:star:Check it out and tell me what you think. :thumbs:

Arab-Americans Well-Educated, Diverse, & Highly Entrepreneurial
Over 4 Million Americans Trace Ancestry to Arab Countries
The most affluent and fastest growing segment of the US population

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I can't open the link for whatever reason.....BUT gotta say....us Arab's are pretty awesome, hee hee :dance:

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The vast majority of Arab-Americans are citizens of the United States....Census data show that 82 percent of Arab-Americans are U.S. citizens

What am I missing here? Don't you have to be a USC to be considered a _______-American?

Anyway, good info. I was surprised that almost half of Arabs in the U.S. are Catholic.

Timeline
The vast majority of Arab-Americans are citizens of the United States....Census data show that 82 percent of Arab-Americans are U.S. citizens

What am I missing here? Don't you have to be a USC to be considered a _______-American?

Anyway, good info. I was surprised that almost half of Arabs in the U.S. are Catholic.

Finally able to open the link at work....

Jenn, good question. How can you be Arab-American if you aren't a USC? I think it will suprise others too that most Arabs in the U.S. are Christian. Also most are from Lebanon and Syria.

I was really suprised that over half of Arab-American's believe in pro-life and stronger gun control. Guess ya learn something new everyday....thanks for sharing, Olivia.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Timeline

During the immigration rush of the early 1900's there were a lot of Arabs that were coming into the US particularly from Syria/Lebanon and that area which was considered Eastern Europe at the time.

In 1921, Congress enacted a law limiting annual immigration to the US to 350,000 people per year. Each year, European nations could send to the US a number equal to 3 percent of its nationals who were in the US in the year 1910. In 1924, Congress amended the immigration law and reduced the number of immigrants to 150,000, and the quota to 2 percent, and the base year to 1890. This law favored immigration from nations like Great Britain, but discriminated against central and eastern European nations like Poland, Russia and Syria.

There was a big build up of immigrants from that part of the world, but then it was virtually shut off until the immigration system was reworked in the 60's and 70's.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Yeah it made me wonder too but maybe they are differentiating between those that immigrate and are in the process of naturalization versus being born in the USA, and being naturalized.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
I was really suprised that over half of Arab-American's believe in pro-life and stronger gun control. Guess ya learn something new everyday....thanks for sharing, Olivia.

I think that has to do with the majority of the Christian ones being Catholic though I am not sure about the guns.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Very cool info...

Yes, in the neigborhood i live in now, most of the Arabs are either Jewish or Christian from Syria & Egypt...

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Where I live it's Dearborn....I wanna say the majority are Muslims from all over the ME.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

There are arabs in my son's cemetary that died in Florida in the late 1800s. There are also moroccans that came through Ellis Island. They even say the melungeons of Tennessee are of Turkish /Syrian decent.. There have been arabs here for many many years.. Its only recently that mass amounts of muslim arabs have started immigrating. Before it was more christian arabs and a smattering of muslims

During the immigration rush of the early 1900's there were a lot of Arabs that were coming into the US particularly from Syria/Lebanon and that area which was considered Eastern Europe at the time.

In 1921, Congress enacted a law limiting annual immigration to the US to 350,000 people per year. Each year, European nations could send to the US a number equal to 3 percent of its nationals who were in the US in the year 1910. In 1924, Congress amended the immigration law and reduced the number of immigrants to 150,000, and the quota to 2 percent, and the base year to 1890. This law favored immigration from nations like Great Britain, but discriminated against central and eastern European nations like Poland, Russia and Syria.

There was a big build up of immigrants from that part of the world, but then it was virtually shut off until the immigration system was reworked in the 60's and 70's.

There are alot of syrian arabs buried in my town who settled here in the 1800s and their tombstones are in arabic.. beautiful arabic script. Some even have muslim last names with american first names... interesting

Filed: Timeline

Ottoman Immigrants’ Census

According to an Ellis Island museum document, 212,825 immigrants from the Ottoman Empire passed through Ellis Island into the United States from January 1892 to June 1897 and from 1901 to 1931.

Barry Moreno, a historian at the immigration museum, said that most of the early Arab immigrants to the United States came from the Greater Syria region of the empire, which covered what is present-day Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and what is now the Israeli-occupied West Bank. He said most were Arab Christians, who felt targeted for discrimination by the Ottoman authorities.

Once they arrived in the United States, the tens of thousands of Arab immigrants found themselves in the same tumultuous circumstances as immigrants from other countries. Immigration inspectors verified the physical and mental health of the new immigrants and registered their entry into the United States. Those who failed initial screening were put back on boats to return to their native countries.

Arabs, Mostly Christian, Mostly Talented

Describing the immigrants from the Arab world, immigration historian Moreno said, "Just like the other immigrants, they were highly talented. The children were suddenly living in towns surrounded by Italians, Poles, Jews and other immigrant families and American families." The museum contains photos of Arab immigrants wrapped in flowing burnooses and turbans as they arrived at the immigration center.

Najeeb Arbeely was an early employee at the Ellis Island immigration station, providing interpreting and translation in Arabic and French, according to Moreno. Arbeely arrived in the United States with his family in 1874 and lived briefly in Tennessee before returning to New York City and launching a long career in the immigration service, where he eventually rose to the rank of inspector. American missionaries played an important role in stimulating the Arab Christian migration to the United States.

While Ottoman authorities prohibited proselytizing among Muslims, they did allow missionaries to proselytize among Middle Eastern Christians, he said. With Christians accounting for as much as 50 percent of the population in parts of Greater Syria, Moreno noted, there was a large pool of people for missionaries to work with.

From Foreign Students to Americans

Christian missionaries established institutions of learning in the Middle East that still attract students in the Middle East today, Moreno said. American Presbyterian missionaries established American Universities in Beirut and Cairo and offered scholarships to young Arab Christians to study at universities in the United States.

"That was hard to resist. That's actually how my grandfather came to the United States in the 1930's -- to study," said Moreno, whose mother is the daughter of Coptic Christians from Egypt and whose father is an immigrant from Cuba.

Steamship Marketing in the Hills of Lebanon

Steamship companies took advantage of the wave of immigrants from the Mediterranean region to the United States by going to Christian villages and towns in Greater Syria and advertising in Arabic, Moreno said. The early immigrants writing home about life and work in the United States created a chain reaction that stimulated immigration, Moreno said. "As people wrote home letters in Arabic, talking about their adventures in the States and encouraging villagers and other people to come over and earn the larges wages that were available here, more and more people came," he said.

The museum's American Family Immigration History Center has records about Arab and other immigrants, including oral histories, passenger lists, and other official documents. The museum staff has taped interviews with immigrants from Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Tunisia. In those interviews, the immigrants speak of their stay on Ellis Island, their voyage to America, life in their countries of origin, and their assimilation into American society.

The Doors Shut, and Reopen

The first wave of Arab immigration to the United States ended in 1924 with the passage of the National Origins Act, which set strict quotas on non-European immigration to the United States.

Since the repeal of the National Origins Act in 1965, hundreds of thousands of Arab immigrants have come to the United States, most of them Muslim, Moreno said. This second wave of Arab immigration has come mainly from Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Tunisia, Libya, Saudi Arabia, and the Palestinian areas, he said.

Many of these recent immigrants from the Arab world are highly educated people -- writers, doctors, scientists -- who often are employed in universities, Moreno said. Others, without these skills, drive taxis or sell coffee and newspapers on the sidewalks of New York City.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I can't open the link for whatever reason.....BUT gotta say....us Arab's are pretty awesome, hee hee :dance:

Yes, we are :D

No surprise that most Arabs in America are Catholic. I was married to a Lebanese Catholic, worked for former U.S. Senators James Abourezk, and watched a Lebanese American actor named Amos Alphonsus Muzyad Yakhoob (aka Danny Thomas) on his hit show "Make Room for Daddy". Perpetual presidential candidate Ralph Nader is a Lebanese American. Arab Christians and Muslims have made an indelible mark on the fabric of this country.

Edited by Sofiyya

Yes, we are :D

No surprise that most Arabs in America are Catholic. I was married to a Lebanese Catholic, worked for former U.S. Senators James Abourezk, and watched a Lebanese American actor named Amos Alphonsus Muzyad Yakhoob (aka Danny Thomas) on his hit show "Make Room for Daddy". Perpetual presidential candidate Ralph Nader is a Lebanese American. Arab Christians and Muslims have made an indelible mark on the fabric of this country.

nice list, but they forgot alaa abdelnaby, the first egyptian-american nba player. he played for portland, and i got his and couple of other blazers' autographs when i was a little kid :)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.