caybee

Worth trying for an I-551 stamp?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Quick timeline:

August 7th, 2009 - window opens for husband to file to remove conditions (packet is ready and waiting for the window).

August 19th, 2009 - last day school will accept proof (NOA for I-751, or I-551 stamp) that husband will be in status for entire semester (Aug 24th - Dec. 16th) and allow him to register.

November 5th, 2009 - conditional green card will expire.

And here's our situation in a nutshell: My husband was accepted to an associate's degree program to start August 24th of this year, and he registered for his classes. Just yesterday, the staff member at the school who reviewed his permanent residency status called to tell him that because of a new South Carolina law, they cannot accept him as a student unless he can prove that he will be in status for the entire length of the semester (August 24th through December 16th), so they have rescinded his acceptance and deleted his class schedule. His conditional green card expires on November 5th, so he has nothing to prove he will be in status after this time. We explained to her that the window hasn't even opened yet for him to remove conditions, so we can't possibly show her proof of anything now, and she is sympathetic, but all she can offer is to suggest that he get an infopass and try to get an I-551 stamp extending his status at least through December 16. We are all but certain they won't consider giving him the stamp until they at least have the I-751 in their hands.

His I-751 package is essentially ready to mail, and the 90-day window will open on August 7th with the school's proof due no later than August 19th. So our plan is to overnight it on August 6th to be received on the 7th and then hope they will send him the NOA receipt quickly -- the NOA example in VJ's gallery has verbage that extends status by a year, and the staff member at the school said either this or an I-551 stamp would be acceptable if he can show them one or the other on or before August 19th. So this will still be cutting things very close, with less than two weeks to receive the NOA back from USCIS.

We're wondering if it would be worth making an infopass at the office two hours away from us a week or ten days after mailing in the packet (so hopefully it will be in the system even if they haven't sent out the NOA) and asking them for an I-551 stamp just to get him through December 16th (essentially a six-week extension). We would take along a copy of the I-751 packet, our correspondence with the school staff member, and a copy of the new legislation to plead my husband's case.

The tricky thing is that I'm now full term, officially due on August 16th, but my doctors don't expect the baby to wait quite that long, so even planning a two-hour drive for an infopass at this point is difficult. And I know none of this is USCIS's problem and that my husband could go to the infopass without me -- that's probably how it will have to be :) Worst case, we can't meet the deadline for the proof, and my husband will just put things off and start the program in January, but he's been trying so hard to make this work for the last few months, he's done everything right and on time, and to fall between the cracks of a new law designed to thwart illegal immigrants is discouraging.

But that's neither here nor there. Just wondering whether the consensus is that the infopass is worth the trouble or whether the chance of getting the stamp for a six-week extension is just too remote to justify the effort under the circumstances. Thanks for any input or experiences.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I would make the infopass as soon as you can ( after filing ) just in case the NOA shows up late. Remember someitnes the infopass appointments get filled quick

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband was able to get the stamp without a problem at all. Needed for the DMV.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Timeline

Then we'll go for the infopass. Won't hurt to try. Thank you!

I'm the USC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our local college did the same thing to both my wife and daughter. I solved the problem quickly by being agressive. They were trying to push my wife and daughter around so I had to handle it. I went to the school for my wife. I didn't have time so I wrote a letter for my daughter and told her to make them read it.

1.Remember, your problem is not with immigration. Your problem is with the school. They have some cheesy rules that are designed to prevent foreign students from overstaying visas. Some idiot clerk is misreading the rules. Make them print it for you and give you a little time to study it before you go in.

2. You are an American and this man is your husband. He is a "PERMANENT" resident that can only be removed through a lengthy legal process. When his card expires he will be a "PERMANENT" resident with an expired card.

I came at them with the attitude that my daughter would be going to the school, and would not be paying international tuition. I printed out some law about discrimination because of LPR status. In reality, what I had printed applied to the workplace but I knew they wouldn't read it anyway. The intent was to scare them into thinking that they had a bigger problem than they did. I implied that this was an opportunity to solve the problem before the lawyers had to get involved. ( Of course we don't have a lawyer, and wouldn't even consider paying one what this would cost)

When you talk to people begin by asking their name and position. Write it down. It always freaks people out when you write down their name. I think it goes back to elementary school. Always ask them who their boss is. Let them know that they are in for trouble and probably don't want to be the one that said "NO". They might want to shift this reponsibility to their boss. After all, we are talking about violation of federal law and discrimination based on race and residency status.

Don't be scared, make them scared. My daughter gave the letter to the lady who had told her that she couldn't enroll. The lady read the letter, got quiet, made a few phone calls, apologized and enrolled her in the college. That was a year ago. We still don't have the conditions removed but the school never asked for proof again.

Of course, you can see if you can get anything out of an infopass. For us that is a 6 hour drive,one way. I wasn't about to put us through all that just to please some office idiot at the local junior college. It was actually kind of fun. It is what I alwasy wanted to do with USCIS but couldn't.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline

sjoefl01, I appreciate what you wrote. Congratulations on getting everything straightened out for your wife and daughter.

I'm the USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.