TdotGirl

Arrested With NO Charges & NO Convictions...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!!!

I was arrested almost 7 years ago due to a domestic disturbance call placed by the neighbours (very loud and long argument - good ol' sibling rivalry). My sibling and I were never charged and we were released unconditionally with no convictions (this will be my explanation on the DS-230, DS-156 and the online DS-160 forms).

We were never finger printed or had our pictures taken, nor did we fill out a police report - but I called the station and the officer I spoke with advised me that although I technically was not arrested (he stated the full procedure of an arrest was not carried out and technically we were just cuffed and detained) to state that I was because they still have the incident in their system - he said, "You definitely don't wanna play around with immigration!"

So to avoid any problems I will be selecting the "yes" box *sighs* :(

I am aware that I require the police clearance certificate (which states that my record is clean), however if there is anyone, who has had a similar situation, who can tell me if I need anything else (other papers/documentation) or if this will cause any delays/problems along the way and/or at the interview, please, please do let me know.

If you can relate I ask you, ever so kindly, to help calm my nerves and ease my mind please, lol.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE :)

Oh and ps...

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS RECEIVED THEIR NOA2 and to those who are still waiting..DON'T WORRY - TIME SERIOUSLY FLIES, SO DON'T STRESS (I'm realizing this now, lol!)!!!

*True Love Has No Boundaries. Well... Except The US Border, Of Course!*

Service Centre: Vermont

Consulate: Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent: 2009-03-05 *Finally!*

I-129F Received: 2009-03-06 *Package officially signed for*

Cheque Cashed: 2009-03-11 *Woohoo!*

I-129F NOA1: Dated- 2009-03-09 *Woohoo!*

I-129F RFE(s): *Prayers were answered!!! NONE!*

I-129F NOA2: Dated- 2009-07-31 *OMG! LOVE IT!!!*

Packet 3 Received: 2009-08-14 FINALLY!!!

Packet 3 Sent: 2009-09-02 *Totally procrastinated..sighs*

Packet 3 Received at Consulate: 2009-09-03 *Thank you, Canada Post*

Packet 4 Received: 2009-10-27

Interview Date: 2009-11-23 *APPROVED!!!*

Visa Received: 2009-12-03 *PRAISE GOD!!!*

US Entry: 2009-12-27 *YAAAY!*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from case filling to K-1 process.

To the OP, you are correct to check yes and to include all of the information. While it may not be evident that they are asking about it at the K-1 level, when you apply for AOS the wording is totally different and includes having been detained, cited, fined or in any way involved with the police. It gets even more detailed at the Removal of Conditions level and at the Citizenship level and the information would have to come out at one of those levels.

I highly doubt it will cause you any problems but make sure you have original records of the disposition of the case. You will need them all along the process.

I was 'stopped' by the RCMP for windsurfing without a lifejacket and had a $10 fine at a court hearing for it. I had to provide the court documents all the way through the process (the ones that say they now have no record of the offense). It did not cause a problem and I was just approved for my citizenship today. The applications along the way though are worded in such a fashion that you will have to disclose the information so you might as well start now so you don't have to explain why you didn't disclose when you get further along the process. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 2 weeks later...

i would be careful on this.first,a conviction and arrest record are 2 differant things.i was in a bar room brawl years ago and they arrested the whole lot of us.we spent 1 night locked up with no criminal charges ever filed.when i had my n-400 interview the inspector showed me an arrest record of the incident(which i totally forgot about over the years)even though my criminal history is spotless my arrest record showed 1 arrest.i had to clear this arrest thru the san francisco district attorneys office and send into uscis.when i filed the k1 visa for my fiance i sent this in also. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.