Dylan&Douglas

Anyone similar experience with Social Security Number

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings to all,

Doug here. Well Dylan and I couldn't be any happier.....things are going great...just issues with the paperwork and AOS stuff. So Dylan entered this country on Jun 30th via Chicago. We married without problem here in the US on July 7th. We applied for a social security number on July 9th. At that time we were told she was not showing up in the system yet..and that it normally takes two weeks.....( she had only been in the country for 8 days at that point ) ..so we should have her social mailed to us in about a month.

We stopped by today to check on the status ...( at the local social security office ) .and they can't verify her in the system still as of yet. Now today the lady said...we usually tell people it may take two weeks to show up...but it actually can take 30-45 days. I can't really complain cuz Dylan is here with me..but you guys know you REALLY need a SSN here for just about anything. They agreed to put her on my medical insurance today without one..but said they need it asap.

Also just a funny story to add........ one time i decided to call the number they gave us on a piece of paper from the Social Security office..to try and check the status that way. Our paper has a reference number that you need to use for security purposes. One worker there told us to just call and use that number and we could check the status no problem........... however I got a girl there on the phone that kept insisting that I giver her Dylan's social security number to get any information. I actually had to say to her.. " listen to what your telling me...and tell me yourself if it makes sense..my wife is TRYING to get a social security number..yet you keep telling me I must give you her social security number in order to find out if she's getting a social security number.........

As always Godspeed to those on this journey......

Ahhhhhhhh gotta love working with government offices...

Douglas

August 21, 2008: I-129F sent

August 30, 2008: NOA1

February 02, 2009: NOA2

March 2-3, 2009: Medical at St. Luke's

March 19, 2009: interview US Embassy- Manila

March 24, 2009: Visa received

April 02, 2009: CFO at PRISM

June 30, 2009: Dylan & Douglas enter USA together POE Chicago

July 3, 2009: applied for marriage license

July 7, 2009: got Married and received marriage certificate

July 28, 2009: SSN received

AOS

August 19, 2009: AOS sent

August 25, 2009: NOA (AP,EAD,AOS)

August 31, 2009: received Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD (dated Aug.27,2009)

Sept.18, 2009: Case transferred to CSC

Sept.24, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Sept.28,2009: EAD & AP Approval

Oct. 5,2009: received EAD card & AP (mail)

Nov.5,2009: AOS approved( 72days from NOA)

Nov. 13, 2009: GC received(mail)

Removing Conditions I-751

Sept. 20,2011: Sent I-751 Petition to remove conditions

June 2012: 10 year GC approved

N400 Naturalization

August 16,2012 : Sent N400

August 31, 2012 : early Biometrics

Isn't our government wonderful??

PnS

Greetings to all,

Doug here. Well Dylan and I couldn't be any happier.....things are going great...just issues with the paperwork and AOS stuff. So Dylan entered this country on Jun 30th via Chicago. We married without problem here in the US on July 7th. We applied for a social security number on July 9th. At that time we were told she was not showing up in the system yet..and that it normally takes two weeks.....( she had only been in the country for 8 days at that point ) ..so we should have her social mailed to us in about a month.

We stopped by today to check on the status ...( at the local social security office ) .and they can't verify her in the system still as of yet. Now today the lady said...we usually tell people it may take two weeks to show up...but it actually can take 30-45 days. I can't really complain cuz Dylan is here with me..but you guys know you REALLY need a SSN here for just about anything. They agreed to put her on my medical insurance today without one..but said they need it asap.

Also just a funny story to add........ one time i decided to call the number they gave us on a piece of paper from the Social Security office..to try and check the status that way. Our paper has a reference number that you need to use for security purposes. One worker there told us to just call and use that number and we could check the status no problem........... however I got a girl there on the phone that kept insisting that I giver her Dylan's social security number to get any information. I actually had to say to her.. " listen to what your telling me...and tell me yourself if it makes sense..my wife is TRYING to get a social security number..yet you keep telling me I must give you her social security number in order to find out if she's getting a social security number.........

Douglas

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Eunice arrived Oct 28, we were married Nov 1

First applied for SSN Dec 21, first they said her passport was expired, no that was the expiration date of the K-1 visa for her to enter the country, which she did before it expired. Could not tell the difference between a visa and a passport.

Checked back 2 weeks later was told they forgot to make copies of the paperwork, they made copies.

Checked back 2 weeks later they said her I-94 was expired, applied long before it expired.

Went back with her EAD and Green Card 5 weeks ago still no SSN,

Beauracracy at it's finest.

Dec 21 to today July 21 7 months does not two weeks make.

Timeline

First applied for SSN Dec 21, first they said her passport was expired, no that was the expiration date of the K-1 visa for her to enter the country, which she did before it expired. Could not tell the difference between a visa and a passport.

Checked back 2 weeks later was told they forgot to make copies of the paperwork, they made copies.

Checked back 2 weeks later they said her I-94 was expired, applied long before it expired.

Craneman...sorry to hear of this misfortune...I truly something will give and move in your favor and direction very soon.

AOS

August 31, 2009: received Biometrics appointment for AOS & EAD (dated Aug.27,2009)

N400 Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Greetings to all,

Douglas

There is no way you can contact SS Office or in case you are lucky enough to speak to an officer, expect she/he would not know what actually is the subject you are talking about.

I've been dealing with SS Officers for two months now coz I have issue too. Unfortunately, no feedback from them. Next thing I know my I-94 already expired.

God bless to everybody :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Isn't our government wonderful??

PnS

Greetings to all,

Douglas

Timeline

I applied for my SSN number a month after I arrived. Then, they mailed my SSN number not more than a week after I applied.

When I applied for my SSN number, I was told to go back with my marriage certificate so that they could change my name on it.

Thats it. So now, I am just waiting for my wedding day. Then, after I get my marriage certificate, I will send my AOS papers.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Timeline

we applied for my ssn last june 17 using my married name. they told us that it will take 3 months since they still have to verify the information in DHS. Today,which is July 22, i received a mail from SSA that i will be able to receive my SSN within two weeks :)

Filed: Timeline

This situation just makes me mad though it never happened to me when I applied for my SSN but I experience the same thing with the DMV. :angry:

sorry about your trouble getting her SSN. on my experience, i arrived here May23, '08, married June 1, applied SSN june 2, got the card 2 weeks or less after.

when i went to apply for my SSN i brought with me my visa and passport (with the I-94) , MC, and BC (just in case) and a copy the website that i am eligible to apply for SSN with the visa (K1) im holding (just being prepared..hehehe)

Timeline
we applied for my ssn last june 17 using my married name. they told us that it will take 3 months since they still have to verify the information in DHS. Today,which is July 22, i received a mail from SSA that i will be able to receive my SSN within two weeks :)

when did u arrive here mhaze?

AOS

N400 Naturalization

Timeline

when did u arrive here mhaze?

i got here just last May 02, 09..got married last May 28. I thought we are going to have a problem with the SSA since it took us a long time to process it.

I arrived here in the US January 18,2009.

Applied SSN using maiden name January 27,The lady told me to just come back after we got married and bring MC to change it to married name.

Received SSN Feb.11,2009

Got married Feb.27,2009.Went back to SSA March 4 to changed to married name.

Got SSN card in married name March 13,2009

N-400 Naturalization

04/25/2012 - sent N-400 package to USCIS Dallas

04/28/2012 - package delivered at USCIS Dallas

I-751 Removal of Condition

03/22/2011 - sent I-751 package to USCIS Vermont via USPS Priority+Certified mail with Return receipt

03/24/2011 - package delivered at VSC according to USPS tracking

03/25/2011 - package received by Center Director according to Return receipt

04/04/2011 - NOA received - dated 03/25/2011

04/11/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice received -notice date 04/08/2011

04/28/2011 - Biometrics Appointment - Done!

10/14/2011 - Card Production Email

10/17/2011 - Approval Notice received - dated 10/06/2011

11/04/2011 - 10yrs green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.