irfan

N-400 interview

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Can someone please give their input to the situation below.

A friend of mine applied for his citizenship in december 2008. A month later he was let go from his sales job and was told to return all items they gave him to do his job. When he started the job six months ago they sent him over a dozen boxes with sales materials and a very small size palm computer in one of the boxes. he was not able to go through all the boxes and reported to the company he never received the palm computer. They filed a stolen report for it and sent him a replacement. After he was asked to return all materials he went through all the boxes and found this palm computer. Due to his curiosity he turned it on and connected to the internet to make sure it worked and also called the company and left message that he will return it. That palm computer is of no use other then for his job.

Next morning police showedup at his home and arrested him for possesion of stolen property and filing false report even though he told them he has already called the company and it was an honest mistake. in March he went for his citizenship interview and told them he was arrested. They told him to come back with a disposition on his next date.He told the interviewing officer that his date will be in july for the arrest case for which he had also hired a lawyer so she told him he will get interview letter for a few days after his court date.

last week he got a conditional disposition for both charges below is what it said on the disposition letter:

"Date of Arrest 02-03-2009

Charge: PL-165.40 -AM- 5-Criminal possession of a stolen property

PL-240.50-30 -AM- 3-False Report Incident

Reduced: PL-240.20-07 -V- Dis/Con: Creating Dangerous 07/17/2009

Date: 07/17/2009

Disposition: PG

Sentence: 07/17/2009 Conditional Discharge and Fine, Fine: $100, Paid: Y, Man-Sur: $95, Cust/Time: 1y

Case Sealed"

He showed the immigration officer the letters he got from privious employer from whom he bought a laptop and also the car he purchased from them. he also got 4 or 5 letters of good moral character from his friends and co workers.

The officer kept the disposition copy and told him she will forward this case to a supervisor and he will get the result in mail.

He is a bit worried about what will thay do. Anybody with this situation please give us your input as different lawyers tell him different things like he will be ok or he will be denied for 5 years to apply for citizenship. Thanks in Advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Weird story, "he never received the palm computer. They filed a stolen report for it and sent him a replacement". He notifies the company he found it and is arrested for that?

His company would have had to file a complaint against him and wouldn't even stand up in any court of law, since it was lost and recovered with a promise to return it. Why didn't his former employer drop the charges? And why is he justifying to his IO that he purchase a vehicle and a notebook from that employer?

Typically most companies I know of consider a palm computer expendable, the whole story sounds far fetched. Something is missing here, and sounds like your friend is trying to hide something. Anyone would be suspicious of that behavior.

Can someone please give their input to the situation below.

A friend of mine applied for his citizenship in december 2008. A month later he was let go from his sales job and was told to return all items they gave him to do his job. When he started the job six months ago they sent him over a dozen boxes with sales materials and a very small size palm computer in one of the boxes. he was not able to go through all the boxes and reported to the company he never received the palm computer. They filed a stolen report for it and sent him a replacement. After he was asked to return all materials he went through all the boxes and found this palm computer. Due to his curiosity he turned it on and connected to the internet to make sure it worked and also called the company and left message that he will return it. That palm computer is of no use other then for his job.

Next morning police showedup at his home and arrested him for possesion of stolen property and filing false report even though he told them he has already called the company and it was an honest mistake. in March he went for his citizenship interview and told them he was arrested. They told him to come back with a disposition on his next date.He told the interviewing officer that his date will be in july for the arrest case for which he had also hired a lawyer so she told him he will get interview letter for a few days after his court date.

last week he got a conditional disposition for both charges below is what it said on the disposition letter:

"Date of Arrest 02-03-2009

Charge: PL-165.40 -AM- 5-Criminal possession of a stolen property

PL-240.50-30 -AM- 3-False Report Incident

Reduced: PL-240.20-07 -V- Dis/Con: Creating Dangerous 07/17/2009

Date: 07/17/2009

Disposition: PG

Sentence: 07/17/2009 Conditional Discharge and Fine, Fine: $100, Paid: Y, Man-Sur: $95, Cust/Time: 1y

Case Sealed"

He showed the immigration officer the letters he got from privious employer from whom he bought a laptop and also the car he purchased from them. he also got 4 or 5 letters of good moral character from his friends and co workers.

The officer kept the disposition copy and told him she will forward this case to a supervisor and he will get the result in mail.

He is a bit worried about what will thay do. Anybody with this situation please give us your input as different lawyers tell him different things like he will be ok or he will be denied for 5 years to apply for citizenship. Thanks in Advance.

I agree with NickD, something isn't right with your friend's story. Why would he confidently report the palm computer stolen to the company when he wasn't really able to go through all the boxes the time he received the materials? That's not an excuse.

It's up to the reviewing officers now..

Edited by mobama94

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How can you be accused of stealing something that was given to you? And if he didn't find it in the box, why did the company send a replacement then report that item as being stolen? Why did this guy pay the fine, that would have been a time to clear the matter up and even hire an attorney, now it's part of his record. Still time to hire and attorney and have those charges dismissed and have this fine returned. Whole story seems crazy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
How can you be accused of stealing something that was given to you? And if he didn't find it in the box, why did the company send a replacement then report that item as being stolen? Why did this guy pay the fine, that would have been a time to clear the matter up and even hire an attorney, now it's part of his record. Still time to hire and attorney and have those charges dismissed and have this fine returned. Whole story seems crazy.

Definitely something fishy. Especially since they accused the guy of filing a false report, when it was actually the company that filed the report?! :unsure:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.