just going to give you my opinion of the list. The simple purpose of original plus photocopy is so they can look at and verify the original then keep the photocopy for your file. If you don't need it back, then they can keep the original. Example: he wants his birth certificate back, so he has a photocopy for them to file after looking at the original. If you need your W2s back because you didn't save a copy for the AOS affidavit of support, then it's best that he make photocopies to turn in.

So, to review, our complete packet that Mark is taking to London currently looks as follows - if you notice anything missing / wrong / out of place, please let me know ASAP! :)

London does not ask for this. Its a VJ suggestion for Mark to have a copy mainly to know what you sent and I think in some cases of people that hardly know each other to study up on all the info about their fiance that the USCIS was given. Hopefully Mark knows how you met and how many times you've gone to see each other and what your job is. You don't need it at the interview.

- I-134 (original) plus check stubs (3 pay periods' worth, all photocopies), tax return (copy from TurboTax), W2's (originals), letter from employer (original)

The tax return printed from Turbo Tax should be the documents that would be mailed in if you were filing by mail. It has nothing to do with the online submission. Form 1040 looks like this http://fasttaxreturnsonline.com/images/tax..._form_image.jpg and it should be signed by you at the bottom of page 2. Instead of the 1040, some people with a very simple return have Form 1040A. Other forms some people have depending on their income or investments are Schedule A (you wouldn't have this with standard deduction.) Schedule B (to report any interest paid to you like from a savings account). Schedule D (only if you had big investments or sold stock you owned.)

- birth certificate (original - photocopy needed) Yes Must have his parent's names on it

- police certificate (original - photocopy needed) Yes

- completed DS-156 - original - completed DS-230 + supplemental - original

He mailed these in but can take back-up copies if they happened to lose them (not likely). Not presented at the first window. Just have in his folder "in case".

- G-325A - originals - one for Shelby (US Citizen) and one for Mark (UK Citizen)

Nope. That was part of the I129f and it's in your file and is not taken to the interview.

- I-797 - original and photocopy Not needed at interview. But important to save to send with AOS.

No again. London doesn't ask for this either. It's a VJ suggestion and may be needed in the Phillippeans, but not London.

London won't ask for any proof of your relationship. Not needed.

- his passport and appointment letter

- 2 US sized passport pictures. There's places on Oxford St. where you come out to the tube station closest to the Embassy (Bond St Station)

- cash for the visa is efficient because their credit card machine goes down

If you look at the list London provides, that's really all that is needed at the interview. Seriously. Most don't apply to him probably so I will bold what I think a single guy with no arrests, never in the military and has documents already in English will need. Bring photocopies of anything you want back.

Birth certificates (the LONG form that includes the names of his parents)

Adoption certificates

Passports

Marriage certificates

Termination of Prior Marriages

Military records

Evidence of Support (all your I-134 stuff)

Police Certificates

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom

Court & Prison Records

Court & Prison Records for the United Kingdom

Photographs

Translations

He can take anything he wants to the interview. I'm just saying what will actually be looked at. Keep it simple. Men get all flustered with mountains of papers.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
Just going to give you my opinion of the list. The simple purpose of original plus photocopy is so they can look at and verify the original then keep the photocopy for your file. If you don't need it back, then they can keep the original. Example: he wants his birth certificate back, so he has a photocopy for them to file after looking at the original. If you need your W2s back because you didn't save a copy for the AOS affidavit of support, then it's best that he make photocopies to turn in.

London does not ask for this. Its a VJ suggestion for Mark to have a copy mainly to know what you sent and I think in some cases of people that hardly know each other to study up on all the info about their fiance that the USCIS was given. Hopefully Mark knows how you met and how many times you've gone to see each other and what your job is. You don't need it at the interview.

The tax return printed from Turbo Tax should be the documents that would be mailed in if you were filing by mail. It has nothing to do with the online submission. Form 1040 looks like this http://fasttaxreturnsonline.com/images/tax..._form_image.jpg and it should be signed by you at the bottom of page 2. Instead of the 1040, some people with a very simple return have Form 1040A. Other forms some people have depending on their income or investments are Schedule A (you wouldn't have this with standard deduction.) Schedule B (to report any interest paid to you like from a savings account). Schedule D (only if you had big investments or sold stock you owned.)

- birth certificate (original - photocopy needed) Yes Must have his parent's names on it

- police certificate (original - photocopy needed) Yes

- completed DS-156 - original - completed DS-230 + supplemental - original

He mailed these in but can take back-up copies if they happened to lose them (not likely). Not presented at the first window. Just have in his folder "in case".

Nope. That was part of the I129f and it's in your file and is not taken to the interview.

- I-797 - original and photocopy Not needed at interview. But important to save to send with AOS.

No again. London doesn't ask for this either. It's a VJ suggestion and may be needed in the Phillippeans, but not London.

London won't ask for any proof of your relationship. Not needed.

- his passport and appointment letter

- 2 US sized passport pictures. There's places on Oxford St. where you come out to the tube station closest to the Embassy (Bond St Station)

- cash for the visa is efficient because their credit card machine goes down

If you look at the list London provides, that's really all that is needed at the interview. Seriously. Most don't apply to him probably so I will bold what I think a single guy with no arrests, never in the military and has documents already in English will need. Bring photocopies of anything you want back.

Birth certificates (the LONG form that includes the names of his parents)

Adoption certificates

Passports

Marriage certificates

Termination of Prior Marriages

Military records

Evidence of Support (all your I-134 stuff)

Police Certificates

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom

Court & Prison Records

Court & Prison Records for the United Kingdom

Photographs

Translations

He can take anything he wants to the interview. I'm just saying what will actually be looked at. Keep it simple. Men get all flustered with mountains of papers.

That is SO, so helpful...thank you!! He's got everything all together in a folder, and he's travelling 7 hours to get to London, so I think he might just take the whole entire folder, just to be safe...but knowing what he needs to pull out and have on top of the pile for when he gets there is super helpful and definitely will help calm his nerves a bit, I hope. :)

Thanks again!

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

1/31/09 - touched

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Timeline

Ok, folks...one more question for you!

The medical FAQ says: 'the specifications for the photograph are the same as those obtained for the visa' . Does this mean US-sized?

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

1/31/09 - touched

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Ok, folks...one more question for you!

The medical FAQ says: 'the specifications for the photograph are the same as those obtained for the visa' . Does this mean US-sized?

All the instructions do say US size for the medical. However---my fiance (husband) took some of each size and showed the receptionist at the medical asking which size do you want. She said, "I'll take the smaller one (UK) because the big ones don't fit on this form they give us and we have to cut them down with scissors." Others have also turned in small ones. They don't really care at the medical so whatever you have.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

All the instructions do say US size for the medical. However---my fiance (husband) took some of each size and showed the receptionist at the medical asking which size do you want. She said, "I'll take the smaller one (UK) because the big ones don't fit on this form they give us and we have to cut them down with scissors." Others have also turned in small ones. They don't really care at the medical so whatever you have.

Haha my husband did the same and they chose the US size!

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Haha my husband did the same and they chose the US size!

That's funny. I don't think they are too bother there as long as you have a passport pic.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.