Sign in to follow this  
bellachica21

Renewing Driver's license

4 posts in this topic

hello guys,I am renewing my driver's license,what proofs should I show to DMV? Is the extension letter will be enough to be able to renew it?If i don't have an extension letter yet what else can i show to DMV? I don't have anything from USCIS,we just moved a month ago ,I used my in laws address for the mail , I got something but i don't know what it is yet,she mailed it to our previous address she forgot that we moved out, we may have to go the post office to get the letter in time otherwise they will mail it back to sender.My driver's license expires on july 16,2009 and my greencard as well.We have an immigration appointment this coming wednesday July 15,2009,we're thinking to cancel it once i get my extension letter in time, what do you think guys? should i cancel it? or go ahead get a sticker or whatever to show to DMV.PLease if you have experienced about this Please do share. Thank you so much.

hello guys,I am renewing my driver's license,what proofs should I show to DMV? Is the extension letter will be enough to be able to renew it?If i don't have an extension letter yet what else can i show to DMV? I don't have anything from USCIS,we just moved a month ago ,I used my in laws address for the mail , I got something but i don't know what it is yet,she mailed it to our previous address she forgot that we moved out, we may have to go the post office to get the letter in time otherwise they will mail it back to sender.My driver's license expires on july 16,2009 and my greencard as well.We have an immigration appointment this coming wednesday July 15,2009,we're thinking to cancel it once i get my extension letter in time, what do you think guys? should i cancel it? or go ahead get a sticker or whatever to show to DMV.PLease if you have experienced about this Please do share. Thank you so much.

I took my 1 year extension letter, passport and permanent resident card along with the renewal notice from the DMV. They gave me trouble with it though, saying that they needed the approval notice to issue me a new license. After I yelled at them they took all the documents, gave me a temporary slip that lasts until September and said that their main office would need to process my documents and make the decision.

If I were you, I'd keep the immigration appointment, get the stamp and then go to the DMV with you passport and card. Even if the letter is the extension letter, the passport stamp isnt going to hurt you any. Better to have too much proof than not enough.

Good Luck!

I've read here on this board several times that the USCSI won't give you a stamp in your passport if you have the NOA1 letter . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thank you for the responses,I am worried i don't have my extension letter and NOA1 yet hopefully they won't get me a hard time at DMV,as what i've said i got a letter from USCIS but i don't what it is because it came to my in laws address, it is a bit incovenient because they have to mail it to us every mails they get for me ( thanks for their kindess).Anyways if they won't renew my driver's license do i have to start over again? take the written and driving test? grrr i didn't like the DMV instructor she was kind of bitchy, she won't shut up.,peace..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.