annelizabeth

Approved at long last!

13 posts in this topic

Wow that was fast and easy. I just got back to my hotel after my interview this morning at 8am in Indianapolis. I was in there for about 15 minutes max.

First of all the officer swore me in, asked me for my ID, greencard and passport and then said that we would do the test (old test) first. She asked me:

1.Colors of the flag.

2.Who votes for Congress.

3.Who is the commander in chief of the army.

4.Most important right of a citizen.

5.What do you need to be eligible for President

6.When was the declaration of Independence adopted.

She then just ran through very quickly the details on my application. By the way, despite advice to the contrary, they only want to know how many children you personally have had (I had included my husband's children as step children). She just crossed them out! She did not want to see any evidence of our previous divorces, marriage or my husband's citizenship. I was asked if I had taken any trips out of the country since applying.

I had to sign the two passport photos that I submitted with my original app. She said congratulations and she was recommending me for citizenship and that I should hear about my oath ceremony in the next two to three months. It would probably be held in the courthouse in downtown Indianapolis.

It was interesting to see my entire file there in one place after all this time.

You can see from my timeline that the citizenship part has been much slower than for most people, mainly due to having to go through Indy. Now I know why, because the office there is tiny and very low key. I was surprised that they gave me an 8am appointment since I live two hours away. I had to take a whole day off work and in the end we decided to drive up the night before and stay in a hotel. Oh well, all over now - apart from waiting for the oath!

Thank you everyone on VJ for helping me through this entire journey over the past 6 years or so. Couldn't have done it without you.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Annelizabeth,

Congratulations on passing your interview and citizenship test recently!

It's good too, that they gave you the option of doing the old test, since they took such a long time on your case. Did you study for the new test as well?

You deserve passing today too, especially after such a long delay!

Good luck with the oath ceremony coming up soon as well!

Ant

Wow that was fast and easy. I just got back to my hotel after my interview this morning at 8am in Indianapolis. I was in there for about 15 minutes max.

First of all the officer swore me in, asked me for my ID, greencard and passport and then said that we would do the test (old test) first. She asked me:

1.Colors of the flag.

2.Who votes for Congress.

3.Who is the commander in chief of the army.

5.What do you need to be eligible for President

6.When was the declaration of Independence adopted.

She then just ran through very quickly the details on my application. By the way, despite advice to the contrary, they only want to know how many children you personally have had (I had included my husband's children as step children). She just crossed them out! She did not want to see any evidence of our previous divorces, marriage or my husband's citizenship. I was asked if I had taken any trips out of the country since applying.

I had to sign the two passport photos that I submitted with my original app. She said congratulations and she was recommending me for citizenship and that I should hear about my oath ceremony in the next two to three months. It would probably be held in the courthouse in downtown Indianapolis.

It was interesting to see my entire file there in one place after all this time.

You can see from my timeline that the citizenship part has been much slower than for most people, mainly due to having to go through Indy. Now I know why, because the office there is tiny and very low key. I was surprised that they gave me an 8am appointment since I live two hours away. I had to take a whole day off work and in the end we decided to drive up the night before and stay in a hotel. Oh well, all over now - apart from waiting for the oath!

Thank you everyone on VJ for helping me through this entire journey over the past 6 years or so. Couldn't have done it without you.

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Thanks Ant. I was a bit worried that they might not offer me the old test, but she asked me which I wanted. I had read the new booklet but hadn't really studied the questions in detail.

Good luck with your N400 application - you must be getting ready to fill it out.

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Dec 27 NOA1

June 13 applied for SSN

AOS 2005

Removing Conditions 2007

Naturalization 2008

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Oh I forgot, I had to read "I go to work every day." and write "I bought a blue car today."

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Dec 27 NOA1

June 13 applied for SSN

AOS 2005

Removing Conditions 2007

Naturalization 2008

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Annelizabeth,

It's nice of them to offer you a preferance as to which test you wanted, without you having to bring it up, as technically, based on your application timeline, you have a right to choose to do either the old test or the new test. And based on what you posted about the old test and the new test, it doesn't seem like much of a difference between the two tests. So even if they did ask you about the new test, you probably would have passed anyways even though you just glanced over the new questions.

The reading and writing sentences that you had were easy too. Lol..no problem for you passing those!

Lol...luckily they didn't ask..."I bought a blue colo(u)red car today", in which you would have to be extra careful to spell in American English instead of British/Canadian English! Uggh...

Yes, I'm getting ready to fill out the N-400 application and assembling the paperwork for that (that is if I can find everything..lol..). Hopefully, all goes well there!

Meanwhile, I'm in the midst of waiting for labour (I'm due in 2 weeks+...yikes!) and packing (we're moving to a new house soon)!

There's so much to do!.... :wacko:

Good luck with your oath ceremony coming up too!

Ant

Thanks Ant. I was a bit worried that they might not offer me the old test, but she asked me which I wanted. I had read the new booklet but hadn't really studied the questions in detail.

Good luck with your N400 application - you must be getting ready to fill it out.

Oh I forgot, I had to read "I go to work every day." and write "I bought a blue car today."

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Congratulations! Hope you get your Oath Letter soon - definitely deserve it!!

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

:dance::dance: Congratulations and thanks for sharing your interview and test experienced! :thumbs::thumbs:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

Congratulations! :thumbs:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not to have to carry a green card and renew it every ten years, easier to get through the POE, don't worry about moving, don't worry about staying out of the country too long, not to worry about renewing your foreign passport, and not be concerned about deportation.

Those are our reasons, but think they want you to say voting instead.

Again, having good luck at the interview means getting a decent IO, sounds like you had good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
:D Got my oath letter yesterday for August 20th at 9am in Indianapolis. That was quicker than expected!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Dec 27 NOA1

June 13 applied for SSN

AOS 2005

Removing Conditions 2007

Naturalization 2008

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.