karimcharleen

wearing rings

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Is the ring in question worn on the left or right hand? Aren't engagement rings (in MENA) worn on the right for men and women? In Egypt they are.

was put on the left hand during our ceremony as was my rings, but it's ok, i talked with him on this, he'll just switch it to the right hand before he has the interview :luv:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvs4P_z7zs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1.png

2.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain to me why wearing an engagement ring is a problem since the two parties are engaged?

A woman wearing an engagement ring is the norm, however a man wearing a wedding band like ring on his left hand (where a wedding ring goes) looks like hes already married, which may cause a big issue for a K1 visa application... especially at a consulate that is known for being pretty rough.

Thank you for your quick reply.

"which may cause a big issue for a K1 visa application... especially at a consulate that is known for being pretty rough"

Is this from experience or just a guess? I'm originally from MENA, and I don't see this as an issue. People wear their rings interchangeably in their left or right hand.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The Warren Commission revisited?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Can anyone explain to me why wearing an engagement ring is a problem since the two parties are engaged?

A woman wearing an engagement ring is the norm, however a man wearing a wedding band like ring on his left hand (where a wedding ring goes) looks like hes already married, which may cause a big issue for a K1 visa application... especially at a consulate that is known for being pretty rough.

Thank you for your quick reply.

"which may cause a big issue for a K1 visa application... especially at a consulate that is known for being pretty rough"

Is this from experience or just a guess? I'm originally from MENA, and I don't see this as an issue. People wear their rings interchangeably in their left or right hand.

the consulate being rough?....thats based on the many experiences posted here everyday.

"people wearing....interchangeably in their left or right" is different from a man wearing a ring on his wedding finger. Seems like common sense to me, why risk it at the consulate?

People work so hard to get to that point of the interview, its wise to play it safe and not give any "ammunition" to the CO for denial or AP ect.

:lol:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

You're good in putting short stupid comments.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband, when he went to his interview (at the time we were only engaged) wore his ring and they didn't even ask him about it. He is also from Morocco. Don't worry so much, if they ask he should just tell them its his engagement ring. I'm sure they are aware of the customs.

Congratulations & Best of luck!

Olympia

Edited by oly&medi

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-04-07 APPPPPROOOOOVED

NVC Received : 2009-04-09

NVC Left : 2009-05-14

Consulate Received : 2009-05-18

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-29

Interview Date : 2009-06-23

Received the call & Picked up the visa: 2009-07-13 FINALLY...YES!!!!

US ARRIVAL: 2009-07-15 My honey is finally here!!!!!!!

WEDDING: 2009-07-24 Best day of our lives :)!!!!!!

Adjustment of Status Sent: 2009-08-25

Employment Authorization Sent: 2009-08-25

AOS & EAD received NOA1: 2009-09-05

Received Notice that AOS was sent to California for faster processing: 2009-09-21

Biometrics Apointment for EAD: 2009-10-01

Employment Authorization Approved: 2009-10-06

Received Employment Authorization Card: 2009-10-10

Applied for Social Security Card: 2009-10-13

Received Social Security Card: 2009-10-21

Green Card was approved: 2009-10-22 yeeeeeaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

Received Green Card: 2009-10-30 :)

Received NJ Drivers License: 2009-11-04

k1uwu9qhh5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

This isn't my thread, but this popped up in "recent posts" so I browsed through it! Men in Finland also wear rings on their left hand when they get engaged. I didn't have any clue until after my hubby proposed to me. We didn't get his ring until right before we got married so he never wore it while engaged, but I had no clue they had that custom in Finland!

Edited by FinnLove

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

This isn't my thread, but this popped up in "recent posts" so I browsed through it! Men in Finland also wear rings on their left hand when they get engaged. I didn't have any clue until after my hubby proposed to me. We didn't get his ring until right before we got married so he never wore it while engaged, but I had no clue they had that custom in Finland!

Off topic, but I just wanted to say, I read your signature and your story is absolutely lovely! How sweet!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hmmm...I missed this thread before. It was mildly amusing. :P

I just asked my husband if it is normal there to wear engagement rings. He said that some do and some don't. It appears that there have been interviews that they wore the engagement ring and it turned out fine. I can't help but wonder if this couple had no other red flags. I have seen some cases where the consulate thought that the couple were actually married, and consequently gave them an extremely difficult time over it. So of course this is not really clear cut. Perhaps if the couple has other red flags this will add more ammunition should they choose to deny the visa.

I am glad to hear that he has decided to change it to the other finger. After having a denial myself I would always play it on the safe side. You can only make 1 first impression, and their goal is to prove fraud, not prove a valid relationship.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Off topic, but I just wanted to say, I read your signature and your story is absolutely lovely! How sweet!

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.