Hunnybaby

USC petitioning Step daughter

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband(USC) wants to file petition to my child (6 yrs. old, his step daughter). She was included on the 129F but I guess it has already expired the 6mos allowance to follow to join. Now my husband wants to do it soon after my AOS interview. I learned that he can file I-130 form.

Does anyone here filed the same? What are the necessary documents we will need to forward? What if the name of the father is not on her birth certificate and we don't know where he is now? My child doesn't know who her father is... How will we get a notarized consent from the father? I've read somewhere that we will need this consent.

Will they allow my 6yrs old child accompanied by someone during her interview to explain the situation if she will be given a chance to get an interview?

Any opinion will be highly appreciated. Thanks....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think follow to join is a year from your interview, I hope someone with more knowledge pops in............

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

My husband(USC) wants to file petition to my child (6 yrs. old, his step daughter). She was included on the 129F but I guess it has already expired the 6mos allowance to follow to join. Now my husband wants to do it soon after my AOS interview. I learned that he can file I-130 form.

Does anyone here filed the same? What are the necessary documents we will need to forward? What if the name of the father is not on her birth certificate and we don't know where he is now? My child doesn't know who her father is... How will we get a notarized consent from the father? I've read somewhere that we will need this consent.

Will they allow my 6yrs old child accompanied by someone during her interview to explain the situation if she will be given a chance to get an interview?

Any opinion will be highly appreciated. Thanks....

a K-2 Visa must be issued within one year from the issue date of the K-1. since your K-1 was issued 12-01-2008, you should still have time to apply for a K-2 for the child. you'll need to contact the Embassy to set up an interview.

the birth certificate with no father listed should be no problem. we had the same situation.

a guardian will be able to accompany your child to the medical and interview.

best of luck :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

applying for a K-2 is basically the same as K-1. you do not need to submit the form DS-156k

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwfk1en.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I knew if she posted here she would get excellent information. Sunandmoon thanks for the info to the OP

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses....

SunandMoon... Can you give me exact details you did before when you filed your follow to join k2 visa for your child?

Please please... I would really appreciate if you can give me all the details including step by step process you did.

Thanks in advance! :star:

actually, our daughter came at the same time as her mom. we did not use follow to join. the important thing to remember is the K-2 has to be issued within one year, not just an interview scheduled. as I mentioned before, the application process for the visa is almost the same as for a k-1. I'd contact the Embassy to see what you need to do to schedule an interview.

perhaps you can start a new thread, K-2, follow to join. I'm sure there are some members in the forum who recently used follow to join at the Embassy in Manila.

Timeline

Okidoki... Thanks for the advice...

Really appreciate it! will post a new thread now :star:

actually, our daughter came at the same time as her mom. we did not use follow to join. the important thing to remember is the K-2 has to be issued within one year, not just an interview scheduled. as I mentioned before, the application process for the visa is almost the same as for a k-1. I'd contact the Embassy to see what you need to do to schedule an interview.

perhaps you can start a new thread, K-2, follow to join. I'm sure there are some members in the forum who recently used follow to join at the Embassy in Manila.

Hi, I'm getting information too about that following- to-join for children. Honestly, I am having severe headache reading about that issue. I think you can do that to get your child from Philippines. This the the article about that:

"important: This section is only applicable to lawful permanent resident who dis not gain LPR status as the immediate of a U.S. citizen.

If you had children before you became a LPR, and your children did not physically accompany you to the US, and you would now like your children to join you in the US, your children may be eligible for following-to-join benefits.This means that you do NOT have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition fot Alien Relative, for your children, and your children will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you can simply NOTIFY a U.S. consulate(Philippines) that you are a LPR so that your children can apply for IMMIGRANT VISA. IF, however, you immigrated to the US as an immediate relative of a US citizen who did not or could not petition for your children, you will need to file a separate I-130,Petition for Alien Relative.

Take note of this Kababayan: : your children may be eligible for Following-to-join benifits if; **you immigrated on the basis of a FIANCE(e) petition.***

YOU need to contact the US embassy in Manila. and register your daughter as a following-to-join*** Get the website of US embassy in Manila and click"SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS then click the Following-to-join"...GOOD LUCK! but let me know what's going on about your status...

Edited by filamrogers

yes its true,we have the same situation about the k2 and the my daughter she dont have father listed on her b.c so she's on my custody,the best u can do is call the us embassy in manila to make an appointment for her interview,when ur visa issued?if ur visa issued last year u k2 is still eligible..just call in embassy and ask about ur k2 visa and if ur child is still eligible for k2 call in us embassy manila to get interview date..a guardian will be able to accompany ur child to the medical and interview,if ur child doesnt have passport yet u need to get a special power of atty in near phil consul in ur state,.my daughter will have her interview on july 23.she a k2 also..

Timeline

Hi There!

I did call the 1-888 number and I was told that in their system it says my daughter had her interview with me already when in fact I had mine last Nov. 24, '09 alone... So the operator said she will send a letter to immigration department about it and I should hear reply from embassy in 2 weeks, if not I will call them again to follow up. I also sent copies of her documents to embassy with letter of request for her interview.

My daughter has her passport already we just decided to send her here in the US at a later time, you know to get to know more each other but then since I got pregnant my hubby thought that we should get her here sooner than we planned.

Anyway, I'll update you guys whatever results we will get from embassy.

Thanks and goodluck to your daughter... hmmmm.. I wonder, will they allow one companion inside the embassy and sLEC?

yes its true,we have the same situation about the k2 and the my daughter she dont have father listed on her b.c so she's on my custody,the best u can do is call the us embassy in manila to make an appointment for her interview,when ur visa issued?if ur visa issued last year u k2 is still eligible..just call in embassy and ask about ur k2 visa and if ur child is still eligible for k2 call in us embassy manila to get interview date..a guardian will be able to accompany ur child to the medical and interview,if ur child doesnt have passport yet u need to get a special power of atty in near phil consul in ur state,.my daughter will have her interview on july 23.she a k2 also..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.