3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,

thanks a lot to everybody who shared with me their experience through all of these visa processing :) Finally i got my k-1 visa and entered the U.S on 26th of May :dance: . however here's some problem again :(july and 20th of

Me and my fiance for some reason decided to get married in certain date. And we're looking for dates between 20th of august. Because my i-194 expires on 24 th of August. And there's one little thing called AOS after we get married. And we'll have to file for it before this 90 days.

1. Is it still okay if we file for it after we get married like in September?

2. do we have to apply for it till 24th of august my i-194 expiration date?

thanks a lot :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The critical part of the K-1 visa is that you need to get married before the I-94 expires. You are cutting it very close with your marriage just a few days before its expiry, but you are meeting the necessary condition.

You do need to file for AOS after you get married - it isn't one little thing, it is a very big thing - AOS is your permission to remain in the US. Without that permission you are not allowed to live in the US. You want to file AOS as soon as you can, as once the I-94 expires you are out of status in the US until you do file the AOS. Ideally you want to file AOS before you go out of status but a few days or a month out of status are probably not going to cause you problems. I don't see how it would be possible for you to file for AOS before your I-94 expires as you will need to have your State issued marriage certificate to include with the application and that sometimes takes a week or two to arrive. So, yes, you can file after the I-94 expires but you and your husband need to know that between the time the I-94 expires and your AOS application is accepted by USCIS you have absolutely no rights in the US and are vulnerable to action by USCIS or ICE if you come to their attention.

I don't mean to worry you or frighten you, I just want you to realize how important filing the AOS is so that you don't end up in difficulties. Go over the application now and gather together what you can so that you are able to file as soon as you have the marriage certificate.

Moved to AOS forum.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline
The critical part of the K-1 visa is that you need to get married before the I-94 expires. You are cutting it very close with your marriage just a few days before its expiry, but you are meeting the necessary condition.

You do need to file for AOS after you get married - it isn't one little thing, it is a very big thing - AOS is your permission to remain in the US. Without that permission you are not allowed to live in the US. You want to file AOS as soon as you can, as once the I-94 expires you are out of status in the US until you do file the AOS. Ideally you want to file AOS before you go out of status but a few days or a month out of status areProxy-Connection: keep-alive

Cache-Control: max-age=0

robably not going to cause you problems. I don't see how it would be possible for you to file for AOS before your I-94 expires as you will need to have your State issued marriage certificate to include with the application and that sometimes takes a week or two to arrive. So, yes, you can file after the I-94 expires but you and your husband need to know that between the time the I-94 expires and your AOS application is accepted by USCIS you have absolutely no rights in the US and are vulnerable to action by USCIS or ICE if you come to their attention.

I don't mean to worry you or frighten you, I just want you to realize how important filing the AOS is so that you don't end up in difficulties. Go over the application now and gather together what you can so that you are able to file as soon as you have the marriage certificate.

Moved to AOS forum.

thanks :) does anybody know where i can get phone information about AOS?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.