Miranda1977

I need your advice, ASAP

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody, i always use this forum and it's of great help. I have one more question. In Feb. I asked about to go back to the States, so I couldn't my mom was badly sick I couldn't leave her. So, now I bought the ticket and scared to be stopped at the airport, i will show them the hospital statements of my mom's heavy condition. But still, I am going to my friend now, my fiancee dumped me because he didnot want to wait for me, that's life, so my friend is going to accomodate me, but it scares me again, I need to find the job, evaluate my diploma and take a rental, I don't know if I survive by myself? Just don't know what to do.

Need more information.

What visa did you enter the US on?

When did you enter the US?

What is your current status?

If your question is about leaving the country - no issues, they only care about incoming people, not ones leaving.

I cannot give any other advice, since you didn't provide enough info, However, if you entered on a K-1, you have to go home, since you did not marry the petitioner, your friend cannot keep you here.

So if that is the case, your only option is to return home.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I have the GC for 10 years, i had been in the states for 2.5 years waiting, i had the petition on domestic violence and abuse. But I am out of states for about almost a year, but i don't have a stamp in my passport when I left the Unites States.

Out the states for 1 year on a GC? Did you get a waiver for being gone that long? So you may have some issues on return.

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

Maintaining Permanent Residence

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

-Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

source:USCIS PR

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have the GC for 10 years, i had been in the states for 2.5 years waiting, i had the petition on domestic violence and abuse. But I am out of states for about almost a year, but i don't have a stamp in my passport when I left the Unites States.

Nobody gets stamped on departure.... Departure information might be shared with the DHS by the airlines......

Depending on what ALMOST a year is.... I might be nervous too.... You might find it necessary to get a re-entry permit

Not an adjustment of status question... moving thread

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.