ambientgirl

I-751 & Police Report

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I've been reading this thread but I haven't come across any of stories of ppl dealing with a Police Report & I-751.

My husband had a police report that we had to include when we did his immigration process. It was actually an offense that happened when he was 17 but his court date for the offense happened while he was 18. (This showed up on Police Report with all dates) His court date was actually the day after his 18th birthday but the offense happened 3 months before his birthday.

It was a fine that he had to pay, no jail time or any major crime - actually it was a fake driving license. In the UK they had paper licenses then and he used his friend.

When we had to go for the interview in London, the immigration officer actually gave him a hard time saying that it happened when he was 18 and wanting him to admit that he was 18 at the time. He kept explaining that he was 17 and not charge with any crime just had to pay the court fees. She still gave him a hard time and we had to have a supervisor come over to review this. Supervisor said no problem.

Now here we are doing our I-751 and they are asking about police reports.

My question is: Does this mean that I have to re-include this police report or are they looking for any police reports/incidents since you have entered the country?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way of handling this. Thank you in advance.

Edited by ambientgirl

The way I read it (I-751 Instructions) - they mean 'ever been arrested' as in at any time (not just since in the US). No age qualification mentioned.

You say this was for a fake DL - was this a traffic violation? (And no arrest?) There is a clause in the instructions for non-alcohol/drug related traffic offenses...

The way I read it (I-751 Instructions) - they mean 'ever been arrested' as in at any time (not just since in the US). No age qualification mentioned.

You say this was for a fake DL - was this a traffic violation? (And no arrest?) There is a clause in the instructions for non-alcohol/drug related traffic offenses...

Yes, I was reading it like that too but I just couldn't figure out why they would want that information again - since they already have it. But, I could see them wanting any updated info. I really don't want to send in the original as its the only one we have and it take forever to get another one from UK. I wonder if I could take the orignial and get it notarized, if that would be ok?

I also see it as a traffic offense but he was arrested and fingerprinted at the time. (probably more to scare him at the time) When it went to court he just had to pay the court fees. They did not put any points on his license. He was not banned from getting his license. It such a stupid thing he did as a teen.

You would not believe the problems we had in London. The woman tried to deny his application because of it and when she couldn't because her supervisor said it was ok, she then tried to say that I never filed my taxes and he was given a blue slip that day. I walked back up to that window and demanded her to look in his file as my taxes where there plus I filed all my taxes at the US Embassy in London as I was living there. It was a horrible experience, but she took back the blue slip and she then took my husbands passport and said ok you can leave now. Wouldn't tell us if we were approved or what. She then put a delay on his paperwork and I had to fight to get his passport back - finally, got it back approved.

I just don't want another episode like that to happen while doing the I-751. So I'm trying to make sure everything is correct. I am going to include a letter explaining his police report and how he was only 17 and has had no other incidents since then. (fingers crossed that will help)

Thank you for your help & listening to my ramble lol

Edited by ambientgirl

Yes, I was reading it like that too but I just couldn't figure out why they would want that information again - since they already have it. But, I could see them wanting any updated info. I really don't want to send in the original as its the only one we have and it take forever to get another one from UK. I wonder if I could take the original and get it notarized, if that would be ok?

Do not send the original of this or any other document - photo copies will do and take the original to the interview, if one is scheduled.

(Notarization of copy not needed - a notary doesn't validate copies, they can only validate signatures.)

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, I believe you need to send a COPY of it as well.

When we filed for LOC, we included a copy of an arrest that he had in the US for a shoplifting offense. We were approved without an interview.

Don't worry much about it. Just a formality.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Yes, I was reading it like that too but I just couldn't figure out why they would want that information again - since they already have it. But, I could see them wanting any updated info. I really don't want to send in the original as its the only one we have and it take forever to get another one from UK. I wonder if I could take the original and get it notarized, if that would be ok?

Do not send the original of this or any other document - photo copies will do and take the original to the interview, if one is scheduled.

(Notarization of copy not needed - a notary doesn't validate copies, they can only validate signatures.)

That's were I was confused cause the directions say to include an original or court certified of the arrest. I'll send the copy and produce original if required at interview.

Quick question : We do not include the fingerprints cards or passport photos as we are not overseas.? That will be done at biometrics, right?

I swear the more you read the directions, the more confused you get. LOL

Thank you again for your quick replies.

Quick question : We do not include the fingerprints cards or passport photos as we are not overseas.? That will be done at biometrics, right? Correct :thumbs:

I swear the more you read the directions, the more confused you get. LOL Can be hair pulling at times... :girlwerewolf2xn:

We're taking our 'package' to the post office today...

Yup the paperwork is confusing, as your right in that they have already seen this report, and are already aware of it for him to be approved for the 2 yr card. I can understand them needing reports since the approval date, but dont understand why you would have to resend the report again. Im not sure of the right answer to your question, personally, if it was me i would presume they meant during the two years, as anything before that they already know about. Regardless, if you do send it in just send the copy and make a note somewhere that it has already been adjudicated, and are merely resending it in.

Yup the paperwork is confusing, as your right in that they have already seen this report, and are already aware of it for him to be approved for the 2 yr card. I can understand them needing reports since the approval date, but dont understand why you would have to resend the report again. Im not sure of the right answer to your question, personally, if it was me i would presume they meant during the two years, as anything before that they already know about. Regardless, if you do send it in just send the copy and make a note somewhere that it has already been adjudicated, and are merely resending it in.

Ya, that just confuses this whole dilemma more. lol

If it was ''ever arrested'' then you have to tick the box 'yes' - if it was within the 2 years then you would tick the box 'no'. I'm just going to have to be safe and answer Yes, and supply the information that they already have. After all, they let him in the country on this stupid incident why would they all of a sudden decide to say NO, and send him home.

Still don't see the logic in them wanting information that they already have.

Just makes you pull out your hair & gives you something else to stress about for months to come. I can not wait till he becomes a citizen, oh joy, that will be more paperwork and money! Haha

thanks again

Yes, I believe you need to send a COPY of it as well.

When we filed for LOC, we included a copy of an arrest that he had in the US for a shoplifting offense. We were approved without an interview.

Don't worry much about it. Just a formality.

Thank you so much. Makes me feel a bit better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.