Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

When Should I Change My Last Name

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland


I am a female immigrant married to a male US citizen and we are both living here in the US. We got married in June and we're waiting for all the paperwork to be processed for my AOS.

All of that paperwork went in under my given name, as I had no ID (other than my marriage cert) at that time with my new last name (my husband's last name). Since then, I got my new driving license with my new last name, and a couple of bank cards changed to it.

But for the Social Security Card, I read in various places that I should wait until I have my AOS, ie, I am a permanent resident, before I change my name with the SSA. However, I assume my EAD will be under my maiden name (as I filled out the paperwork that way), as would my PR stamp in my passport, as my passport is under my maiden name.

When can I change my name? I really, really, want to change it officially. Could I use my EAD with my old last name (whenever it arrives!) and then go ahead and get the Irish Embassy to send me a new passport with my new name, and then bring that to get my PR stamp? And at that point change my social security card and so on, and from that point operate under my new last name. Or, could I leave my passport as is, then use it with the PR stamp under my old name, and then a social security card with my new last name in conjunction with my marriage cert linking the two together??? And then, a friend recently freaked me out by telling me that the Social Security Administration has a finite window of time in which you must change your name, does anyone know when that is???

:unsure: I am so confused on what course of action to take, as everytime I decided to take an approach, I remember something else that contradicts it. What is the timeline that female immigrants take on changing their name??

Please help!! Thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam

In a lot of cases your marriage certificate is the legal name change. No other forms need to be filed. So you are officially Lizzy Yourmarriedname. Use it freely.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318


PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

RM 00203.210 C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name:

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change, e.g., marriage, which occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the number holder’s legal name.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data:


No time limit on changing your name. Just need to provide the required documentation.

If you only want to correct your SSN record you can probably do that now. Just will not be issued a card until you proof of employment authorization.

RM 00203.510 D4 Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change, e.g., a name change.

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN:


Once your SSN record has been corrected, you can request an SSN Verification Printout, which will provide you with proof of your SSN and the name that currently appears on the record until you are eligible to be issued an SSN card.

If you have an SSN card DO NOT DO NOT let them have the old card until you are issued a new one.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...