swirly

K3 - waiting for green card

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi, all.

First of all, I'd just like to thank everybody who replies for their help. :)

My question is this:

My mom is in the US right now on a K3 visa and has been married to my dad, who lives and works mostly away from the US, for almost 30 years. We do realize other paths might have been faster/simpler, but they went with the K3 and now that's what's happening. She's been in the US for a few weeks now and we've filed for the AoS...the question is, does she have to stay here to receive the appointment for the green card interview and if not, will there be any problem returning from her home country, as in, with the I-94 being taken away and not given back on entry?

Also, do y'all have some kind of idea of how long it'll take between filing for the adjustment of status and getting the green card interview? If it's not more than a month or two, it would probably be best for her to just stay here, but if it's 4 or 5 months, she would probably rather go back to my dad in the meantime.

Thanks again.

No she doesn't have to wait (but what happens if she is gone if it comes in when she is gone? Will she be able to return to make the appointment?).

K-3 is a multiple entry visa (good for 2 years) - should have the expiration date on it.

Times vary from AOS to interview, so I couldn't hazard a guess.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks, Bobby, for the quick reply. :thumbs:

So that's two questions resolved; she doesn't need to be here to receive the green card interview appointment and there shouldn't be any hassle on coming and going back within the next few months (the K-3's till mid-2011). Plus, I'm assuming they give a buffer of at least a few weeks before the interview date? All she'd have to do is get on a flight back...no visa hassles this time.

I guess we just need to see how long it'll take till we get the interview...two return tickets between US-Pakistan would be sort of costly. :wacko:

Your Mom will need to go to a biometrics appointment too. This normally happens about 30 days after the AOS is received, but varies of course.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.