New Beginnings

Translating Docs here in the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey, I'm trying to find places (that aren't all that expensive) who can do translations here in the US. We need my husband's drivers license from Morocco translated into english and everywhere that I call only provides services to businesses or they want to charge $150.00 for his license to be translated.

Any advice??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unfortunately that's about the going rate. We had 3 documents translated here (Washington DC) and it cost $125 - they were 2 birth certificates (very very minimal writing) and our civil marriage certificate - again very little writing. Translators charge by the word - the longer the document the more expensive. If you can - get it translated in Morocco - cheaper to have someone there translate and mail it to you then to pay over $100 to have it done in the US.

can I ask why you need the DL translated?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

In MN you can drive within the first 60 days of arriving on the license from the country you came from. So while we wait for his SSN this will allow him to drive for the next 25 or so days.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

For anyone reading this who's SO hasn't come to the US yet, I highly recommend that they get an International Driver's license BEFORE they come here. Much cheaper than this $150 translation fee... and good for a year... although each state has it's own time limit on how long they will allow someone to drive on an International license before requiring they get a regular license. (Of course how would the traffic cop know when he arrived in the USA is he didn't have his passport with him....) ;)

USCIS allows people to do their own translations of legal documents, as long as the translator put the "magic words" on the document.

Not sure about a DMV in MN... do they have a list of requirements for the translator?

Timeline
For anyone reading this who's SO hasn't come to the US yet, I highly recommend that they get an International Driver's license BEFORE they come here. Much cheaper than this $150 translation fee... and good for a year... although each state has it's own time limit on how long they will allow someone to drive on an International license before requiring they get a regular license. (Of course how would the traffic cop know when he arrived in the USA is he didn't have his passport with him....) ;)

USCIS allows people to do their own translations of legal documents, as long as the translator put the "magic words" on the document.

Not sure about a DMV in MN... do they have a list of requirements for the translator?

They do have specific requirements. Actually the translation we have from Morocco is not sufficient here. The requirements are that they be certified by the courts in MN to do translation, be a lawyer in MN, be accredited by the ATA (american translation association) and a few other requirements. They actually have a form that needs to be completed too. I was pretty shocked that the translations that were used for the visa process that were accepted by all levels of government weren't accepted by the DMV... but I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked since it is a DMV ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow that really sucks, can he go and take his MN drivers test and avoid the hassle?

I know in WI my husband drove for a year on his Moroccan license, no translations needed. He even got pulled over once, ticketed, we appealed and it was fine - the police just didn't know what to do (po-dunk WI town...)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

That might be a good idea. Because he has the license so he should be fine. If he got pulled over we could just appeal it.

We are waiting for his SSN to apply for the license. we should have that soon. Hopefully

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think his license is in Arabic and French, right? Usually Moroccan documents are in both languages. So you don't need to find an Arabic translator, just a French one. That might be easier to find.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.