justcheckin

USCIS assigns an INS A-number after I-130

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed an I-130 petition for my infant daughter and it's been approved by the USCIS. I have been waiting for NVC to receive the case but 2 weeks had passed and they still had no record on it. Since the case was supposed to go through consular processing in Montreal, the USCIS should have forwarded this approved case to NVC. I called USCIS today to find out if they have done that.

A USCIS rep told me that they had not sent it to NVC but assigned an A-number instead. I don't know what that means but I was under the impression that you only get an A number if you're registered as a resident alien in the US (or maybe once you get an immigrant visa). They said they will look into the issue but I'm a bit worried that it will delay the processing of my daughter's case.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Are you sure the operator said "instead?" Everyone gets an A-number, it can be found on the NOA2 for your petitions, even non-immigrant ones like the I-129f, so there's nothing wrong there. I know there have been some delays recently in sending petitions off to NVC but two weeks seems excessive. Sorry, not sure why they're still holding on to it though...

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Are you sure the operator said "instead?" Everyone gets an A-number, it can be found on the NOA2 for your petitions, even non-immigrant ones like the I-129f, so there's nothing wrong there. I know there have been some delays recently in sending petitions off to NVC but two weeks seems excessive. Sorry, not sure why they're still holding on to it though...

It is not unusual for it to take longer than 2 weeks for a case to get to NVC and be input into their system. Have you called NVC and spoken to a officer? They will be the best people to contact. The 1-800 USCIS helpline is a call center and the staff are not employed by USCIS and they are not immigration officers, they can only give you very limited info about your case and most of the time the information they give is wrong.

To talk to an officer at NVC call 1-603-334-0700 then press 1 and then 5 to speak to a officer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for your reply. I called the USCIS again. It turns out the person I had spoken too before didn't know what she was talking about. The other rep said that the case had already been sent to NVC. It was approved in California on 8/3/09 and supposedly sent to NVC the following week. That means it's been only a week since they sent it. He also said that it may take up to 30 days to have an approved I-130 entered into the NVC system.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for your reply. I called the USCIS again. It turns out the person I had spoken too before didn't know what she was talking about. The other rep said that the case had already been sent to NVC. It was approved in California on 8/3/09 and supposedly sent to NVC the following week. That means it's been only a week since they sent it. He also said that it may take up to 30 days to have an approved I-130 entered into the NVC system.

Hi I have a case just like yours, I'd filed for my 14 months daughter, am a USC too. Could you please tell me how long did it took the approval of your child I-130, a month ago I received the 1st NOA and I am waiting for the aproval. Thanks for your help. Sorry for my English...

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Salm 27:1

Husband AOS Timeline

03/01/10 AOS Package sent

03/04/10 Package Received

03/11/10 Money Orders Cashed

03/15/10 NOAS Receipts

03/19/10 NOA Biometrics

03/23/10 I130 Touched

03/30/10 Biometrics Appt@ 8 a.m

03/31/10 I1485&I765 Touched

04/19/10 NOA Interview

05/06/10 I130&I485 Touched

05/07/10 I765 Touched

05/07/10 Email EAD Card production ordered

05/10/10 I765 Touched

05/13/10 I765 Touched

05/13/10 2ND Email EAD Card production ordered

05/24/10 I765 Touched

05/24/10 3RD Email EAD Card Sent

05/25/10 Interview 11:00 a.m @Fresno Ca. APPROVED!!!

05/25/10 I485,I765&I130 Touched

05/25/10 Email Card Production Ordered

4QzLm8.png

vUyxm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've actually seen cases where it took almost 12 weeks for their approved petitions to reach the NVC, so it's not unheard of. Keep calling the NVC on a weekly basis, you can even find out if they received by using the automated phone system.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've actually seen cases where it took almost 12 weeks for their approved petitions to reach the NVC, so it's not unheard of. Keep calling the NVC on a weekly basis, you can even find out if they received by using the automated phone system.

Diana

Thank you Diana for taking the time to answer my question, I hope things can go faster for my baby... :blush:

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Salm 27:1

Husband AOS Timeline

03/01/10 AOS Package sent

03/04/10 Package Received

03/11/10 Money Orders Cashed

03/15/10 NOAS Receipts

03/19/10 NOA Biometrics

03/23/10 I130 Touched

03/30/10 Biometrics Appt@ 8 a.m

03/31/10 I1485&I765 Touched

04/19/10 NOA Interview

05/06/10 I130&I485 Touched

05/07/10 I765 Touched

05/07/10 Email EAD Card production ordered

05/10/10 I765 Touched

05/13/10 I765 Touched

05/13/10 2ND Email EAD Card production ordered

05/24/10 I765 Touched

05/24/10 3RD Email EAD Card Sent

05/25/10 Interview 11:00 a.m @Fresno Ca. APPROVED!!!

05/25/10 I485,I765&I130 Touched

05/25/10 Email Card Production Ordered

4QzLm8.png

vUyxm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.